1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Tyler White Wager

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CometsWin, Sep 22, 2015.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You know how many guys on the team are doing that? 2. I like TW, but its unlikely he could be our 3rd best hitter.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

White has done that over his last ~200 plate appearances. While I would say it is unlikely that he continues to put up those numbers, it isn't out of the realm of possibilities. ~10-30% chance. Basically, about the same chance he falls apart going forward. Right now, it looks like one of the 1B/DH jobs in 2019 is his to lose (Gattis is a free agent that is unlikely to be re-signed).

3. Screaming Fist

I think that line is doable but it will be interesting to see if he can maintain his improved BB%. If it heads back down to 6-9% then he's going to have trouble maintaining a high enough OBP to be that productive of a hitter. Even then he'd probably still be an above average hitter (although not great for a DH/poor 1B) given how productive he is when he puts the ball in play

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

White looks really locked in right now

rockets1995 and vince like this.
  5. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

White looks really locked in right now and he is doing it with a pretty sustainable 306 babip. Its not like he has been super lucky.

#105 MrBear1, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If he has a long and healthy career, yea, he might do that for a season or two, sure.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

To me, he looks like a more consistent Gattis with a better OBP.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Tyler is a Gattis DH replacement who can take the field occasionally.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I expect White to have at least 50% more walks than Gattis and a higher BABIP. About the same K rate. The question is the power. White is locked in right now. He's not swinging at balls. He's not even swinging at that many strikes. He's only swinging at strikes he likes.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I think (outside of rehab assignment) Tyler White has played his last game in the minor leagues.
    good for him. I’ve always rooted for the guy bc 37th round pick with no pedigree blah blah blah. What a cool story.

11. conquistador#11

lol the white power gif still makes me laugh 2 years later. that's all. no comment.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Well, that is probably every hitters MO, at least in theory :)
    Translated, he must be seeing the ball real well. Some other guys I wont mention take balls down the middle and swing at the ones out of the zone (not seeing the ball real well) :(

13. Nook

Nook Member

This is why I felt pretty strongly that he would have a .400 OB% if he could get his average up to .300.

I am not quite as high on him as I was before. He has made adjustments so far, but he also hasn't been able to hit some pitches I thought he would be able to.

His approach, dedication and instincts are really strong.

The power and how high he creeps his average up to are going to make or break him as a Audrey Huff type player or something more.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  14. vince

vince Member

White is a winner. Experts have stayed stuck on the fact he had a Non prototypical baseball body. But he produces constantly. And I think he’s seen enough big league pitching, that he can be successful while making necessary adjustments.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Let’s not get too carried away. Guys like Springer, Altuve, Bregman and Correa are winners. White is a guy. Nothing wrong with that. But maybe it’s just a different definition of “produces constantly”. I hear that for a 1B/DH and I want middle of the order, with pop, etc.
    Nothing at all wrong with White. He’s a bat 7th hide in the field you aren’t going to be a playoff type team if he’s one of your best 3 or 4 hi
    Aubrey Huff is an interesting and pretty good comparison. That guy was a solid player with a decent length career and if that’s what White turns himself into (and I think that he’s got a fair shot at that) that such a success story.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

What do you base this on? Curious.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think his college coach made a comment wrt how much work Tyler put in to get his body into MLB shape.

CometsWin likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Tyler White now has a 107 wRC+ for his MLB career. That is the same as Josh Reddicks career wRC+ and beats the career wRC+ of Yuli Gurriel (106), Marwin Gonzalez (102), and Jake Marisnick (78). It falls just short of the 111 Brian McCann and Evan Gattis have both put up over their careers.

The point is, if you think the Tyler White we’ve seen over the last 2 seasons is real, he’s an elite hitter on par with Altuve, Springer, Bregman, and Correa. But even if you don’t, and you take the average of his production over the course of his entire career, which includes his shitty rookie year, he’s still a good hitter on par with Gattis, Reddick, and Gurriel. I’m really excited to see what he does when he (hopefully) gets to play everyday next season.

19. Projecks15

Projecks15 Member

White definitely needs to DH over gattis

20. Nook

Nook Member

"His body scared a lot of scouts, quite frankly," Luhnow says.

The Astros liked White primarily for his offensive statistics in college. But White also had the support of Bittner, who was unafraid to face derision from his peers for bringing the overweight kid into the Astros’ organization.

"I credit him for not being scared to take a guy who looked like he played in a beer league," Luhnow says.

The Astros put it to White bluntly after his first professional season — he had to lose weight.

"When he first came in, he was a little out of shape, kind of portly," said Astros director of player personnel Quinton McCracken, who previously was the team’s farm director. "We sat him down and told him we love the hit tool, but you’ve got to get that body in better shape so you could have more mobility at a corner spot.

"That following spring, he came in a changed man physically. Everyone was surprised when he came into camp. He had a totally different body."

Bittner saw it as testament to White’s dedication — players rarely lose weight in the minors, eating the wrong foods, eating at late hours, eating and then sitting for hours on long bus rides.

White says he had not worried about his weight at Western Carolina.

https://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/tampa-bay-rays-announce-2019-schedule-082218

Here is an article discussing it. I heard it from people that were around White while in the minors. He was the hardest working player on the team.

rockets1995 and CometsWin like this.