1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Udoka knows Sengun lack of defense is a major problem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Apr 26, 2023.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

DeAndre was never even a good defender either. He blocked shots, whoopy ****ing doo. He was a terrible one on one defender and his help defense was lacking since he wasn't always the smartest player out there. His athleticism and playing with CP3 really did make the difference.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

all true, but he was still not as bad as Jokic…he’s been a mannequin on the court for years now tho

maj21 and ElPigto like this.
  3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I’m a Sengun fan and think he’s a great player and potential all star, but most of us realize he’ll be limited on defense and should be backed up by a rim protecting big.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

His P/R on defense is weak too.

Stephen_A likes this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

i agree with this entirely...

Also, everyone on the roster sucks at defense except Tari (maybe Tate, but he barely played and is way undersized)

6. mirdirir

mirdirir Member

I don't know if there is any other fanbase having this much idiots who tries to shred their 20 year old high potential center in each and every opportunity.

7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Lol this is classic ClutchFans.

Udoka makes a comment about literally making this team better by adding bigs that are different and people take it as he wants to get rid of Sengen.

Even if he did want to add someone other than Sengen, I'd view it as a positive because... well... he's good at his job and probably sees deficiencies in Sengen's game.

Y2JT, Jags, sefril and 6 others like this.
  8. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Do you guys realize that you don’t have any idea what you are talking about? You are fans, not coaches. The best are the really arrogant pricks among you that really believe you know something, lol.

MorningZippo likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He made a comment that he's looking for different things at that position, I think most people realized that they'd be looking for a different kind of player at the 5, so it's likely that if they can they'll move on from Sengun so that they can get those "different things" that they are looking for that Sengun will simply never be able to provide. I'm not sure what else that could mean.

If he said "yeah Jalen Green does some nice things, but we'll be looking to get someone at the SG that can score efficiently and play solid defense" it would mean the same.

Notice how he didn't say that though.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  10. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I'll believe it when I see it. Sengen + 20th pick should get you in the lottery but what's really available? I guess this where we really have to trust this Udoka and Stone partnership.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It depends on where the Rockets land in the lottery. If they win the lottery, they can just pick Wemby and run Wemby and Smith playing a bit of positionless 4/5. They could then use Sengun and picks plus salary matching to try to make a run at Jaylen Brown.

That would drastically improve the defense and shooting at the 3 and 5 no matter who you pencil in as technically the 5.

12. invocux

invocux Member

Honestly watching Gobert get beat up by Jokic doesn't make me wanna move Sengun and get a guy just because he can jump 3 inches higher than Sengun does. Centers with such high iq is incredibly rare. He can be a 20 ppg player in 2 years and his defense will surely improve a little. Replacing him with a slightly better Bruno Fernando doesn't sound like a good idea to me at this point. When you look at the big picture this team has far bigger problems than Sengun's subpar defense which Ime mentioned today.

Landing Wemby would make things interesting tho i might consider trading him if that happens

clos4life, cryout75, DCkid and 4 others like this.
  13. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Trade - him !!
    Trade - him !!
    Trade - him !!
    Trade - him !!
    Please!

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

If we get #1, Sengen is gone gone. You could hold onto him for a bench role this year which would be awesome but yeah... bye Sengod.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

They don't even play the same position.

cml750 and Y2JT like this.
  16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Jabari at the #4 or someone that Udoka likes per the reason this thread was made.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I actually like him as a player a lot, so I'd be all for hanging on to him, but can you imagine how insufferable his fans will be if he's put in a bench role?

I mean, even if it led to the Rockets winning a championship next season, they'd constantly throw a tantrum until something changed.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He's too good for it. I am not concerned at all.

cml750 likes this.
  19. maj21

maj21 Member

Bro, like how many times have we said this? Lmao

20. TheBeastSystem

if we get wemby a pedestrian defensive big will work

if we don't get wemby might consider myles turner for pick 20.