1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Tyler White Wager

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CometsWin, Sep 22, 2015.

1. HTown2017Champs

Stubbs is an interesting option for a lefty catcher. Woudn't mind platooning him with Maldonado, but I still dream of somehow landing Realmuto. Thing is, the outfield is where nearly all our lefty hitters are. A lefty hitting infield option would be nice just for flexibility. I wish one of Altuve/Bregman/Correa/White/Davis was a left handed or switch hitter, but it is what it is. I really do want to see Reed given at the very least, A FAIR CHANCE for once. We can use a lefty power bat. If he fails, then I'll stop complaining about him not being given a fair chance.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Why does it matter where the lefty bats are located? The position they're playing has no bearing on their batting.

3. HTown2017Champs

Um, if you want 5 lefties in the lineup, that's not possible if they're all outfielders (unless you want to move one of them to the infield at the expense of defense).

4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Agreed completely. I would give him 200 or 300 ab’s at DH to start the year and if he flops cut bait and get a veteran bat for peanuts at the trade deadline. Those guys don’t typically cost much in prospects for a professional hitter that’s a 3 month rental if Reed sucks. Or maybe Alvarez will be ready by then. Or Davis. Or fisher. Or Beer in a crazy world. But probably deadline deal.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You could go Stubbs or McCann, kemp, Reddick, Tucker and Reed plausibly if you wanted to get 5 lefties in the lineup for the hell of it. I wouldn’t but it’s possible that could be a lineup one day out of 162 next year.

6. Buck Turgidson

Meh. Stats are stats.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

You don't need 5 lefties in the lineup. I'll let you guys continue this odd conversation.

Go Tyler!

8. HTown2017Champs

I was just making a point about positions and handedness (of their bats, not gloves). For a while I heard people bring up how most of the Rockies outfielders bat lefty, and I never really though why it was a big deal, until I realized that it makes pinch hitting for them (against a tough lefty reliever) more difficult, and they have few platoon options against lefty starters. But whatever, if it worked for hem it can work for us. Having Marisnick as a RHB OF with excellent defense and speed really helps. Hopefully he can raise his average and drop his K rate (his numbers before going to the DL looked very promising), I like what he adds to the team. If we want to pinch hit a lefty for a RHH infielder, I'm sure Hinch can find a way.

kaleidosky likes this.
  9. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

At the time, I was right there with you...now, I'm not convinced he'll get to 400. :/

marks0223 likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

??? Do you think those guys have contributed a lot more than White or do you think White has contributed so much, albeit in a limited time, that it is insulting to compare him to those four's combined production?

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the first year that Tyler White has not made a pitching appearance. Why is Hinch holding him back?

12. Buck Turgidson

I think it's a fun but stupid comparison, devoid of context or really anything but a sum of numbers.

13. CrashDavis

CrashDavis Member

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha I had forgot about this until I started perusing the board after the ws win. Try 2 years before we knew DA wanna be know it all message board hero. Did this guy ever pay up???? Doubt it.

Don’t try to act like I’m all hot and bothered by this either, it just gave me a good laugh hahahahahaha

Nook likes this.