1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Turk for Batman?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aznoob, May 20, 2008.

1. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-magic1808may18,0,7857720.story?page=2

I know its about Haslem and all, but click on the "read" link.

Hedo Turkoglu is the most tradable player they have to do any kind of a major deal. His salary is low ($6.8 million) for what he produces, making him attractive to a variety of teams. They could move him to Seattle to get Nick Collison, a true power forward who averaged 11.1 points and 12.2 rebounds in the last 14 games. He averaged 9.4 rebounds on the season. They could get guard/forward Shane Battier of Houston, who could smother Hamilton in the playoffs. Or they could even try to pry power forward Josh Smith out of Atlanta in a sign-and-trade deal that would require a few more pieces.

What do you guys think of Turk for Bats, straight up?

2. ibm

ibm Member

done deal.

i'd ask them to include a pick to start the conversation, but if they resist, then i'd give up on that... :p

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Surely they aren't even considering moving Turkoglu after last season.

4. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Yes I would do it in a heartbeat.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

He'll be an expiring contract. I guess if he repeats this season they might have trouble re-signing him with Dwight and Rashard locked up on long-term max contracts.

The Rockets do that trade and it could end up a one year rental. Bad move IMO.

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Morey would have to jump all over that. Hedo can score, shoot the 3, handle the ball, and facilitate the offense. Just draft or sign a defensive swing-man and we're in business.

7. ABtheTerrorist

I am a little skeptical.
    Turk was their best player this year. If they needed a play or a basket, especially at the end of the game, they went to him and not to Howard or Lewis.

Understand, I realize how good Dwight is and will be. But he doesn't create shots for himself very often.

I digress...I did not mean to talk about Dwight, but more to show how important Turk is to them.

I am down w/ that trade.

8. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Yea, that deal would be fine with me, but I doubt it would be with the Magic Organization.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He won't be moved IMO,I'm quite sure the Magic will re-sign him. What's the rule on obtaining Bird rights after acquiring a new player?

10. saleem

You have correctly pointed out how important Hedo is for them. Why are you down with the proposed trade?

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

God I'm glad Shane's nickname never became "Batman".

12. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

13. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

if he signed an extension id be all for it

14. tm1ym11

tm1ym11 Member

Turkoglu would be a great fit for our team but not as a one year rental in exchange for Bat. Plus Turk would be looking for some near max salary if he puts up the same numbers he did this past season

15. saleem

True,that's why I asked how long does it take to acquire a new player's Bird Rights. I feel that he won't go beyond 10M and the Magic will probably re-sign him or trade him to another team.I don't think it will be the Rockets.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He can't guard SG's so that automatically puts too much pressure on T-Mac. T-Mac playing great offensively and average defensively for 4 quarters is already an issue let alone him chasing around Kobe all night.

Turkeyglue is a good player and I like his game -- I just don't like him starting at the three next to T-Mac. Defensively, Turkoglu is the antithesis of everything we're trying to do with our 2/3 defensive match ups.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

No.

Simply because adding Hedo won't get us over the hump. It's almost like an equal trade, wont do us any good.

18. saleem

Your post has made me rethink. He is playing better than a 6th man and could help us out offensively but I agree his defense is poor. I have seen him play in arenas,he tries to slow his opposite number defensively but it's hard for him to get the job done. Hedo also does best when he dribbles the ball and drives to the basket.He also is a decent passer but he needs to have the ball in his hands most of the time to be successful which would make it very difficult for him to play with Tracy. He is a nice fit for the Magic and needs to stay with them.

#18 saleem, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
  19. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I don't really know if this is true or not. On one hand, Turkyglue has been a star all season, but does the Magic management want to get more for their money's worth in Lewis? Howard as well. Maybe the Magic are looking to trade down in him because they want to open more shots for the other two stars. Shard is untradeble, and so if Howard, so that basically leaves Hedo to be traded.

20. DrJB25

DrJB25 Member

any day of the week!! that gives 2 play makers in mgrady and hedo