1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Udoka knows Sengun lack of defense is a major problem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Apr 26, 2023.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

7’1 at minimum. Probably longer now that he’s grown.
    He isn’t slow, not fast either.
    Either way, I’m not gonna get into this with you again. We will see what happens. If Ime dismisses Alp and not some of the guards, that’s a bad look on Ime.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Factually incorrect, his wingspan is average for his size.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Neck and head are too long though. Honestly if you combined Evan mobley with Sengun's butt you'd have quite the player.

Subtweet @KingCheetah

chenjy9 and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

An average wingspan for normal people is considered short for NBA players.

The point is that Sengun is slow, he doesn't have a long wingspan (read: better than average), and he's a bit short for a C.

That's why his upside is capped.

maj21 likes this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He is a plus 3-4 wingspan. That’s average to above average for an NBA player.

Drift Monkey and Zen Tabak like this.
  6. maj21

maj21 Member

Not if Ime improves the team and wins. It’s not all about Sengun’s feelings. You’re right, we just gotta wait and see. Let’s just hope this team wins!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I trust Ime, I think he sets the culture. But I don’t think Alp is the one that needs the culture change

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Just keep that same energy after the Rockets move on from Sengun.

9. invocux

invocux Member

Has longer wingspan than Sabonis. 6'11 to 7'1. It's not that bad. It doesn't cap his offensive ceiling but yeah defensively i think he can be average at best which is good enough if he keeps being a good overall offensive player.

Drift Monkey and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Did he mention any other players specifically? Or did someone bring up Sengun and this was his response? Wondering what the context is, would really like to know what the Rockets and Ime see as the franchise players and if they have some clarity after this season, or are going to still try and figure that out. I noticed that Jabari got zero 1st, 2nd, or 3rd votes for ROY, which is pretty awful, so as things sit I am not sure about this roster at all if Sengun is not looked as a franchise guy, I guess we have no one yet.

cml750 and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Both Jalen and Jabari had disappointing rookie seasons and Jalen had a disappointing sophomore season.....those 2 are a big part of why the Rockets are yet again in a position to potentially get a top draft pick.

That said, they both flashed at times, so there's some hope that they turn into something decent eventually, especially with a real coach.

12. fattz

fattz Member

I want a coach that make the players we have better. A coach that make a system for what is here.

13. invocux

invocux Member

I think he was trying to say that we have no depth at 5 which is correct.

cryout75, cml750, mirdirir and 3 others like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m a Rockets fan first, so as long as it benefits the team I’m good.
    You keep the same energy when KPJ is released. Since you still think he was one of the better players last year

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He has quick footwork on offense. I could slap you with a highlight clip. No reason why he would suddenly be unable to move quickly on defense.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Really wish Sengun wasn’t so polarizing. All he’s done is improve every year and be our best player. No player is perfect at 20.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's what your girl said.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If they "release" KPJ, that'll be incredibly stupid, and I'd call them out for it....honestly, the GM would need to be fired for that kind of move.

Of course, that has literally no chance of happening, so when sticking to realistic possibilities, I'm down with anything that makes the team better.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

This is the context. They asked him what he would like to add with the cap space and he said shooting first and foremost, then, “just some contrasting pieces to what we already have, whether it’s bigs, alperen does some things really well but we’d like to add some different types of bigs…”

How you idiots twisted this into the coach wanting to replace Sengun is an impressive perversion of the English language.

Everyone knows this team lacks and needs rim protection. Whether that’s alongside Sengun or as his back up, it does not inherently mean they are looking for someone to replace him. Last I checked Sengun is still the best player on the team so unless it is for someone better you guys are going to have to live with him on the team, because Udoka came here to win.

Also on a radio interview after this they asked the same question again and Udoka only mentioned shooting. Again, the original question was about free agents using our cap space, go look up the 2023 list, can you even find any FA bigs that are better than Sengun to start over him?

clos4life, cryout75, cml750 and 7 others like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, yup, they need "more options" to play C because they are so happy with the guy they have who is the exact opposite of the kind of player the coach wants.

When do we EVER hear a coach say something like that when they are happy with the guy they have? ESPECIALLY in their first ever press conference as head coach?

Isn't that typically when you fawn over your players?