1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The trade that DM needs to make....Jeff Foster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Jan 10, 2009.

1. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

Seeing him play against the LAkers tonight and how he always burns us, he would imo put this team as a legit contender. All those wasted possessions because Yao is too slow to react to the ball or Chuck is too short, we could get all those offensive rebounds. Dude is also a pretty good post defender and is pretty athletic. I would give up Luther+1st rd 2010 pick+Brent Barry, really an possible combo to get Foster.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Every 2 weeks someone here slurps Foster. Typical I like that guy thread. "That guy" always happens to be white. Right. Foster makes us a contender. Right. Give me Hayes over Foster any day of the week.

3. Gakatron

Gakatron Member

He's becoming one of those guys who plays their whole careers for one club... it would probably be hard for us to get him... however he would be a handy backup that is for sure. I would not do that trade however....I doubt the Rockets would wanna trade off anymore first round picks. His contract of $5,500,000 makes it hard to get the better end of a player for player swap.

4. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

better get rid of Rafer first..I want a legit PG that can shoot who can replace him...

5. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Why is everyone so quick to get rid of Hayes? Didn't anyone watch the Celtics game where Hayes made Garnett his b!tch on more than one occasion and he costs less then 2 mil. Hayes is a bargain.

6. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Hayes is a bargain. Foster would thrive here and giving up Head i'm all for it.

Head is easier to replace.

Big guys are harder to find etc.

This is why Pacers say no.

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

are you serious?

Last second shot down 2... with three seconds on the clock he had no idea what to do when he got the ball off the inbounds pass.

It wasn't completely his fault they never should have thrown it to him, but you have to be aware of how much time is left and what your options are if you are on the court.

Yes he played a good game, but I will take the smarter player every time.

8. RocketFan34

RocketFan34 Member

I like Foster but he is getting older. Foster has the edge on rebounding, but Hayes is a superior defender. They are similar players, but we are better off with Hayes.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well if we traded for him lets hope he doesn't do what he did at the end of the game last night.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Member

I am a huge Jeff Foster fan and would love to have him here in Houston. The guy is a really good post defender and rebounder. For the right trade I would take him in a heart beat.

Having said that he a career sub for a reason, plus the guy is in his 30's. Would I trade luther for him? Hell yes. Chuck? Yes again. Luther and Chuck together? Yes...Yes....and Yes.

Would I give up Barry when outside shooting and good passing is such a critical part of our offense? No way.

Would I give up a first round pick? Absolutely not.

Luther and a second rounder or Chuck and a second rounder or Luther and Chuck is about it. I would not give up Scola or Landry for sure.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Part of that is coaching, I think... it doesn't look like the team had a back-up plan in case Dunleavy is guarded, or else they forgot to remind Foster what to do in that case. You gotta anticipate that the Lakers would try to prevent a return pass to the inbounder. Anyhow, bad move on the part of everyone involved (except the Lakers, of course).

I like Foster. He's got the size on the Rockets PFs. Can play next to Yao and is more of a natural to fill in some backup C minutes. He would give the Rockets some needed size in the paint when Yao and an option to guard some of the taller but quick players. He fills a gap between non-shot-blockers Scola/Landry/Hayes and huge-but-slow centers Yao/Dikembe.

I don't think, however, trading Hayes for him is a big enough upgrade to justify paying more than twice Hayes' salary. Foster is also significantly older than Chuck. I think his contract also extends to 2011, which eats into those precious 2010 cap space.

Another thing... Indiana is probably not trading him. By all reports, he's a good lockerroom guy and a fan favorite. After the turmoil SJax/Artest/Tinsley years, the Pacers have been obsessed with stacking their team with boyscout-types like Granger, Dunleavy, Murphy, etc. I think HIbbert was even a "good character".

12. pmac

pmac Member

Why do people bring up race in regards to the NBA? I think the only ones who ever even care to think about that kind of crap are fans because players tend to respect other players for what they do on the court.

Anyway, IMO Chuck Hayes is one of the most underrated players in the NBA. Foster is only slightly better offensively because of height and not so much so that it warrants paying him more than twice as much. He would be nice to have as that backup C but we already have Deke if needed. If we intend to get a 4/5 it should be a long athletic one who can D up both positions but can also finish at the rim consistently.

If you need better D Rick should just play Chuck more. It's hard to find a post defender that good that can switch off on wing players and not skip a beat. We should only think about a trade when you want a guy to guard the quicker tall 4/5's AND score on them. Foster ain't that guy.

13. giddyup

giddyup Member

I know it's only one shot, but did you all see Foster's air-ball attempt to win the game last night?

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

and I think it was late, too.

In any case, I don't think Foster is easily attainable. If you want a similar dirty-work guy who is more likely to be available, I think Joe the Smith and Nick the Collision from the Thunder are more available. Smith will even hit a jumper once a while.

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Member

Agree, I don't see the Pacers moving him either, unless they can fleece somebody for potential youth. I played alot of pick up ball with Foster in the past and he never really impressed me, but he has an incredible nose for the ball once it comes off the boards. He's a rebounding machine.

#15 jump shooter, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  16. fattedcalf

fattedcalf Member

i'm pretty sure the Pacers wouldn't trade him anyways, so it doesn't really matter

17. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Pathetic last shot attempt last night, he couldn't even hit the rim with that prayer.

18. jlaw718

jlaw718 Member

Nice. Good job artificially injecting race in an otherwise innocuous discussion. What's funny is in an attempt to percieve ourselves as racial "hall monitors" - always trying to be the first to imply that prejudice MUST be afoot -- we've inadvertantly swung the pendulum so far the other way that we've undercut what should be our ultimate social goal. Nonchalantly alluding to a more sinister undercurrent is irresponsible and intellectually lazy. I like the point about Hayes, but next time make it without the racial components.

19. pongd

pongd Member

no it didnt look like they had a backup plan but you cant really have one either when youve only got 2 seconds. as a player you need to be aware of the clock. plus he knew he was gonna get the ball to make the pass so if he didnt have a passing lane with 2 seconds left you know what you need to do...ridiculous to just stand there stuck in cement and act like youve got all day to look for a shot. not even getting a shot up to give ur team a chance is unacceptable

20. Ashes

Ashes Member

Lol, ew.