1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans will win the AFC South

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by thegary, May 1, 2023.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This part:
    I've fully acknowledged it's exciting. But.... they're not going to win appreciably more games this year and *that's* when the full impact of this trade is likely to hit you.

It's not as desperate/bad - but it's very similar to the Tunsil deal: a miscalculation at almost every turn that has, frankly, really hurt this team. The quickest, easiest way out of the hole they're in is to throw as many top-line prospects at the roster. They continue to slice away at their ability to do that.

I hope Stroud and Anderson are great. I am looking forward to this Texans season more than any in the past 2-3 years, at least. But I'm still disappointed Nick Caserio - who is actively bad at his job - was once again fleeced.

2. Hey Now!

I'm making a different argument. Whether Anderson busts or not, it's a steep price to pay. Because even if he's great... he is not, alone, going to move the franchise's needle enough. They need players up & down their roster, and they've limited their ability to get them.

No; I'm wishing Caserio hadn't nuked his margin - more picks makes it easier to find good players, and that's especially helping for the guy who took Stingley-over-Sauce and drafted Kenyon Green in the first round. Like... he needs the safety net, I think.

Canadiandude likes this.
  3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Caserio could've traded 2 for Mahomes and 12 for Nick Bosa and posters would complain we wouldn't have the salary.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

So you put “*second*” in asterisks for stroud and Will Anderson being top 5. But when talking about what we gave up you can say “2 likely top 10”.. so you are saying our #12 pick this year would be a top 10, whatever our first next year will be top 10, and our #33 pick this year would be top 30”

but it’s us who are overvaluing… right. Got it.

and even if that is true, (2) top 5’s at QB and DE is DEFINTELY worth, 2 fringe 10’s and a top 30.

5. showa13

showa13 Member

@Hey Now! are you saying the trade is bad cause you are saying we are going to have a top 5 pick, or just bad in general cause of the quantity of picks given?

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If Stroud is the real deal then the draft will be a success. We could have Anderson without the trade, but we couldn’t have had both. Whether the trade was worth it is more about how well Stroud does than anything else. I really wanted the Texans to trade down and pick up Jalen Carter and another first round pick, but if Stroud and Anderson work out it will be an outstanding draft regardless of the draft picks we gave up. I’m pretty sure at least a couple of the other picks will end up being solid. If you get your franchise QB and a pro bowl DE it’s a successful draft regardless of all the holes you still have, and we have the most cap space in the league next year and a full draft.

tamericus likes this.
  8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I guess we’ll see..

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Neither Stroud nor Anderson are thought to be a Bosa level prospect.

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Not what I said at all. Some just will complain no matter what.

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes! I'm so excited about this year. New coach, new QB, and great additions all around to make us better.

houstonstime and red5rocket like this.
  12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Hush that negativity. I'll sick DeMeco on you.

#72 deb4rockets, May 3, 2023
    Last edited: May 3, 2023
    houstonstime likes this.
  13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Demarco Murray?

J.R. likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

Concern over the team giving up three valuable assets for one - when the team is almost entirely devoid of *any* valuable assets - is a fairly sensible take.

You can disagree with it, of course. But it’s not in any way, shape or form like complaining about a ridiculously lopsided fantasy trade that overwhelmingly favors the Texans….

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

But Easterby got Cal to hire Caserio.

houstonstime likes this.
  16. Hey Now!

Having only two very good players - when you had enough draft assets to acquire… 4? is not ideal; less so if Stingley & Green turn out to be busts.

The Texans margin for error is razor-thin.

17. Hey Now!

I was emphasizing second. They got two. Which is great! I’m just not comfortable with the cost.

If no trade, and Stroud is the pick at 1.2, then they get to draft a top 9 non-QB at 12 (3 QBs went top 4) & a top 29 non-QB at 33 (a 4th QB went 32). Next year is almost certainly going to be another top-10 non-QB. So, no - I’m stating factual value based on the board.

I hope the best for Anderson - I just don’t think he’ll be worth *that* much.

18. Hey Now!

I think they gave up too much. As detailed in another response, Anderson cost them a top 9 non-QB prospect (which Anderson nullifies) + (likely) top 10 non-QB prospect (‘24) + top 29 non-QB prospect.

Again, Anderson is exciting and I can’t wait to watch him. But, man…

19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Haha. Meant DeMeco.

Fulgore likes this.
  20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

We haven't had a great team not giving up trades, so I'm fine with trading to get 2 of the best players available, and pick up a couple more next year with all our salary cap money. Besides, I have never been as disgusted in a draft as when the Chiefs jumped ahead of us and took Mahomes. That mistake made this year's move a bit sweeter for me. I'm happy with it.