1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Feb 7, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

1. Trade it Away

14.5%
  2. Draft Blake Bortles, QB, UCF

1.2%
  3. Draft Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

0.6%
  4. Draft Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

27.5%
  5. Draft Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

30.1%
  6. Draft Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

1.0%
  7. Draft Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

25.1%
  1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People act like "all in his head" is something easy to change. It isn't. Your personality is about as immutable as your physical body.

Lazy people don't suddenly become driven, motivated people any more than skinny weaklings suddenly become musclebound freaks. Your personality is pretty close to hard wired by the time you are as old as these guys.

The only way it is different from physical traits like 40 time is that it is more difficult to measure accurately. But if you are pretty sure you have a good read on a guy, you shouldn't expect that to change.

2. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Steve Spurrier, Clowney's head coach at South Carolina, just went on SportsCenter and essentially implied that Clowney doesn't have a great work ethic. Did say he gets the job done on game day, though, which is obvious.

3. Raven

Raven Member

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Can be a skewed stat, as Bridgewater and some other QB's on that list throw more routes past 5 yards than a guy like Blake Bortles who seems to be allergic to throwing past the line of scrimmage at times.

5. tmacfor35

Something that everyone new. It is up for the Texans to see if they feel that the leadership in the locker room can sway that work ethic. We already know that he is about to have the best combine from a DE ever.

6. Raven

Raven Member

What Clowney says at the Combine will be just as important as what he does, pretty much the same with Manziel.

7. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

That is fair

8. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get your Cushing analogy at all, but as for Mario, yes...he was successful for not putting it all together and of course teams would have him if his salary was reasonable.

Look, with the first pick of the draft you want to get a franchise player and I think it's fairly easy to say that Mario was not a franchise player, despite being a good player. I think he "could" have been given his physical abilities but he just never reached his ceiling here for whatever reason...and that sucked.

10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Yep... When your college HC is lambasting you before the combine... uMMMM, can i say, RED FLAG!!!!!

Clown3y has so many red flags you would think he's from China!

11. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Normally I would say "yeah, definite red flag" Then I look at Sherman. Or I can go back and look at Montgomery. You win some and lose some.

12. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Richard Sherman didn't have official red flags like Clown3y..

It's speculated that Jim Harbaugh was not overly supportive of Sherman to the NFL when Sherman entered the draft.

Essentially, that is why Sherman thinks he fell to the 3rd day.

But, there is no evidence of Harbaugh doing such things... All speculation.

Clown3y's red flags fly high and are glaring as ever.

Do. Not. Want.

13. tmacfor35

Wut?

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Then you look at how Spurrier gushed over a QB (Connor Shaw) that's not even gonna be drafted after winning their bowl game.

The guy is good character and has some talent but for someone to promote him so heavily knowing he has no chance to be drafted means he's a high character player.

I don't believe its personal between Clowney and Spurrier, its just hard to deal with all his faults, more than others.

15. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Clowney has issues, I don't know...

When Steve Spurrier (not a coach known to burn the midnight oil) is calling your work ethic just "ok" = code for lazy

You have an issue

16. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

sorry to go over your head like that...

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Agreed. It's looking more like Bridgewater or trade down. I would have been happy with TB or Clowney, but for a head coach to say effort was just okay in practices that typically means poor.

TB looks like they safest choice you can make at #1 right now.

18. Remii

Remii Member

What Spurrier said doesn't matter... For the simple fact that the Texans already knew what Spurrier said. McNair already knows. McNair already said Clowney didn't have a work ethic like J.J. And has already asked J.J. about working with Clowney if they draft him.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

20. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I had my own opinion about Clowney when he came into the first game of the season out of shape and over weight. Tells me he didn't care about his team or even playing this season. Just want's his big payday.

For me it's Manziel or TB or trade down. Now if we do go Clowney #1, I'm of the opinion you do not go QB at 1st pick in 2nd round. I think QB value there and first in the 3rd would be very similar. Would rather bolster another position. One thing I definitely don't want to hear is that we draft Bortles at #1 overall.