1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Tim Redding Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, Apr 21, 2004.

?

How long does Redding have??

1. Leave him in the rotation indefinitely

11 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. One more start

31 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. No choice, until Hernandez or Buckholz is ready

49 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. KoKo!!!

18 vote(s)
    16.5%
  1. codell

codell Contributing Member

Man, I feel sorry for Redding. Bloop singles, bad fielding and then compounded by bad location for home runs.

So how long does he have to straighten out the ship???

Hernandez is still building arm strength and Buckholz looks like he needs more time in the minors. So that looks good for Tim staying in the rotation a lil while longer.

Will Jimi let KoKo stay in the rotation when Pettite comes back and will Redding go to long relief???

Maybe Redding would excel at short inning relief (a la Lidge of last year).

2. codell

Tim's stats so far this season:

0-3 (soon to be)

10.22 ERA

12 1/2 Innings pitched
    21 hits
    14 ERs
    5 HRs
    5 BB
    10 Ks

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Wow, he is busting.

He needs to get his act together...One more start.

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Hanging around Clemens doesn't seem to be helping at all:(

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

He sure is sucking tonight....

Still a shutout, top of the 5th coming up.

8-0

6. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Right here ^ But it's clear the guy is not ready. Sooner or later minors for him.
    But I just want Petite back. But not too soon. I want Petite back fully healed. Don't rush it.

7. codell

According to the news yesterday, Pettite won't be starting in Colorado.

He will make a minor league rehab start and hopefully be back next week.

Go KoKo!!

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

This is the 2nd time I've seen somebody call him him BUCKholz. Is this an inside joke or something? Buchholz DAMMIT!

;)

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I heard he will be back for his next start in the rotation (not the colorado series). They were going to have him pitch but the forcast shows cold weather, and even chance of snow. So Pettite won't play against the Rockies. BUT he will be back for his next start following the Rockies series.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

FYI... Bucholz pitched 6 innings with 8K's and only 1 walk last outing.

That's some good stuff that's gonna be waiting to be called up by mid-season.

And for those who are worried about his era, don't be. In the minors, where its not all about winning every game, strikeouts, and control numbers are FAR more important... that's why not much has been made about Carlos basically allowing NOTHING his first two starts. He hasn't got much life on that fastball, and without it... he'll be toast in the majors.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Does Redding have any other pitch than the fastball. I watched two innings before I got sick of watching, and turned it off, but every pitch he threw was flat and had little to no movement. I didn't see one breaking pitch at all, and I think I counted two changeups.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He can breakout a curve... but its not a big looper, thus, if its in the strike zone hitters can kill it.

But, his fastball is a lot better than his other pitches, and he just simply doesn't trust his off-speen pitches enough to throw them.

And... as they say... if you're going to get beat, get beat with your best pitch.

13. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

You've gotta leave him in there until Carlos Hernandez is ready. Where is Ron Villone when you need him

14. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

Tim Redding is a victim of bad luck......like codell said....bad fielding, bloop singles, and absolutely no run support....plus it doesnt help that redding, (our # 5 starter) has only faced #1 starters in sheets and matt morris so far this season......

Watchin Redding, when he goes up against a non # 1 pitcher, he pitches alot better.....he puts this pressure on himself that he cant make mistakes b/c he's facin a pitcher like Sheets who the Astros struggle to score against......when he just goes out there and pitches without pressure hez lights out. He just has to learn to adjust to the pressure of the big time, he cant crack no matter who hez pitchin against......if u dont believe me, watch him when he doesnt face a teams #1......ull see wut i mean......

redding will be fine....leave him in there....he's young and has already showed us wut he can do....jus wait and see.

15. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I don't get this. How does "run support" help you when you give up, double, homer, double, homer? Hell! We could have had 8 runs, and still lost if he keep hanging so many good pitches to hit.

Our bats did their job today given the soild pitching that the SL's staff gave us. But Redding lost it for us. I mean, ok for 4 or 5 runs. But 12? Geesh!

By the way, if Redding is scared of the opposing so-called "#1" pitcher, how do you think he'll do against some of the #1 hitters?

It's about pitching to the batters. Not trying to match the opposing pitcher. Trying to match the opposing pitcher is the worst mental strategy you can do! It makes the pitcher lose focus on the batters he's facing.

#15 DavidS, Apr 21, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2004
  16. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Poor poll - weak options.

Timothy is a certified black hole. I was not fooled but his 3.56ish era last season. I never felt comfortable watching him - run support or not. He should be sent down to the Zephers so that he can rediscorver himself and leanr "how to pitch" not throw fastballs ro fling his arm forward. He is just not good enough period and I am convinced that Hernandez will replace him and fit it properly and admirably. We should not waste any time on this move.

Carlos can give us 5 solid innings right now in the majors and then more down the road. He has overcome his injury woes and he is WINNER. He is smarter that Timothy and braver. He pitches and his is a southpaw - a luxury indeed. I strongly disdain dumb athletes (baseball, basketball or football). I will be highly dissapointed if we give this blak hole one more start - it will really hurt.

Worst case scenario is Koko. Heck bring back Villone if he is available. Anything but the black hole.......please.

17. codell

Yet, your suggestion IS one of the options in the poll.

Poor response, weak post.

18. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Dispite is bad W-L record wasnt he pretty solid for you guys last year? I know he has gotten roughed up so far but it seems like it too early to yank him from the rotation after only 3 starts.

19. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

They said on the radio (740 am) that he threw 34 pitches before he threw his curve or anything else. I thint they said 34 fast balls.

20. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

an di thot jeromey sucked