1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Trenches: Where our focus needs to be

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by newAge_Rockets, Nov 29, 2013.

?

Which area of the Texans would you improve with the first round pick?

1. The lines

45 vote(s)
    60.8%
  2. The Qb

29 vote(s)
    39.2%
  1. Nick

Nick Member

Well sure. I never said they go zero blitz. Hell, the Texans sacked Brady pretty good yesterday as well... on a well designed blitz.

The problem is, elite QB's figure those things out and make adjustments... regardless of their lines. The Texans attempted several more blitzes, and got smoked.

Like I said before, O-lines are pretty awful when they consistently get beat/allow pressure against BASE sets (something the 2002 Texans did frequently). This line is not that bad... of course it could be better, but you don't use a top pick in this year's draft on a lineman. They'd have to get a good enough package worth it to trade down.

2. solid

solid Member

Peyton Manning isn't coming here, so it really doesn't matter. Who is? And no matter who it is, the offensive line has to be fixed i.e. bye bye to the Derek Newton experiment. In some ways, Peyton Manning can make everyone look better; he is a coach on the field, but, again, he is not headed our way. And the Texans are so messed up, as I said before, I don't even think he could compensate for all the deficiencies.

3. solid

solid Member

You are a coach aren't you? Well, how would you help Kennum to read the blitz better and how would you "scheme" to get him better protection, more time. I know it can be done.

4. Nick

Nick Member

All of that works to a point. You can surround your QB with pro-bowl lineman, pro-powl WR's, and pro-bowl RB's... you can have a hybrid of Bill Walsh/Mike Martz/Don Coryell/Sean Payton as your offensive coordinator/QB coach... and you can have a QB with a rocket for an arm, and somebody who can outrun everybody on the field.

At the end of the day, you still need the QB to be able to pick out the right WR, and deliver an accurate pass with good timing.

The QB's who can do that consistently stick around and win... the ones that struggle don't stick around very much. The ones that can do it in the face of a blitz, or when the line is breaking down end up in the hall of fame.

Basically what I'm saying is that they've likely already instituted the teachings, scheme recognition devices, and stressed the "bail-out" options. They've probably even dumbed down the offense for him... which is something nobody wants to hear (considering the pevious QB didn't look very "genius"-like with the full playbook). In the end, Keenum needs to show the ability to pick out the open WR, and deliver the ball accurately.

5. solid

solid Member

Do you see any improvement over the games he has played, and do you think he can adjust and adapt. He makes accurate throws; seems like he has stronger arm than Schaub. He is such a nice kid, I have been rooting for him, but he hasn't made the best of a once in a life time opportunity. Unfortunately, if he suddenly "gets it" he could ruin our number one pick chances. Ironic.

6. Major

Major Member

Aaron Rodgers led the league last year in being sacked and in QB Rating.

In 2011, he was #6 in being sacked and #1 in QB rating - and went 15-1.

In 2009, he was #1 in being sacked and #4 in QB rating.

All of those teams won 11 or more games and made the playoffs. 2010 was the year he was sacked the least, they won the fewest games (10) and he had his worst QB rating. They did win a SB though. But he's had terrible O-Lines his whole career and has been just fine.

7. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

These stats don't prove causality. Is it that Manning makes his line look good or is his line actually good? I would argue that Manning makes his line look great even in running situations due to the adjustments he makes at the line and his passing acumen.

8. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

We've lost 7 games by 7 or less points, we are with in 1 possession a game of being a 9-3 team. We are this close in games with Schaub stinking it up and throwing pick 6s every game early this year and with Keenum not being able to orchestrate a TD in the second half of any game he has played (slight exaggeration, he may have 1). We don't need to waste our early round first pick on a freakin offensive line men unless this team is 100% sold on Case (have no idea why they would be). This team needs a leader and someone that can come in here make just a few more plays a game and make a few less mistakes.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you draft BPA. I think a coaching overall will do wonders but with all these close games I wouldn't be shocked if Kubaik and co are kept around one more season (shoot me if this happens).

9. BMoney

BMoney Member

If you are drafting in the top 5, you have to get an impact player. You can't draft a right tackle with the #1 pick. That's too much cap space tied up into the o-line between Brown and the new player. Obviously, you can't draft an inside linebacker, or safety that high, either. If they don't think any QB in the draft is a franchise player, maybe you draft Clowney, or hope for a Godfather offer for the first pick.

10. newAge_Rockets

Case and co. put up 31 points Sunday. 31 points should win you a ball game, but that will never happen when you keep on letting Qbs have all day n the pocket.

What happened to Antonio Smith, the only noise he makes is with his loud mouth.

11. BasketballReasons

49ers didn't need a #1 pick to build their "trenches", I'm sure we can do it as well without sacrificing the chance to get a top QB.

12. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Case and co also put up 6 on the jags the week before...

Either way this team needs a new defensive identity, I'll give you that.

Any chance anyone on Seattles defensive staff (ideally db coach) could come in and be our new coordinator?