1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans interested in Dunn?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by thech0senone, Mar 2, 2008.

1. thech0senone

thech0senone Contributing Member

The Atlanta Falcons added one running back Sunday, but will lose another in the near future.

Veteran Warrick Dunn requested his release Sunday after the Falcons signed free-agent running back Michael Turner to a six-year, $34.5 million deal that reportedly includes $15 million in guarantees.

Dunn, an 11-year veteran who led the Falcons in rushing each of the past four seasons, believes he can still be an effective performer and wants an opportunity to contribute on a winning club. A league source said several teams would have interest in Dunn, notably Houston, Dallas and Denver.

Texans assistant Alex Gibbs was the offensive line coach (or consultant) in Atlanta during three of Dunn's six seasons with the Falcons. Dunn ran for at least 1,100 yards in each of those seasons, including 1,416 in 2005.

Gibbs was out of football last season, but in January he joined Houston as its assistant head coach/offense. He's expected to install the same zone-blocking scheme he utilized in Atlanta and Denver, where he spent 13 years as an offensive line coach or assistant head coach.

Dunn would like to play for a contender, which would make the Cowboys attractive. But Houston likely would be the front-runner for his services because of his success under Gibbs and the belief that the Texans are a team on the rise.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/03/02/dunn.release/index.html?eref=T1

2. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Another old RB who would most likely cost a ton of money. No thanks. And yes, I know he's still able to put up the yards on occasion. I'd still pass.

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I'm sure someone will take a chance on Dunn, hoping he has at least one more productive season left, but I hope it isn't us. We did that last year with Green.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

No thanks. The draft is deep with RB's. No need to overpay for a RB with wear and tear. Ahman Green much?

5. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

AG was a stupid signing because everyone KNEW he was going to get injured. Dunn, while he has missed some time, is pretty good at staying on the field. Depending on the price tag, I wouldnt mind giving him a go.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

With young RBs like Peterson, Jones-Drew, Maroney, Addai, Lynch, etc giving such good production so early on...I wonder why the the Texans seem relunctant to invest in a young RB.

7. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Well, thats because "In this system, we can make anyone a 1000 yard rusher..."

Yeah, its worked real well thus far...

I actually wouldnt mind bringing in Warrick Dunn. The guy doesnt miss games due to injury. Look it up. That alone is something I would like for Houston to have in its backfield.

Im good either way. As long as he is brought in at a reasonable cost.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Dunn is a team guy and probably the best off-the-field ambassador in the NFL.

If the price is right, go for it.

He and Dayne would be a hilariously effective combo.

9. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I could see that. Kind of like Dunn & Duckett were.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Dunn is good 'in space' too
    Good Receiver I believe

Rocket River

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If it's small money, I'm fine with it. We have enough needs that I'd welcome signings that take the pressure off our few picks. As it is, I'd be happy with trading down for a second and an additional 4th.

Evan

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dunn has too many miles on him and though he may be a good receiver out of the backfield,I wish the Texans would stop the half measures at RB and go get a legitimate starter with size and speed...it's time.Let's not use a first rounder,but via free agency,trade,or the draft this needs to be addressed as we are headed to the playoffs next year.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

NO MORE BROKEN DOWN OLD GUYS !!!

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Haven't they been trying to "install" this Zone blocking scheme for years...I'm not sure we need an aging RB, but for cheap, maybe yes...We need a RB with our one of our early round picks...

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

But how is Warrick Dunn broken down? Green had a serious knee injury in 2005. Dunn is 16-for-16 in each of the past four seasons.

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

He may have suited up every game last year, but he looked like crap doing so. 3.2 ypa. Not saying he's done, but I'd like to see someone that has a chance at being the lead back, not just a band-aid.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Dunn been underestimated his whole career

Rocket River

18. The Cat

I don't think LT could do much better with that offensive line and that abomination of a situation at quarterback. I don't think Dunn should necessarily be a lead back either, but in a system, I think he still has a lot of value.

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Norwood did a ton better than Dunn did behind the same line and he is an underrated guy right now.

I think Dunn would be a good COP back, and a mediocre or worse lead back. Fwiw, if Jonathan Stewart happened to fall to the texans pick, I think he would make the Texans offense look a ton better. Yeah, yeah, I know db and ol help ... but this is a workhorse guy that would be hard to pass on.

It's too bad Williams got busted up. I thought he was going to be the feature back for a long time.

20. The Cat

Norwood averaged under seven carries per game -- a ridiculously small sample -- so I think we have to be careful with that comparison.

That said, I agree, Dunn is the ideal COP back where you can emphasize both his pass blocking as well as his hands out of the backfield. Certainly not an excuse not to go after a back in the draft, should a quality one that fits their system be available.