1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The UFC thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dragician, Oct 26, 2013.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Buff steamz

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I wish he was commenting, I’ve heard enough of his Covid advice, but I enjoy his personality on fight nights, especially without the crowd Joes personality fills up the room.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Amazing fight, but god damn that reff ****ed up. Aldo took WAY too many shots at the end, sad.

4. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Am I the only astounded by volks taking the win over halloway?? Wtf...

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It seemed like a 3-2 for max.

That being said I’m pretty happy Volk won, I really want to see Volk vs Cejudo, no way Cejudo would have came back to fight max.

Volk vs Cejudo, if Volk wins run it back with Max, if Cejudo wins he likely retires again immediately, and Volk vs Max 3 can happen for the vacan title anyways.

So I’m happy with this outcome.

ryano2009 likes this.
  6. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Anybody got the link to the fight please?

7. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

See @ThatBoyNick first post on this page!

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That was nothing but toe stomps, you hate to see it.

9. Chamillionaire

Lame AF. Usman didn't want any of that standup. Clinching and foot stomps.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Can't hate the player.

Why stand and trade with a dude when you don't have to?

ferrari77 likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

From the fighters perspective that makes 1000% sense, I'm sure Masvidal is also very happy to get paid only to wind up with a couple of jammed toes with zero loss of respect from the fans.

For us fans though, a lot of people paid full price just to see that main event, only to wind up seeing a guy hold his opponent against the fence and play footies, that's just awful. Usman doesn't deserve to be the main event of a card again after that performance, no one wants to see that trash.

Yan vs Aldo was amazing, fight of the night, but **** that ref for letting Aldo take all that damage.

JayGoogle likes this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, I don't disagree at all. It sucks. This is why I don't pay for these events, love the shows...but honestly I never understood the price of Boxing/UFC PPVs...man that's another subject. No way 3-4 hours of entertainment is valued at 70+ dollars for me personally unless I'm in the audience then it is experience and priced higher...

For Usman he did what he had to do. It's boring to watch, much like GSPs reign, but dudes have to be ready for it.

This is where Gamebread missed a full camp for this. Maybe if he had one he would have been prepared for the spam takedown/carry my weight strat...but with only 6 days he was just hoping for some kind of exciting finish. Usman is just too smart of a fighter and once they were standing for any amount of time he was clearly outclassed and realized it and then would shoot.

I think he deserves a rematch for that, maybe not right away, but he should get rewarded for filling in like this.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Have you not seen usman fight before? If you want people standing punching watch boxing. Khabib does the same thing.

#2474 Air Langhi, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    ferrari77 likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I've never seen Khabib do what I saw last night, he constantly advances, one of the most fun fighters to watch, he man handles with his wrestling, Usman was getting stuffed, Usman held him against the cage and did toe stomps for for what seemed like 2/3rds of the fight.

A decisive win, I'll give him props, but awfull to watch due to his content of just holding him with weak foot/shoulder shots being spammed.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The last 40 or so seconds of the Aldo beat down was disturbing.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I counted exactly 70 seconds of shots after the fight should have been stopped. 18:06 should have been it after those 3 hits, the fight doesn't end until 19:16

1 minute and 10 seconds and (I counted) 60 shots unnecessary. That ref needs to be suspended and to go through training again. That was such an amazing fight, its such a shame it ended that way, sad for Aldo.

#2477 ThatBoyNick, Jul 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Uh..yeah why should he have wanted any or much of a standup with Masvidal? Does that make sense to you if you're a fighter and wrestling is your bread and butter? Have you never watched Usman fight before?

Sux for those fans that did but I don't feel bad for them. They should have paid full price FOR THE ENTIRE CARD because it was stacked. There are some in which it's just the main event worth paying for. That wasn't the case with this.
    Also, don't nobody care who the fans think deserve to be the main event of a card or not. He's the champ. He will be the main event of his next fight again...because he is the champion not because he is an exciting fighter that likes to stand and bang. If fans don't like that then they can tune in to Boxing. I'm sure Top Rank have some lovely fight cards on ESPN coming up...for free. Otherwise this is MMA.

One other thing fans forget...the old saying styles make fights. Kamaru doesnt stand and bang with a guy who has quick and heavy hands/a good boxer. Because that isn't smart. Now if he is fighting a wrestler he will stand and throw hands with them. Because he knows the wrestling for the most part wont matter in such a fight.

If Masvidal didn't get that knee in his fight vs Askren...as much as I dislike Askren, he would have tired Masvidal out, outworked him like Usman did and got the W. If Askren and Usman fought it would be on the feet the entire time. No takedowns or minimal takedowns. Because they both would know it'd be pointless to bother with that.
    Styles make fights.

I enjoyed the card overall- Aldo/Yan, Volk/Max, Rose/Andrade...all great fights and made purchasing the event worth it.

19. ferrari77

Usman was getting stuffed until the 3rd round when he started getting more takedowns. He took him down what- 5 or 6 times out of 16 attempts?
    Khabib is a better version of Usman hence the reason Khabib is Khabib. Usman is still a good fighter and most importantly a smart fighter. Not everyone can be an all out Gaethje or just a great mix like Khabib. Usmans goal is to be champ, stay champ and get the champ paychecks to take care of his family. A standup..all out exciting fight might make the fans feel nice but that does nothing for Usman if he doesn't win.

Gamebread had more than 6 days. He'd been training specifically for this fight since January. He had been training with some of the best wrestlers in the world...specifically for this fight. Don't be fooled by the only 6 days rhetoric.

The best thing about Masvidal not winning imo is that he would have held up the division. He said so already. He would have been looking for a super fight here or there rather than taking on Leon Edwards or Gilbert, etc.

20. ferrari77

I have no problem with how the ref handled it. Y'all are acting like it was exactly like Yamasaki when he wouldn't call a stoppage. The ref gave Aldo warnings multiple times to do something...unfortunately Aldo would then do enough to make any ref let the beating continue. It wasn't the refs fault Aldo kept responding and that Aldo's corner refused to throw in the towel. Finally Aldo didn't respond to the beat down and the ref was able to stop it. I was fine with the stoppage when it happened but I see a lot aren't. Meh.