1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Feb 7, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

1. Trade it Away

14.5%
  2. Draft Blake Bortles, QB, UCF

1.2%
  3. Draft Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

0.6%
  4. Draft Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

27.5%
  5. Draft Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

30.1%
  6. Draft Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

1.0%
  7. Draft Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

25.1%
  1. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

**** Shaub! Hell the **** no to Shaub! He sucks ass!

2. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>A lot of this will change after Indy, but here's this year's first Big Board. <a href="http://t.co/7sbbpPvz5w">http://t.co/7sbbpPvz5w</a></p>&mdash; SI_DougFarrar (@SI_DougFarrar) <a href="https://twitter.com/SI_DougFarrar/statuses/435832065120927745">February 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/18/2014-nfl-draft-big-board-combine/

And for the interested parties:

1 person likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Mayock on Clowney:

CollegeFootball 24/7 @NFL_CFB
    Follow
    Mayock: My concern with Clowney is his mental makeup. ... Will he be happy to just be a millionaire?
    1:49 PM - 18 Feb 2014

CollegeFootball 24/7 @NFL_CFB
    Follow
    Mayock: Clowney has physical makeup to be best player in draft. Better player w/ more upside than Mario Williams had as prospect.
    1:48 PM - 18 Feb 2014

4. TeddyB

TeddyB New Member

If the texans draft clowney, can they afford both watt and him? And if they can, is it worth spending all that money on the dline?

I think clowney has the most potential out of any player in this draft, but it might not make sense to draft him from a financial stand point. I do not think we can afford to pay both him and watt and still have a substantial about of money to spend on other players. I am assuming clowney turns into a dominant player. I think we should go qb or trade down.

5. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

I am convinced that we could have the AFC version of Aaron Rodgers with Bridgewater

I do think we could get Reggie White from Clowney though

Decisions decisions

6. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

lol keep dreaming.

7. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Your sleeping on Clowney man, The guy is a force of nature.

For him its all in his head.

8. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

i have done my homework on clowney, and i am very familiar with his strengths and weaknesses.

if clowney develops a 'desire to be great' attitude, i firmly believe his ceiling is pro bowl caliber.

his game revolves around his speed and power, which are effective, but most NFL tackles can handle that.

unfortunately for clowney he is a stiff athlete. his inability to bend is a huge concern for me.

furthermore, i think mack & donald are much better prospects than clowney.

9. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Lack of bend? Is that something that can be corrected?

10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

hm.. that's a good question.

i do not think he can develop a proper hip bend.

he's just not that kind of athlete.

his speed/power is impressive. he's going to have a nice career and make a ton of cash.

just too many red flags and character concerns.

11. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

My main concern is if Clowney would just be satisfied with a wad of cash in his pocket

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Just finished watching the Brady 6 all I say is whatever we do and whoever we get I just hope we get it right.

13. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Just curious, what makes you come to that conclusion? Because there have been prospects who've had that "knock" before but have developed into great pass rushers.

FWIW Greg Cosell thinks it's correctable.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325742/article/cosell-jadeveon-clowney-could-be-better-than-mario-williams

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not so concerned with theat idea. Maybe he gets hiss cash and tries his best but I'm worried about the Mario factor, I.e. Great athlete that just never puts it all together. And look, Mario is a fine player and I was a fan but he just never took his potential to the fullest and that was painful to see at times.

15. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Crazy to think about considering Mario is an all pro

Mayock did say Clowney is better coming out than Mario

16. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

this pretty much sums up clowney.

you sprinkle in his character and work ethic red flags... and wallah.. you have a player that continues to get by on his athletic ability, which does not bode well in the nfl.

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

He sure is successful for never putting his act together. Maybe there is more than one way to go about being successful in the NFL. Look at Cushing whose style everyone likes but has been extremely disappointing since his Estrogen scandal. What do you care about? Intensity or results? I pretty much guarantee everyone in the NFL would take Mario if he had a decent salary.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Bad comparison. Cushing has obviously had his past 2 seasons derailed by injury, while being on pace to be the teams leading tackler and possibly become a pro bowl selection.

Mario wasn't the same player the year he got injured with us, because he was on the sidelines, injured.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

And that's the hardest part of being in the NFL. You have to have the drive and tenacity of 5 men if you want to succeed the way the great D-linemen do. Watt has that in spades. Clowney might look like Tarzan, but he certainly plays like Jane.