1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

The Tim Grover Effect

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blacktopKING, Sep 27, 2009.

1. verse

verse Contributing Member

Stephon Marbury called. He wants his credit, too.

#41 verse, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. amaru

amaru Member

Francis is done and has been done for quite some time.

Not only is he injured, but he has a very "old body".

Its time for him to just go to the house.

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

WHY ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT STEVE FRANCIS?

4. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

^Seriously. The people on this forum are always talking about bringing back some old, washed up star

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Can we bring back Hakeem instead of Francis? If we are signing former Rocket's stars, let's get one with the heart of a champion.

6. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

I say we track down Michael Dickerson, wherever the hell he is. Dude's a 15 ppg scorer for his career, and a 40% shooter from three. Don't tell me he couldn't start on this team at SG.

7. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

Yea thats a little rough :confused:. I still have his autograph from when my brother was locked up w/ him in Harris County several years back. He had his demons but didn't deserve to go down the way he did. I hope he's found the inner peace in heaven he couldn't find while he was here on earth. RIP Eddie.

8. HPD

HPD Member

what was Carl Landry doing b4 he got shot ....... late at night.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Don't know, but he said getting some "Whataburger" I think.

DD

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...doesn't really matter - Tim Grover helps guys get in the best shape possible but he doesn't get in their mind. Steve's problem was always in his mind - poor decision making and narrow floor vision. Steve could get in really good shape as a 32yr old with Grover, but he will probably still be making the same mistakes that held him back in his prime AND he will undoubtedly be lacking the explosiveness at 32 that he had in his early 20s when he was an all-star which was really one of the key parts of his effectiveness(that and his strength). I still think Francis could be a veteran bench player in the league with a lot of work but I don't think he will be a game changer for ANY team at this point even with Grover.

....and as other have said - I wouldn't cite Tmac and Arenas as examples of Grover's work. Neither of those guys have been healthy in a basketball game in a looooonnnggg time.

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

That's funny,

signed
    [​IMG]

12. BigVic785

BigVic785 Member

This is even funnier signed

[​IMG]

13. 523744

523744 Member

14. 523744

523744 Member

Its sad to say cause i remember watching that game in the pre season and thinking "man maybe francis is back and we have the trio of yao-tmac-francis we always dreamed about" Then he was relagated to the bench for most of the first month of the season, then he had that good game against the suns when he hit the game winner, and john thompson had an interview with him and i thought "man hes really back!!" now hes gone forever

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Steve and Marbury are often pooled into the same category by uneducated basketball fans.

Steve was a far superior talent, a far superior teammate, and would die on the floor to win a basketball game...

16. young truth

young truth Member

Tim Grover is not Jesus, he can not perform miracles

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

pretty sure it was subway

18. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

We all know that Steve was out of shape that 2nd go around, but what I hated about that situation was that Rafer and Mike James sucked the first few games but Adelman gave them a longer leash than he did Francis.<p>Francis only got a chance to play when Rafer got hurt. He played well against Phoenix, then had a couple of decent games(nothing less than what Rafer & James was doing) and a couple of bad games. Soon as Rafer got back Steve was put back on the bench. I feel that wasn't fair. Anybody that knows basketball, knows the more you play the better your timing and play gets. If Adelman let Rafer play while he sucked 14 out of 20 games, that he could atleast gave Steve a good 15-20 games. He wouldn't have done any worse than anyone else playing PG.<p>The Franchise was done but I think Steve Francis could have been a good basketball player if given a legit chance.

19. verse

verse Contributing Member

Really?

Show me how Steve was a far superior talent, since you are purporting to be an "educated basketball fan". He had some of the worst court vision for a point guard that I have ever seen. Also, explain how refusing to help out your younger teammates makes for a "superior teammate". Please, enlighten me. Illuminate the thread with proof of how Steve not being able to spearhead a fastbreak properly is "doing anything to win a game."

Marbury was extricated from the Knicks team and out of the league (only to be picked up by the defending nba champions!) for a short time. However, he was never reduced to "contract level"...not a player, but solely a contract that could facilitate transactions. Nor was he (prior to the Knick debacle) paid to go away. Steve? Portland, Houston, Memphis and New York were ALL more than happy to have them away...far away...from their respective teams. Heard any rumors of Steve re-joining the Rox in any capacity? No? That's strange considering his alleged talents and standing as a superior teammate.

Its easy to put Francis and Marbury in the same dumpster because both are petulant punks. Both would've benefitted from more college seasoning and maturation. Both have no clue how to properly run an offense. Both are wonderful isolation players. Both had very limited success in multiple situations. Both are ball dominant lead guards without enough game to elevate their teammates' games. Oh yea, and one is currently standing in the NBA unemployment line, and not because of his age. Guess which one, o wise one....

Please, elucidate.

#59 verse, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  20. Francis 4 ever

they both are, idiot.