1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Udoka knows Sengun lack of defense is a major problem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Apr 26, 2023.

1. maj21

maj21 Member

Sengun is awful on defense at the most important position on that side of the ball. Ime knows what’s up. Also, please stop bringing up Al Horford. He’s a really good defender, especially when he was younger. Sengun will never be like him

Stephen_A likes this.
  2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I said before I think Alpi and Horford are similar in styles. They made it work with Williams as a backup.

I think a lot is going to depend on who we get in the Draft. If we get Wemby, I think Alpi could very well be on the move. Not because he isn't talented, I just think there will be a log jam.

Wemby, Smith, Eason, KMJ, FA/Cam Johnson, FA/Backup big, Tate, Garuba....That's 8 w/o counting the back court

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Any truth to the rumor that Sengun will be replaced by perennial Udoka favorite Daniel Theis, while #1 draft pick Zach Edey apprentices?

#43 SamFisher, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  4. invocux

invocux Member

I feel like he's too good to sit so he will ask for his trade eventually which you can't blame him for that. I mean technically if we get Wemby given his skillset you can't expect them not to start him so Sengun will sit for sure. Then again i don't want us to get Wemby because i know he'll be an injury prone player in this league. No way that dude stays healthy i mean no shot. So you are essentially letting a diamond rot on the bench for a kid one bad landing away from missing 100 games. I guess i see it as shooting yourself in the foot than taking a risk.

cryout75 likes this.
  5. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Head honcho finna last longer on this squad than Sengawd :eek:

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I said before I think Alpi and Horford are similar in styles. They made it work with Williams as a backup.

I think a lot is going to depend on who we get in the Draft. If we get Wemby, I think Alpi could very well be on the move. Not because he isn't talented, I just think there will be a log jam.

Wemby, Smith, Eason, KMJ, FA/Cam Johnson, FA/Backup big, Tate, Garuba....That's 8 w/o counting the back court

7. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

why do I feel like the thread title and the Kelly Iko tweet are unrelated/out of context. smh

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

watch the presser, don't take the Kelly Iko tweet as signifying anything

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Great post again!!

I see them having to trade Sengun, Porter, Tate, Nix, Garuba and possibly Christopher
    for better experienced players. Y

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

FA: Brook Lopez, Jakob Poeltl, Bismack Biyombo

Trade: Myles Turner, Clint Capela

Biyombo is going to be the only one willing to back up Sengun.

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

cued it up to the Sengun comment

12. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Damn. "Udoka is racist!!!" thread coming soon

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

"Contrasting pieces to what we already have" implies that he wants someone complementary, not instead. Because otherwise, we wouldn't have it. I mean, getting a defensive, tall backup center who can jump really high obviously makes sense. I even have it in my signature lol.

cml750, Y2JT, Boii and 1 other person like this.
  14. maj21

maj21 Member

Remember, me and you just be making **** up about Sengun bc we’re haters. Haha

34to11, Stephen_A and rocketchamp like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I think it is pretty ambiguous in terms of Udoka's meaning. Certainly the folks that were listening on RocketsWatch were just about evenly split on what it means

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's correct.

cml750 and maj21 like this.
  17. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

At the end we are talking about a HC who gave away D.Schroeder+2 players for Daniel Theis. That was the most important objection to hire Udoka, not he f...ed some exec's wife.

Ime Udoka is in a desperate position to prove himself. People are not convinced yet about his effect in his solo Celtics year. Whether he made them finalist or the team was already finalist caliber? People are going to decide in accordance with his Houston days.

Rockets is a much better team than stats suggests. Hope Udoka is also as good as we hope. If he can't use Alp properly, it will be Houston/Udoka problem. Udoka's Boston reign shown us he is not very good at handling FC which costed Ime/Celtics a ring.

For Alp: Eventually he will be employed by one of the big market teams. Enjoy as long as you watch him in Rockets jersey.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Coach wants a guy who can shoot and play defense at center WHY NOT SENGUN???

Oh yeah. Because each of those qualities for Sengun is a buttcheek.

anthony59237 likes this.
  19. riko

riko Member

Sengun and whatever for Claxton and Cam Johnson

34to11 likes this.
  20. maj21

maj21 Member

Everything will be okay. He was talking about adding, not replacing him or anything. So you don’t have to worry just yet