1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The thing I like most about having Artest on the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 4, 2008.

1. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

AGREE, AGREE. He always plays hard.

And during the first 2 games, Artest started agressive by getting steals... that's something. He sets the pace of our defense right away.

2. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

Some people got a motor.

T-Mac doesn't, Ron is supercharged.

3. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Maybe I've missed something but when has Artest come to the defense of any of our players this season? All I've seen is him running up to seperate. Sounds like a bunch of revisionist history that helps spread the myth that McGrady and Yao are soft.

4. daniel19

daniel19 Contributing Member

Add Scola to the list of hard-nosed players.

5. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

For the record, T-Mac is also badass. He just needs someone re-ignite the flame.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FjnQVEbrOvE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FjnQVEbrOvE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

6. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

The thing i like most is that he intimidates the other team and with a guy like him in the playoffs, you don't have to be afraid of any1. You can compare him to Thorpe or Maxwell if you will, but like some1 said: Hakeem didn't take **** from any1, he never needed any1 to back him up. Yao and T-mac do need a guy like Artest to have their back. I am a little worried about his shot selection though and how hard he makes it on himself to make a basket. He can easily go around a guy along the baseline but most of the time goes along the other side and shoots a fadeaway. He needs to learn how to dunk too, he can't do it :) Good thing is, like Reggie Miller pointed out: Even when he can make an easy lay-up, he rather draws the contact to get the other team in foul trouble. Plus, he can make FTs !! :D

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly,

The Rockets have always been known as tough team with moses, dream, otis, charles, etc

then it suddenly turned into a finesse team with steve, then with tmac/yao it turned into paul mitchell organic finesse conditioner

at least with Ron Artest, we're at least back to V05

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

well i think ron will get into tmacs face about not giving it his all unlike the other guys on the team which is important.

i cant remember what game it was, i think it was the first game but tmac was just jogging it up the court not even close to half court when the rest of the team was down there setting up the offense and ron looked pissed and motion to tmac to hurry his butt up the court.

tmac is a great playing but its even better to see him not being coddled anymore by the team. (he has a fragile mind yeah but i dont think coddling him like JVG did at times helped him long term)

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Ron Ron's shot selection cannot be any worse than T-Mac's shot selection.

10. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I think you and DD are being blinded by three games. I love Artest, but to say he has this no excuses needed, ill beat your ass mentality is forgetting some of the past.

There have been numerous times he has looked like a me first ball hog on his previous teams. He has missed games due to seemingly minor injuries.

He has been great this year, but you can compliment him without taking a cheap shot at Tmac, because Artest has been far from perfect during his career and that even excludes the whole fight with the Pistons.

11. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Wow, T-mac & Cassell going at it!! Cassell's a bad ass, guess Maxwell thought him well ;)

I like the emotion from Tracy but I like the more mature Tracy better. Same with Yao, they are both guys who don't need this kind of stuff. They do have to step up for themselves and not let other guys punk them, but Tracy doesn't need this anymore. It's better to be smarter and let Artest handle the rest ;)

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The thing i like about Artest is we may get to see him pull down Paul Pierce's shorts tonight.

13. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I have to agree with this. Ron's plays his ass off and brings a physical intensity that this team has never had. But some of this revisionism is getting out of hand, and sadly it's intent is just to contrast against McGrady.

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

BTW: Juwan Howard used to be in the middle of every scuffle. In fact, he was downright dirty at times. And I've seen T-Mac come to Yao's aid numerous times. Same with Rafer.

You guys are so desperate for a savior that you are trying to create this image of Artest into whatever you think you are seeing. He's added an intensity and physicality that we've never had - but to say the rest of the guys were p*****s that backed down all the time is revisionism at its best.

15. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

The topic is his motor, not how well he plays with others or if he was a ballhog on a terrible Kings team.

I'm not too sure about the minor injuries thing, all I know of is the thumb injury. Surgery sounds like an OK reason to miss some games for a terrible Kings team.

Lastly, I take cheap shots at McGrady only when warranted. His motor is definitely a reason to take a cheap shot at him. Anyone making $20MM per year gets cheap shots if they feign effort.

PS--even when Artest was fighting with the Pistons and their fans, he was busting his tail while doing it. ;)

16. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

I agree. They're making it look like those guys used to cry and suck on a pacifier after a hard foul.

17. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

For real. Tracy has been in a few scuffles since becoming a Rocket. Heck, he almost threw a punch at Eddie House in the preseason. The only time TMac hasn't bucked up to someone was when Shaq threw him down, hahah!

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is this a disguised T-Mac bashing thread?

I like Artest's intensity. He brings a lot to the team. And I am warming up to the idea that he has truly been reformed from his former insanity. But you guys are worshiping him like the second coming.

And yes, it's a myth that Yao and TMac are soft.

19. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

if we go deep in the playoffs this year and Ron wants a big contract, TMac will be the odd man out and will be traded for a couple of good players.

20. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

i love ron bc your gonna see tonight hes gonna get right under pierces skin and pierce is gonna have a long long night, i say pierce still gets 20 but its gonna be on like 7-22 shooting bc hes gonna try to get ron all night and its gonna benefit us big time