1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Unbelievable Patrick Beverley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

What is it with Beverley and Lin?
    Has anyone else seen the BROMANCE developing there?

First it was Lin and Douglas joined by the hip, they always sat next to each other on plane rides... etc. And Lin was devastated when Douglas got traded... looked like he was gonna cry.

Now its Lin and Bev always joking and poking at each other. Is it a point guard thing?

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

If someone gets called "dumbass" and "ding dong", they give you rep for having a sensible point?

By Clutchfans logic, okay then

3. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Beverley's FG% for the regular season was.418. Lin and Harden's was.441. Beverly has only shot about 180 times and according to Dean Oliver in Basketball on paper the more one shoots a point is reached when one becomes inefficient. Lin and the other Rockets starts have taken over 500 shots during the regular seassion. Oliver showed that even Michael Jordan became less efficient when he reached a particular number of shots per game. Human performance is very dependant on evironmental variables. A skill or talent that is displayed depends on many variable that are not necessarily related directly to a players absolute ability.

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Legler just said on Mike and Mike that Beverley could very well be Houston's starting PG next year and that him impacts the game more then Jeremy Lin.

5. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Alright, let's do that when they're both playing then.

6. gene18

gene18 Rookie

I have seen many Euroleague game and the stands are basically empty and they play in very small areas.

7. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I love Bev's intensity.

He brings it, no matter the circumstances, and refuses to back down from anyone... classic Chi-town floor general.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Look, i know you are not those things. I was just blowing steam. Still, i disagree with people on here all the time, but i always give rep when it is due.

9. zdrav

zdrav Member

They're both underdogs who had to scrap their way into the league, so they probably have some form of mutual respect and fondness.

They're probably both secure in knowing their roles too. Lin undoubtedly wants to get back on the court to show what he'd been showing in April can translate into the playoffs, but he's also not going to be panicked and bitter that Beverley is going to take his spot just after a game or two. Lin just went through an entire regular season while being scouted for and planned around, and he still put up a decent season. Nobody can take that away from him.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I have. Lin does have value on this team. In my opinion he was just not the best fit next to Harden. That was all.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Posted by DreamCoogRox fan in the Yahoo! thread about Beverley not apologizing. Thought it would be good here too:

12. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Agreed partially. They never had a training camp together so they might be able to fix it in October; but on the other hand, the coach does have some responsibility to maximize players' potential, design something to make sure that two of your best offensive players can work well together. I think they used the quick fix of just putting the ball in one player's hand instead of running something more creative.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Patrick Beverley is our new and improved Kyle Lowry.

14. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I think the two could be a great together. Let Lin be the 6th man, still getting 25 mpg and be the go-to guy in the 2nd unit.

And to think both are 24 and were out of the league just recently.

15. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I think this is so obviously correct that I am always surprised there is any debate at all.

Lin is a really good player, but Beverley works with the starting unit so much better than Lin. There are so many great point guards in the NBA, we need a defender like Beverley to get in their face, under their skin and make them work to even bring the ball up the court. We need him doing things without the ball in his hands -- blocking shots, steals, rebounds, loose balls.

Lin is great, but we have people who do we he does better than he does it. We do not have someone like Bev...and we need one.

Lin will be awesome off the bench, 6th man of the year type role, playing whenever Harden or Beverley sits, sometimes playing with both of them in a smaller line up.

16. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I don't agree you can say Beverley works with the starting unit so much better than Lin. Lin has played 82 games with the starting unit and helped them to a record of 45/37. And this is with a young brand new team with no training camp with his backcourt partner Harden. Basically they had to figure it out as they went.

Beverley has had 1 game as a starter and did really well. I think he still needs to play a few more games as a starter to really prove himself. I remember D-Mo and Smith did really well for a few games when they started and then faded so I think its too early to jump on the Beverley bandwagon.

Unless we get a star PF, I don't see why we would keep playing bev and lin in a small ball line-up against opposition that don't have two inside scoring threats. If we come across this situation and need to play a PF, then Lin should continue to start unless he regresses and Beverley comes off the bench for some high energy defence as he's been doing.

People are forgetting that Beverley had that offensive slump at the end of the regular season where he couldn't hit a shot. A lot of the comments on this thread are knee jerking to the last couple of games. With time comes clarity, until then have patience and don't rush to any hasty conclusions.

17. zdrav

zdrav Member

Whether Lin gets 30+ minutes as a starter or as a Ginobili/J.R.-type super-6th man, I don't really care.

Bottom line is that he should get starter-level minutes and duties, though.

18. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

19. pnr

pnr Member

If he gets 30 min coming off the bench, then that would justify him staying. But i think there are a bunch of teams out there that need starting pgs and lin would fit in well there. Idk morey will have decisions to make this summer

20. zdrav

zdrav Member

Lin was a significant reason why the Rockets exceeded all expectations this year. And you're gonna ship him out because of one bad playoff game, and entrust a guy with no starting experience in Beverley as the starter?