1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The UFC thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dragician, Oct 26, 2013.

1. mario_v

mario_v Member

He's just negotiating for more money. Mma fighters are severely underpaid athletes compared to NBA or baseball.

Average fighters are only making $20,000 for every fight they win. Dana white is making a killing off them.

2. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Especially with the terrible Reebok deal, the guys don't make money off of sponsors anymore. It's really messed up, there needs to be a fighters union.

Anyways, I think McGregor is full of ****, I won't believe it until the words come out of his mouth or UFC confirms.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

A lot of rumors going around, but the only one that makes sense is Conor and Nate are making a power play for more money. Supposedly Conor is backing Nate's push for more money in the rematch.....but who ****ing knows. This is crazy.

4. mario_v

mario_v Member

Just read an article on the new reebok deal.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/5/6...uch-fighters-will-be-paid-through-reebok-deal

Fighters who have between one and five fights in the UFC will make just $2,500 per fight under the tiered system. Fighters with six to 10 UFC bouts will make $5,000; 11 to 15 will get fighters $10,000; 16 to 20 fights earns $15,000; and 21 bouts and up gets a fighter $20,000. Title challengers will make $30,000 and champions will pull in $40,000

It's worst than I thought. They're making chump change. I always thought these guys were millionaires. Might as well retire and get a real job.

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm not sure if that's all the fighters are making. I'm not stating that compensation is relatively good compared to other sports. I just think that data is regarding only a portion of their pay, specifically, for uniform endorsements.

6. Victorious

Victorious Member

If Connor is gone, its up to Ronda to put UFC on her back!

They also get paid much lesser than athletes of that old dying sport, boxing. Just to put things in perspective, a few weeks ago heavyweight Charles Martin got paid $5M to fight British Heavyweight Anthony Joshua in the UK. And most people have never heard of either. Martin is an American HW who was gifted a title and Joshua never fought outside of England.

Now, some fans are saying Connor is doing this to get more money. Hmm doesn't this sound exactly like the same problems in boxing that everybody hates?? Might be trouble if more UFC fighters smarten up and "retire" as well. If you want the fighters to be compensated fairly, be prepared for things like this to happen.

7. sew

sew Member

LOL

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">MORE: Dana White pulled McGregor from the card after McGregor opted not to attend pre-fight appearances. <a href="https://t.co/4JLziTLczW">https://t.co/4JLziTLczW</a></p>&mdash; SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/722577468381638656">April 20, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The UFC is a complete soap opera.

9. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

any chance he'd fight in bellator or is it more likely he'll go in to movies?

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

WWE...

11. dragician

dragician Member

the problem with UFC is there's a lot of fighters waiting in line. Boxing has few and they're picky - so many diffewrent managers whjo don't see eye to eye. So if you give them the same money that boxers get paid, it's hard to keep it alive and grow.

Connor is asking for more? that's greedy. he has not fought a lot and and he should be thankful to Dana for making him great. He can't do it by himself.

you need to have more fights in every event because sometimes one fight lasts only a minute.

12. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

That would be crazy if Mac and Nate went to be the faces of Bellator.

13. Victorious

Victorious Member

https://www.facebook.com/thenotoriousmma/posts/1260441947357435

wow, i like Conor even more now. he just wants to focus on training and prep. hes 100% true about all the unnecessary promotion. but UFC is a business and I think Dana just wants as much press as possible. Maybe he feels they need it. Mayweather-Pacquiao had two big press conferences, in LA and NY, thats it. UFC got Conor all over the world lol

14. sew

sew Member

Lol. So true.

15. Beavis Stiffler

Speaking of Bellator.......

[​IMG]

It will be on tonight on the Spike TV Network. Starts at 7pm CT. If you want to get your MMA fix on before tomorrow's Jones-St. Preux UFC matchup, here is a good appetizer for it.

16. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

MM needs to move up, way too dominant in his weight class. Rogan needs to chill with the GOAT p4p talk though. He hypes up EVERYONE.

17. KingCheetah

Main event about to start -- has JJ really changed?

18. KingCheetah

19. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

will it even matter? OSP can be dangerous for one round though.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Why would you move up if he is feasting at his current weight?