1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The true Stupidity of Don't Ask Don't Tell

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, May 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Earlier this month Steven Green was convicted of the rape and murder of a 14 year old iraqi girl Mr. Green was enlisted in the army of a clause waiving his criminal past. Although not a hardened criminal, the army is willing to waive criminal backgrounds because of low enlistment rates and will not consider enlisting open gay recruits.

2. Fatty FatBastard

You can join the Army and be gay. Just don't go flaunting it. We all have certain sexual deviances, but most of us can keep it to ourselves.

I don't know about y'all, but I certainly don't want to see this running around Afghanistan.

[​IMG]

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

That's look good to me. It's the easiest way to get rid of them.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First your ignorant comment about hiring the head of NASA because he might be black, and now this. Are you trying to be ignorant, and bigoted as some sort of joke?

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

OMG! The gays have conquered Europe!

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think this speaks more to the stupidity of allowing convicted criminals into the military.

7. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Yeah I really don't see what one has to do with the other.

8. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I read the link from pgabs -- but missed what he was previously convicted of? Horrible horrible story. But no mention of previous convictions in the story. Athough it is two years old, so maybe more info came out?

I mean...I mean....depends on the previous record, doesn't it?

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

it wouldn't have to do with each other if there wasn't a shortage forcing you to accept criminals while kicking out perfectly fine service people who decide to come out the closet

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The military is also allowing not-so-secret white supremacists to join.

It seems like we're really hard up for volunteers...

11. fmullegun

The shortage is caused by the war, not the gays. Gays or not you would still have a shortage.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

basically the military is saying being openly gay is a worse offense then a criminal.

messed up.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

so you would rather accept criminals than people who declare themselves as homosexual

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

and no one ever said the shortage was caused by not accepting people who are openly gay. you have an incredible way of twisting an argument.

the debate is how to fill the shortage

15. fmullegun

I said they are two issues. They have nothing to do with each other.

Let me ask you a question.

You want to discharge and not allow anyone who was charged with possession of alcohol to be enlisted?

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

fmullegun:

Are you for or against gays serving openly in the military?

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't think you should lower your standards while another perfectly fine group is willing to serve. this guy was not only guilty of alcohol pocession that I admitted wasn't serious, he was a high school dropout

meanwhile, officers who graduated from west point who come out the closet are being discharged

18. fmullegun

My dad was a high school dropout and served in vietnam. He volunteered in 1964. You are saying people with a GED should not be let in? What about this case says we "lowered our standards"?

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i'm saying gay people should be allowed to serve if you lower your standards to fill gaps, such as high school drop outs. its insulting to gays

20. logicx

logicx Member

1) The shortage in the military is not caused by a shortage of homosexuals. Even if homosexuals wanted to join and be open about it, that wouldn't fix the shortage. As stated by a previous poster, the shortage is caused by foreign conflicts in Iraq/Afghanistan and our troop presence in other countries across the world. Once again, the enlistment of openly homosexual people will not fix this problem.

2) Homosexuals not being allowed to openly express their sexual preference may not be fair, but it's what has been decided to prevent distractions/issues that would arise. What kinds of distractions/issues? I don't know, I can't think of any right now, maybe somebody could give an example.

Key point: This policy is not and was never in place because the United States of America or its armed forces hate/dislike gays. It was intended to prevent problems and was put into place in 1993 when being openly homosexual was not as common as it is now.