1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans HAVE to draft Bryce Young

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm sorry. The only legitimate reason to DEMAND QB with the second pick is if you used this to attract FAs and/or coaches. Then you basically take the chance that you are drafting a mid level QB when you could have gotten a disrupter like Anderson, Carter or Murphey.

Yes, if you sold the FAs and Coaches on a High Draft Choice QB, then you have to follow through.

But I still have delusions of Anderson at 2, Carter at 12 and Wypler/Schultz at 33 with a couple of long shot QBs later including Hooker and McKee.

Even in my delusion I can't see Nolan Smith falling out of the 1st round and available at 33.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

FYI the Panthers main beat writer still has Stroud going 1

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I still get the feeling that the Texans are going to get Banchero’d. Young goes #1 and Texans fans will be asking what if for the next 10 years.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I don’t understand this analogy. I mean hindsight is 20/20, but I feel like the large majority had us selecting banchero because Jabari was widely regarded as the #1 pick. We were just hoping for banchero of Chet. I thought we got lucky Jabari fell instead, that’s who I wanted. I can admit that even tho it looks like banchero could be better.
    On the other hand, here, I think young is the better player, so the “banchero-d” would be him falling to us, but stroud ending up being the better player.

Deep Steel Truth likes this.
  5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

So you would draft Carter or Murphy with the 2nd overall pick?

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Ryans straight up saying they are drafting a QB at #2

https://www.espn.com/blog/houston-t...eus-to-help-put-a-young-qb-in-line-to-succeed

whag00 likes this.
  7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I wanted Banchero, was excited about Banchero but became cautiously optimistic about Smith.
    I want Young, am excited about Young…we will see about Stroud.

houstonstime likes this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Anderson 1-2 and Carter/Murphy with 1-12.

Trade down would change availability.

gucci888 likes this.
  9. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I've been thinking/dreading this for quite a while but didn't want to put it in writing and "bring" it into existence!

And if it does happen then instead of Captain James T. Kirk screaming...."Kahhhhhhhhhn"!!! it'll be Texans fans screaming "Lovieeeeeeeee"!!!

whag00 likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3/4 picked Bryce; one picked Anthony Richardson

11. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I went the other way.
    I wanted Banchero and with everyone saying that Jabari was going #1 overall I never actually did a deep dive into him until about a week and a half before the draft.

When I finally did I was HORRIFIED!
    I saw a player with no handle whatsoever that wasn't a run, jump athlete or rugged inside player and even the 1 skill he hung his hat on wasn't really that great either (he shot 43% from 2pt in college).

I said to myself "what IS IT that everyone sees in this guy?!") and from then on started praying (not literally) that Orlando would take him (Smith)!
    Then my nightmare came true! sigh

Now I fear the same thing will happen with Stroud.
    To me Stroud is the "Jabari" of qb's.
    And I DON'T mean that as a compliment!

I do not want to get "Strouded"! , but if it happens I will writhe in sports pain but still hope that my draft assessment turns out to be wrong on him.

Ahh the life of a sports fan! lol

whag00 and MadMax like this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I love BY as much as the next guy but his shoulder concerns, his size and height, he can't throw deep without compromising his form, and not to mention the fact he has to be a complete outlier to succeed in the nfl with his height and size and it would make me worry a bit having him here

raining threes likes this.
  13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I try to understand this, but Stroud actually has elite passing traits if you watch his film. Extremely accurate... Great processor.

Jabari as you mentioned didn't have any elite traits other than being big and having a great looking shot. I think it will pay off in time, but either way I think Stroud is probably the safest pick of all the QB's.

His floor is above average.

zeeshan2 likes this.
  14. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

When I've watched Stroud play I've seen a few WTF throws from him, but I agree that generally he's a very accurate QB.

But to me the fact he had the BIGGEST DISPARITY of all qb's in CFB of QB rating between a clean pocket and being under pressure is a GINORMOUS red flag!

As to an above average floor I suppose I agree with that but so what!?
    I don't care about mediocre or even slightly above average.
    If my QB isn't great I'd actually rather him suck big time so we can get off him quicker!

That's also why I wonder if all these people that want to take H. Hooker with 2-1 or trade up to the late 1st realize that it would effectively take us OUT of the QB market next year and probably at least 2 years after that because we have to give our high draft pick every opportunity to be good!

So if we DO take a QB he needs to be a great one imho!
    And I just don't see that in Stroud.

But I could be wrong too!
    Lord knows I've been wrong on draft evals before!

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Any QB, regardless of Buzz, is a crap shoot. Sometimes you hit and sometimes you don't. If only we could go back in time and get Archie Manning. We are in much, much batter shape than the Saints were at the time.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.patreon.com/posts/81046266

#1557 zeeshan2, Apr 4, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
  18. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Don't overthink it - just take whoever Panthers don't - you get a good one either way.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

BB585D34-E2B8-430A-874B-55F91A4C3960.jpeg

These numbers are interesting