1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread (2.0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 3, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

Poll closed May 1, 2014.
  1. Anthony Barr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Blake Bortles

0.3%
  3. Teddy Bridgewater

9.4%
  4. Jadeveon Clowney

56.8%
  5. Khalil Mack

1.9%
  6. Johnny Manziel

26.6%
  7. Jake Matthews

1.6%
  8. Greg Robinson

1.0%
  9. Sammy Watkins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Undecided

2.3%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It feels too much like 2002 and 2006 to me. I think the pressure to go with the defensive player is going to be immense because

1. The first two times we were in this situation, the defensive pick was the right choice.

2. Clowney is from South Carolina, McNair is from South Carolina.

When the best player in the draft is from your owner's Alma Mater and picking that player would go along with what was the right choice the first two times you were in this spot, how do you explain to that owner that you want to reach on a QB?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, but there is very little chance that he's a top 10 pick and probably not even a top 15 pick. He's basically a slightly more athletic Travardo Williams.

3. Remii

Remii Member

I'm not saying he won't be good but he's all speed and no moves and lacks strength. He's still learning the position after moving from the RB position. He looks like a situational pass rusher at this point. San Francisco did that with Aldon Smith his 1st year but they could afford to because their defense was already loaded.

If the Texans spend a #1 pick on a defensive player he better be an every down player out the gate and Barr more than likely won't be, and in a 3-4 defense Clowney probably won't be either... But Mack would be... I definitely agree with you on that.

But when the rules of the NFL are geared to help the offense score points _ it's ridiculous to pass up on a stud offensive player like Sammy or Robinson or a quarterback that can get the job done. Just look at Buffalo's defense last year... All that money spent on pass rushing and they are still drafting in the top 10.

4. Remii

Remii Member

So Clowney is saying he didn't learn anything playing for the old ball coach Steve Spurrier and playing with the other NFL prospects in the past 3 years...???

5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I don't think Uncle Bob is going to interfere with letting the guys he put in charge make the pick. If O'Brien wants a QB at 1.1, we'll take one there. If not, it'll be Clowney. The fact that McNair went to South Carolina has no significance. This isn't Jerry Jones we're talking about, Ed Reed notwithstanding.

#125 Fullcourt, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  6. MrVengeance

MrVengeance Member

I'm all down for clown, but just because the first two times the defensive player was the right choice doesn't guarantee it will be this time. Clowney does have a legit concern's in his game as well so he is not a lock for #1 overall yet. We don't know who's where on Texan's board. If you have a QB on your top 10 and Texans think he has a bright future than that wouldn't be considered reach.

Also, "South Carolina" connection shouldn't be one of the reason to draft him. Its around on the same line of Aggie fans saying draft Manziel and keep him in Texas because he is a "era changing" qb and forget about legit concerns in his game as well.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Truth be told, either one of the three( Clowney, Mack, Barr ) are can't miss picks at #1 because of Watt. Not so much with the top three QB's.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Barr is far from can't miss and there is no chance he's taken 1.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This. I think the can't miss prospects are Clowney, Watkins, Matthews, and Mack.

10. jdr6000

jdr6000 Member

Manzy Magic won't happen in the NFL past the first year...when teams figure out the quirkiness of his one dimensional game.

Yes he is big but the NFL game will come too fast for Bortles.

Though frakishly talented, Clowney is too much of a clown to take seriously...until he proves otherwise.

Which leaves us with the most talked about player on this forum...Teddy Bridgewater. While not the "perfect physical specimen" so many people so dramatically point out, the NFL game will not come too fast for him. He will defeat the enemy like an android battling against John Conner.

I can't wait til a few years from now when Teddy is one of the more elite passers in the game. Unfortunately, it won't be with the Texans.

11. Remii

Remii Member

Wait a minute... How do you know that...? Are you sure the Texans would have went to the super bowl if they would have drafted Peppers. Carolina didn't have Payton Manning and Steve McNair in their division in the AFC was pretty strong. And Peppers didn't drag Carolina to the super bowl by himself. He only had 7 sacks during that regular season and only has 2 sacks in the playoffs for his entire career (10 games).... JUST 2 SACKS...!!!! Of course Peppers was the better player over Carr but that doesn't necessarily mean the Texans would have done any better if they would have drafted Peppers.

The Texans never won anything with Mario and the defense was garbage with him for his entire career except for 5 games (and they didn't miss him when he got hurt his last year). Tennessee drafted a quarterback with question marks and couldn't read defenses and went 30-17 with him and they didn't have an all world prospect pass rusher. People say the Texans made the right choice because Tennessee no longer has VY because he's no longer in the league, BUT they had more success with VY than the Texans had with Mario and Mario is still in the league but he isn't here. So how was he the right choice...??? All aspects should be taking into account rather a player was the right choice or not... Can't just base it on individual success (and VY had more individual success as well with Tennessee than Mario had here).

12. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Based on your argument Andre Johnson and JJ Watt were not the right choices because the Texans haven't won any thing with them either. There is no doubt that Peppers would have been a better selection than Carr and that Mario was a better pick than either Bush or VY. And the Titans won because of defense and Fat Albert had more to do with their success than VY.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

With Watt already in the fold, whatever top defender you put with him is going to be effective. Barr is flying under the radar.
    I think he would be a good pro.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I already made my decision a couple weeks ago. Draft Clowney or trade down. Mods, feel free to close this thread.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Actually J.J. and Dre have a couple of division titles and playoff victories. Where have you been...???

16. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

No brainer.

17. MrVengeance

MrVengeance Member

My point to bobby wasn't about whether if we picked up peppers instead of carr or whatever. His argument was the first two times texans were in this situation the defensive player was the right choice. I was just arguing even if it was right the first two time. It doesn't mean its going to be right this time. Exact opposite can happen too.

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Seems like most people who wanted Bridgewater moved onto clowney instead of Manziel. Props to us who had clowny the first time too.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Maybe those of us who are pro-Bridgewater remain so but are open to the reality that, sure, there is a lot of risk management involved. If there is not conviction in the QB pick, then by all means please let it be Clowney or a trade down over Johnny Grossman or Blaine Bortles.

Bridgewater remains my pick tho. Houston deserves two things: 1. a black leadoff hitter (check); and 2. a black quarterback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaCmCXBNpJE&t=2m58s

This ain't Vince Young folks.

20. Raven

Raven Member

Since Houston's smartest GM (Morey), most talented athlete (Watt), and hippest player (Parsons) are all White, I guess that would even things out.

See how stupid race comments sound? Think about it. :)