1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans HAVE to draft Bryce Young

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2022.

1. SuraGotMadHops

"The cops, are saying he was a cop, so that I won't look for the cop" - Jack Nicholson in The Departed. Carolina is likely taking Stroud at 1, but they have to put out all kinds of smokescreens like they want Young to see if they can squeeze more draft capital and still get their guy. Every team holding a strong draft position does this, every year.

Porkasaurus85 and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

With Lance he's not always right on draft evals.
    Former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah's wrong a lot too.
    Even Mel Kiper misses every now and then!
    That last one's a joke!
    Mel Kiper's nothing more than a glorified information gatherer imo, just couldn't resist!

But with Lance the main thing is that he has many longtime connections within the NFL circle.
    So although I don't always trust his draft OPINIONS the Stroud low score thing is INFORMATION which I would think has a high degree of probability of being true!

I hope not because I want BY to drop to us but if Lance said it it's probably true.

primtim24, houston19519 and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Yeah I'm hoping this is what it really is.
    They're (CAR) just going to keep wiggling that lure up until the draft gets here in the hopes that we'll take a big bite!
    I wouldn't but I guess I could nibble just a bit.

I'll give them our second 3rd rounder this year for their 6th rd. this year.
    That's it!

If that's not enough then "NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!".

5. houston19519

houston19519 Member

I just don’t see it that way.. and I don’t think other teams see it that way as well. With Cj being considered as the 1st pick by Carolina, I don’t know how it being the worst case scenario taking him at 2 o_O
    I still have a hard time believing it but I see your point. Either way it’s smoke screen season.. until I hear Ian report Carolina is leaning be it Cj or Bryce everything until then is all speculation… the draft can’t come fast enough. Every day a new narrative is being pushed.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He doesn't like Stroud.

houston19519 and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. houston19519

houston19519 Member

I know… I thought I might can sway him a bit.. Never know.. he maybe our qb for the next decade :eek::confused::D

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t want him at all.
    But if we draft him I will support him and hope he succeeds.
    I highly doubt he’s going to be successful though

ROCKSS, red5rocket and houston19519 like this.
  9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

What’s funny is we’re gonna find out that actually Stroud was the smoke screen. They knew the Texans wanted stroud, so they are trying to squeeze us. They want to get young at 2.

this will become when the Texans, Texan. And they trade up to #1 for CJ Stroud. Lol.

10. Buck Turgidson

Do you not possess the ability to go quiet and just "shut the **** up"? We've heard it all, the same **** over and over and over and over, 1,436 times over 87 weeks... Just let it go for a bit, buddy, please?

It's obnoxious.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Buck, stop drunk posting.
    If you don’t want to participate in conversation, then don’t. If you don’t like me repeating my dislike for Stroud, don’t read it.
    The fact that you are so bothered by it is comical, get over yourself. You’re starting to become the thought police.

12. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Overall I think this is getting to personal in general. On Twitter people going back and forth, on Twitter spaces people wanting a specific guy and damn near wanting to go to blows over it! With the Texans sitting at 2 with how often they’ve mentioned being comfortable at that spot.. I’m starting to as well. The fact that Carolina is still mauling over which qb to take this late in the game just reconfirms that there isn’t much difference from BY or CJ.. and I can bet that’s the Texans thought process.. hell Demeco said it himself :confused:

I know everyone has there preferences but we’re not in control of the draft.. that’s Carolina.. so honestly we can just chill and see who falls to 2 out of BY or CJ and let the chips fall where they may…

moonnumack and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. raining threes

Good to know that Stroud scored horribly on the test.

Young should've scored well on the test. He's a smart guy that's been taking the test since something like the 10th grade.

14. raining threes

Good to know that Stroud scored horribly on the test.

Young should've scored well on the test. He's a smart guy that's been taking the test since something like the 10th grade.
    We dont know how badly Stroud did on the test. LZ said he didn't do well and I believe LZ. You've been a Stroud guy I believe so I understand where you're coming from.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. Jayded

Jayded Member

We are in control of how we approach the draft though. I really wish the Texans would start putting out smoke that they only like one of the QBs. Don’t say which one, just start saying if he doesn’t fall to 1.2 that we’re looking elsewhere.

That’ll set the market into a loop. It might very well be true too. Our position should never be “we’ll take what’s left over” and instead needs to feel like we clearly have then 1A and 1B and not just because we need a QB. We need nearly everything and if we started acting like it, we might be able to fleece teams.

There’s a team in Boston with an OC that couldn’t trade himself out of a paper bag from recollection. If we could get Mac Jones for a low round pick, think about what this new posture could do to 1.2. King’s ransom + Mac and if it works, great. If it doesn’t, the ransom sets you up for next year.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not going to fight anyone over who they want lol.
    And there’s only one reason why Young isn’t consensus top QB, size. Stroud isn’t on the same level of Bryce in QB skills.

raining threes and Sooty like this.
  17. houston19519

houston19519 Member

I feel you there.. I just think they honestly see no difference in the top 2 qbs. This maybe is and indictment of how the qbs are viewed in this draft.. but just going through mock drafts half has Cj at the top where the other has Bryce. I don’t necessarily think it would be the wrong thought to have both qbs at the same tier. If I’m not mistaken didn’t Nick say that’s how he views players he draft.. in tiers?

I love Bryce.. but put it like this.. if Caleb Williams was in this draft it’s no doubt he would be the consensus 1st pick. With that not being the case in this draft.. I think most around the league view these qbs pretty similarly.. all advantages.. disadvantages.. but nothing that stands out being the consensus guy. I’m guessing that’s why Lance mocked us getting Levis.

raining threes likes this.
  18. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Agreed.. it basically made it a leveled field… hence why it’s so up in the air now.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Buck Turgidson

I'm not bothered by opinions, I'm bothered by the non-stop repetition of them.

And as I've stated once or twice, I don't particularly care who they draft, whoever it is will make the team imminently more interesting to watch, which is all I really care about.

cmoak1982 and Sooty like this.