1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

The Unbelievable Patrick Beverley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Feb 12, 2013.

1. ChippedToothLin

Beverley was a very smart player last night! Took the right charges and committed the right fouls.

2. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Bev doesn't back down from anyone, ever.
    Lin plays like he is scared of his own shadow half the time.

That is the biggest difference.

It is a bonus that Bev handles the ball better, is less turnover prone, plays better D, is a better shooter, better rebounded ,,,

1 person likes this.
  3. Fighton

Fighton Member

if you're comparing the two, how can you NOT look at what they've done over the season? i'm looking at what lin averaged as a starter vs. what bev averaged as a starter. bev got his starting opportunity during the playoff playing against derek fisher. lin didn't get a chance to start in the playoff other than game 1.

the question is what do you know the "upside" is greater with lin? well you don't know, but what you have are examples of each of their "highs".

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

Blah blah blah more averages. These LOFS never take anything into context. Bev only joined us for the second half of the season and didn't even have a training camp. When he joined he contributed right away and changed the intensity of the whole team. Lin has had plenty of time to try and impress us but just like similar players like him, his style is too inconsistent and will never be as efficient enough to become a championship calibur PG.

1 person likes this.
  5. Fighton

Fighton Member

just because someone doesn't agree with you means they are lin only fans... nice. what's the point of even countering with any valid arguments at all then?

6. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

funny thing is I love both players...but what you just said about LOFs is exactly what you guys do with Lin.

Like the statement you just made is absurd. I am sure your very limited analysis is better then moreys who signed both. He said he feels like could become an all start caliber player.

Lin is a ball dominant guard in NYK and without harden here he is a 21 and 7 player...thats who he is. If harden would act like a SG and do ANYTHING without the ball. Such as cut to the basket, roll off picks, use screens. The guy would be unstoppable and lin would get to play to his strengths. Its just stupid the way they play harden and lin.

So lin might not become an elite PG here...but if he goes somewhere else I guarantee you will see him flourish again.

7. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I like how he takes the physicality to guys like Fish and Jackson. Fish dick flopped when he shoved him once and it looked like Bev flipped him over. I enjoyed it.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If you would watch the games and pay attention you would see why Beverley is a better fit next to Harden. When Lin did start in game one, he was atrocious, hence the score. In game two, before Lin got hurt, he had continued the suckage from the game before.
    If the coaching staff were avid readers of Clutchfans and read this when i started it, we would be waiting for our next opponents by now.:p

9. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Beverly was drafted in 2009 by an NBA team. So for four years now he has not had a better NBA Career. He spent his time in the Euroleague which is far inferior to the NBA. That's why he took minimum salary for three years. The NBA is the best. As far as athletic abilty Lin scored a better total score than Derrick Rose and John Wall on the Basic Athletic Measurement test designed by a company that advises colleges and NBA teams on a players athletic ability. Morey stated that Lin had the best acceleration from a stop than any one measured by the Rockets. The rockets measure every basketball player that plays at the Toyota Center as they installed very compex equipment on ceiling of the Totota Center to measure this. His stopping time was reduced because he had just been one month into the season after his surgery. However, Morey stated that it was improving at a good pace. (Yes, his injury did have a major effect on his physical ability.) I had my Meniscus repaired and it took me many months to just walk comfortably.
    I am just mentioning the above because they are facts not opinion. I am in a field that deals with statistics on a daily basis and stats and facts always are more accurate than opinion. Indeed, I must subtantiate my opinion at work with measurement and facts or it will not be accepted. There are many books dealing with statistical prediction and prediction in general. You would be surprised by their findings. Amazon has many.

10. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

How do you know that's who he is??? You have NO IDEA its just what you hope for! This the kind of post that makes people dislike lin supporters. You have to trash Harden to make excuses for lin

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Does Derek Fisher start for the OKC Thunder? When Westbrook got hurt was Lin on him? Beverley played just like Lin in 5 games in this series and under the playoff atmosphere with upgraded physical play and mental play Lin has failed. Face it! The positive thing is there is tomorrow and in the future he will get another chance.

12. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Lin wasn't sucking in Game 2. He was playing well and had the Rockets within 2. When Beverley came in, we fell into a big hole.

Also, you can't discount the fact that Lin was playing against Westbrook while Beverley's play has mostly come against Fisher and Jackson. It's just not the same.

I think everyone agrees that Beverley has played better than expected in the playoffs and he is fearless. But only the LOH's think he's better than Lin.

13. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

All this Lin-Beverley stuff is head aching..... When u talk about upside, y not break it down a bit? LOF's say upside like Lin is God on O and D. Truth is, Lin is Trevor Ariza on D, he goes for steals a lot (and gets them often), plays solid D against solid PG's, and gets utterly blown away by fast points. The only upside to that is, play better D against the slower PG's and not gamble so much, thus, resulting in lesser steals. His quickness isn't going to improve, explosive point guards r gonna tear him up daily.

Beverley, on the other hand, is explosive and ferocious. His main strength is his D, and it's already fairly elite. His defensive upside has limits, because he is small, but he has hops, and an extreme knack for the ball. Comparing the Defensive Upside for the two, and Beverley is the clear winner, and is already far ahead of Lin currently.

On Offense, it's simple, Lin is better and most likely will remain that way. Again, upside? Lin has a better looking shot (it's actually pretty and quick), but he really isn't a good 3p shooter. Beverley can improve in time, prolly will, but his upside isn't as great. Lin has better court vision, nothing will change that (intangibles), but he gambles a lot. Beverley is ok, but clearly behind. Passing? Lin is a clear winner, bev is not bad at lobs at all.

Conclusion, jack ****. Upside is there for the taking, but who puts in the work is up to the man himself. Honestly, Beverley just f**king brings it, every play, every day. Lin is wildly inconsistent, didn't play last years playoffs, Knicks fans would tell u he was waiting for his payday. I see Beverley as the best rebounding point guard in the game, a top 5 lock down defender at the 1, hungry and fiery, who has improved his 3's. I see Lin has upside and potential, and we can wait for that, I guess.

14. BBAL

BBAL Member

Beverly came off the bench much the same way Lin came off the bench and created Linsanity. He had nothing to lose and is playing out of his mind for his NBA career. No doubt, as long he's hot, he should get his minutes and a chance to be the starter later on down the line.

But let's not forget the same thing that eventually cooled Lin down will quite likely happen to Beverly as well. Lin played even more out of his mind, at a higher level, as man numero 1, in NY during that stretch.

Then teams took notice. Had tape on him. He had to readjust. Then he got injured. He had to readjust. Now he's injured again in the playoffs, he's having to readjust.

All I know is right now Bev has been playing out of his mind and bringing a hesitant Lin back might not be in the best interest of the team. But as far as long term goes, people are jumping the gun on the Bev/Lin arguments at the moment. By and large Lin is progressing, and had a huge amount of pressure on his shoulders after Linsanity, probably something that wasn't fair to him and couldn't live up to.

I also don't see Lin as a p***y as some fans make him out to be. Passive at times sure, but he puts his body on the line time and time again and is not afraid to take hits. Not usually the signs of a coward. He just needs to learn how to dish it to get guys off his back.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Who was Westbrook playing against mostly when he got hurt?
    Come on ed_tx, earlier you and i were like homies. Now you wanna act like you don't even know me.:confused:

16. basketballholic

From Parsons' interview today speaking of Pat Bev:

"....he's one of the toughest guys I've ever met."

Pretty nice complement.

17. ed_tx

Yes, a guy who's scared of his own shadow has miraculously been able to excel in high school, college and then in the NBA, in NYC no less... That's total BS. Lin's got more guts than any of his critics who think they've got balls b/c they can type a negative post on Clutchfans while they munch on their pork rinds, and guzzle their Keystone beer.

Let's break down your points-
    1) Bev handles the ball better - FALSE. Bev only attempts simple passes that don't do anything to facilitate the offense. He dribbles the ball up the court and passes the ball off the Harden or Chandler. That's it. Heck, I can be an NBA PG if that's all it takes. Look at his assist numbers in the last 3 games that he started... as a starting PG, Beverley has had 3, 3 and 1 assist. That's what we want as a starting PG???

Lin would be ripped to shreds if he played 38 minutes and only had 1 assist the entire game. People would be saying how ineffective he is but with Beverley people overlook that or say that Harden and Parsons can dish out the asst. Wrong- the PG is the floor general and that's why they average more assists than any other position player.

2) Bev is less turnover prone - FALSE. If you played Bev the entire game, his TO numbers would be in line with Lin's. Also, Lin makes more risky passes which often times work out for the Rockets but sometimes don't. Bev can't make those passes. Lastly, Bev is way more foul prone. Those are just as bad as TO's.

3) Bev plays better D- FALSE. This is the one that kills me the most. Are you guys watching the game? Count how many times Beverley's man is wide open during the game. We have been lucky that OKC hasn't been hitting wide open jumpers but if they do in the next two games, it's going to be ugly. Beverly likes to float in the top corner of the paint and try to strip the ball from the guy driving to the hoop or to be in position to grab the rebound. That's all fine but not at the expense of leaving Derek Fisher or Kevin Martin or Reggie Jackson wide open.

4) Bev is a better shooter- FALSE. Bev has been the better shooter in the playoffs but Lin was consistently the better shooter for the season. People complained that 20 games with the Knicks wasn't a big enough sample size for Lin's success but all of a sudden we can say Beverley is a better shooter due to a couple of games?

5) Bev is a better rebounder- TRUE. Bev is a good rebounder, especially for a point guard. But when you don't play your man and float around the paint on D, you will have more chances to grab more rebounds.

I like Beverley. He's played better than anyone could've asked him to and he's stepped up big in the playoffs. But quit dreaming folks, he isn't as good as you guys make him out to be. Just do one thing and count how many times he gets beat on D or how many times his man gets a wide open shot off. Post that at the end of Game 6. Then let's talk.

1 person likes this.
  18. ed_tx

No Badlee, earlier you and I were totally disagreeing about everything and then we seemed to find a happy medium where we agreed on some key points.

I see all the great thing that Beverley does and I'm cheering for him louder than any of the folks around me. But I see where he still needs to improve too and mostly that's on D.

I do give you props for seeing the potential and talent in Beverley early on Badlee... but he's not a better player than Lin.

19. Fighton

Fighton Member

this doesn't make any sense at all...

does fisher start? no. but is he and jackson whom bev has played against the vast majority of this series? heck yeah.

"Beverley played just like Lin in 5 games in this series and under the playoff atmosphere with upgraded physical play and mental play". let me rephrase this; beverley played just like an average lin (below avg if you look at assist numbers) in 5 games in this series and under the playoff atmosphere with upgraded physical play and mental play, but also against inferior backup players.

lin failed in one game, but in that game, other than beverley, who didn't? did he get a chance to redeem himself before he got hurt? well he played one good half in game two but that's it.

20. ed_tx

Great take and the truest so far.