1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The unique nature of the Rockets package to Orlando

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 3, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

To preface, I don't know if the Rockets have the best package. Nor do I know if Morey is willing to give up everything Orlando asks for. I just want to clear up a misconception that because the Rockets have the worst headliner, doesn't mean our offer can't be the best.

First look at the other offers. The biggest commonality among the other offers mentioned so far is that they all feature one major but flawed piece.

The Nets offer Brook Lopez, 20ppg center. Great, right? Except he hasn't shown defensive ability nor the ability to rebound even at Kyle Lowry's level. Oh, and he's coming off a big injury and will be making $10+mil/yr.

Atlanta offers Horford, masqueraded at center for years... but is he really a center you can build your defense around? Also makes $12mil/yr

LA offers Bynum. Probably the 2nd best center in the game. Problem? History of injuries, will be a FA, and will be asking for max money.

What Orlando get for accepting such a package: They will be hinging their future on a flawed, highly paid player with huge risks that may either turn out to be genius, or blow up in their face. It's like putting your eggs in one basket. Can both make or break a GM's career.

Now look at what the Rockets can offer.

Motiejunas: Rookie contract with talent and ceiling comparable to a late top-10 pick this year
    Lamb, White, and Terrence Jones: Highest drafted rookies among teams seeking a trade, except Golden State who can offer Harrison Barnes. Overall high upside, even if relatively low chance of any one blossoming.
    Morris, Patterson: I have no clue what Orlando thinks of them
    Parsons: Seems a lock to be that typical lock-down defender in the Bowen/Prince/Battier mold that all contenders have, for the next decade. Cheap, cheap contract too.
    Lowry: Near all-star PG making $6mil/yr. Can easily be flipped for a lottery pick if Orlando wishes to tank.
    Kevin Martin: Not your typical salary filler, as half a season of 30mpg could easily net the Magic a solid 1st rounder from someone. So fills salary and worth probably a mid-1st rounder at the same time.

What the Rockets offer: Multiple chances for Orlando to find their next star. Sure, Lamb has a small chance to be a star. So may DMo. But you add the chances that Lamb, DMo, a high pick you get for Lowry, White, etc. and the odds no longer seem that bad. Furthermore, they all have very low salaries. Meaning that Orlando can further upgrade via FA or taking on salaries via trade. Rather than potentially hamstring themselves with an albatross contract.

Overall, not saying the Rockets offer is the best. But you have to admit, it can be attractive to the right GM. Is Hennigan that GM? I think there's a higher likelihood that he can be given his background.

1 person likes this.
  2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Don't give away the future of the franchise on the slight chance of retaining Dwight Howard.... for the thousandth time!

2 people like this.
  3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I appreciate your opinion and its a legit breakdown but there is 100 different threads yoto post this in and not clog up the bbs...

4. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I'd have to say Brook Lopez and Andrew Bynum are much bigger names than anyone we have. Our biggest name is Kyle Lowry.

5. smr6

smr6 Member

Why not? Brookyln doesn't have to cap to sign him as a free agent anymore so your chances (whatever they were before) have now gone up. Not saying it is a lock by any means, however if management felt it was worth it before then it would really be worth it now.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Whatever the Rockets have offered(if they have), not good enough (yet).

7. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I think the thing that most needs to be mentioned in this conversation is Houston's ability to bring back bad contracts like Turkgolu, Richardson or Duhon.

If Orlando wants to rebuild OKC style they need to do two things -- go young and cut salary for the future. Houston is offering expiring contracts like Martin and partial-guaranteed contracts like Livingston.

If you look at the Nets deal though, ORL would just be adding more average players to contracts and would not be able to shed any of their own bad contracts. They'll end up like the Rockets, drafting out of the top ten and playing out of the playoffs.

8. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

No Brook Lopez. He is just not good as a center.

9. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Kyle Lowry, considering what he does on both sides of the court and how good his contract is, is much much more valuable than Lopez.

Honestly, would you personally trade lowry making 6 mill a year for the next two years in exchange for Lopez making ~11 Mill a year for the next 4?

10. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Bynum is much better than anything the rockets can match. While I do agree with you that he could wind up being a bad investment if signed to a longterm contract, I think that's one you do every day of the week.

11. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I still say to take D-Mo, Parson, Lamb, White and future pics off the table! If they want to take a package of what is left, then fine. I suck it up and root for this D-Bag for a year then go back to hating him after he leaves.

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Context clues suggest the Rockets have yet to make an offer. The whole we are now ready to trade for Dwight wasn't going to make Daryl pick up the phone. He knows they are just fishing out offers right now and the most desperate teams always call first. He will play if by ear and hear out the offers. Why bid against yourself? He knows the Magic are more interested in what the Rockets have over the Nets and Lakers. Atlanta and Houston are the teams Orlando wants to make a deal with.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

For some strange reason, you just don't get it. We would be giving up ten years of our future for one season of Howard. Whose to say that Howard will play a full season? He is still rehabbing his back from last season. He has already alluded to the fact that he will not be 100% when the season starts, so we are already talking about him possibly missing games.

14. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

This is the reason I think we may be better off not making the trade. I see a lot people are not scared off by Dwight walking after 1 year because then we can "just tank" and "rebuild". However, we'll still be stuck with the bad contracts of Hedo, JRich, etc., impeding our ability to actually rebuild. I have turned to a "no" on the Dwight deal.

15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

If you have to give up some of our rookies, it has to be just two out of the three drafted and we should give up both White and Lamb. I definitely don't think we should give up White if we are giving up Montejunas, and no draft picks.

But that being said, a Howard deal would cripple the franchise for a minute because of all the filler crap we'd be getting alongside Howard, which did him and Orlando no good previously, so I say we shouldn't do it. I'd want Morey focused on moving Martin and Lowry, since they seem to be out the door mentally anyway.

16. smr6

smr6 Member

10 years? How do you come by that number? If we sucked as bad as you say after Howard left it certainly wouldn't take us 10 years to have a promising future.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Bynum yes, Lopez no.

Lopez is a proven loser, can't rebound and doesn't play defense.

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Once the Magic heard about the new 50% trade rule their eyes lit up. They want to get rid of everyone in a Dwight trade.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'm finding my self growing exponentially against this trade.

i'm all for cashing in the chips to get dwight, but without a second star he's going to leave, and we would've given up all of our young players and future picks. imagine years after dwight leaves, we are still giving the magic our draft picks?

if the team is so eager to get a star, rebuild already and draft one. trade scola, martin, and lowry for cap space and a stockpile of draft picks. take a step back during the season, but a step closer to the top of the draft.

1 person likes this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i'm sure that if we packaged all of our assets, we could get howard, but why do that? You saw what happened to New York when they gave Denver too much. Now Denver is actually a better team. Howard has back problems and we are flush with young talent. We have no idea how good D-Mo, T. Jones, White, Lamb, or even Morris can be. We need to find out what we have, and add to it, not pawn it for damaged goods.

1 person likes this.