1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The trade that wasnt...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HorryForThree, Dec 14, 2010.

?

Knowing what you know now, would you have traded Battier+Scola for Amare Stoudemire

1. Yes

115 vote(s)
    48.7%
  2. No

121 vote(s)
    51.3%
  1. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I've noted that on the forums its not uncommon to find fans lamenting the Battier-Gay trade from years back. Though the merits of the trade are subject to debate, I wanted to ask everyone their thoughts on another trade that didnt go through....

Last February, many of you may remember the Stoudemire-Scola deal that was approved. Houston was prepared to send Scola, Battier, and picks for Stoudemire, and Phoenix had approved the deal. It was an 11th hour deal on the night of the trade deadline, and due to the restricted time in which the trade had to get approved, Phoenix refused to agree to getting Stoudemire a physical prior to the deadline. Houston balked at the condition, and under the circumstances it was reasonable to walk away since Stoudemire had a fairly recent bout with injuries that had kept him out for some time.

Since, he's gone on an absolute tear. Though he was always good, toward the end of the last season he was unstoppable on offense. This season, the Knicks started the season 3-8 and are currently 16-9 (largely as a result of a favorable schedule facing a series of bad teams, but also improved play). They have a number of solid pieces on their team including Landry Fields who's proving himself as a legit rookie of the year candidate.

This has also been Scola's best season statistically. Offensively, his per game scoring average is over 20 for the first time in his career.

So the question is: If you had the chance to go back and accept the trade, would you do so?

2. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Amare would probably of left for NYC anyways...

3. seeingred

seeingred Member

yeah i don't see him re-signing here after last season. so, no.

4. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

My yes is contingent on him signing an extension with us. I hate polls they never have the option I want.

5. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I dont know. You may be right, but dont you think that was an issue that was discussed prior to the trade? If the reports are true, the reason that the Rockets didnt take the trade wasnt the possibility of him leaving after the season. It was the physical.

If we signed Amare to a long term deal last season, I think the dynamic of this team and expectations coming into the season would have been dramatically higher. Yao returning from injury playing beside a superstar big man, Jordan Hill coming of age and Stoudemire mentoring him offensively. I think there's a lot that could have happened with this.

Overall, I think it was smart of Morey and Co. not to take the deal at the time, but knowing what I know right now, on balance, I would have taken the deal sans physical and hoped that once Yao's contract was up we could try and land a superstar gaurd to complement Amare. Our Knicks pick would have been higher as well and we would have definitely swapped.

6. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

You're living in the past, man. You're hung up on some clown from the 60's, man!!

3 people like this.
  7. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Really? I don't see Amare as a "superstar".

8. Htown's2kFinest

You don't see him as a superstar? Then who is? The guy is playing at an MVP level and is in the talk for MVP...

9. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

He wouldn't be guaranteed to stay here so no I don't regret not making this trade.

We would have lost Luis for Amare for half a season.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

I loved that episode of Seinfeld, George pushes people over getting out of a birthday party with a fire in the kitchen.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hell yeah I'd do the trade.

Amar'e is beasting right now.

and even if he wouldn't have stayed we could have sign and traded him for more draft picks of Knicks players.

We are rebuilding anyways.

12. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

amare is a man of a mission right now, so much for all the people here who said he needed steve nash.

this team would be great with amare, as much as love scola, he has his limits. amare can pretty much do it all for a big man. he isnt the greatest defender out there, but he is the scoring big man in the league.

13. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

There are multiple people who've made that claim but I just dont see it. You dont think he would have re-signed if we offered him a large contract? NY was offering the most money, and thats why he signed.

Like I said, all reports indicate that the reason the trade didnt happen was the physical and not anything else.

Another factor that hasnt really been discussed is that Morey and Co. genuinely felt they were in the running for Chris Bosh. It was only after 'the decision' that we all came to realize that the Rockets really had no chance at landing Bosh. I wonder, had they known that Bosh already has his heart set on teaming up with LBJ and D-Wade, whether they would have been willing to roll the dice and take a chance on Stoudemire without the physical.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

D'antoni knows Amar'e...would RA know how to get this much out of him as well? Could he next to Yao?

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

To many variables involved, the physical and the contract situation were a big deal. If Morey thought Amar'e was either going to get injured or leave in the summer then you can not pull the trigger.

16. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

Another hypothetical/what-if, but assume Amare gets traded and signs and extension here, guess where Melo and CP3 might want to go to form the next "Big Three" instead of NY? I reckon having Amare would increase our chances ten-fold of landing other big name superstars as well.

17. thething

thething Contributing Member

Amare would have resigned with Phoenix but they were unwilling to pay up. I get the feeling he would have resigned with Houston but you never know.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

According to reports,Amare didn't want to sign with Houston. If that is correct, than it's a moot point to talk about a trade for him.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The Rockets are 8th in offense even without any elite players. If Stoudemire doesn't improve the defense then why would I want him on the team?

20. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

YES!!!!!!! I WANTED AMARE WAY MORE THAN I WANT MELO OR IGGY NOW!
    sorry for the caps but im a big fan of amare