1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread (2.0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 3, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

Poll closed May 1, 2014.
  1. Anthony Barr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Blake Bortles

0.3%
  3. Teddy Bridgewater

9.4%
  4. Jadeveon Clowney

56.8%
  5. Khalil Mack

1.9%
  6. Johnny Manziel

26.6%
  7. Jake Matthews

1.6%
  8. Greg Robinson

1.0%
  9. Sammy Watkins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Undecided

2.3%
  1. Raven

Raven Member

You are working very hard to become the most obnoxious poster on this forum. Why? If it's because you think it makes your opinions more convincing, it doesn't, just the opposite.

2. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

He bashes Johnny every chance he gets then say's he likes him and wouldn't mind taking him in the 2nd which makes zero sense. I'd respect him more if he was like Bobby and just owned his dislike for Johnny and basically says he is almost undraftable.

3. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Sorry I am not an Aggie.

I know I irritate the strong contingent of Aggies on this forum

4. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

I think he can be good if he sits for a year or 2

5. Raven

Raven Member

Neither am I, neither are most people reading your snark, give it a rest or people will just start tuning you out.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Start tuning him out? He should have been, and was, tuned out long ago...like the first few days after he started bombarding the texans forum with nonsense and it was clear that there wasn't a stitch of logic, reason or insight into what he was posting. At least in the hangout that sort of sillyness can be taken for what it's worth, which is basically nothing.

7. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

You mean the logic, reason and insight you clearly lack?

8. Bogey

Then lines like this or that you obviously do not know what you are looking at to support their opinion as fact. Meanwhile, your viewpoint is also one held by many professional analysts, scouting services, reporters, etc.

None of us really know how these players will turn out, but to constantly hold your opninion as fact gets pretty damn annoying.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow!! Endoftheworld being attacked by a group of Aggie fans!!:confused:
    Coachbadlee to the rescue!!!!!:mad::grin:

I take it these guys haven't met Bobbythegreat or bigtexx yet? These are the ones spewing garbage.
    I still don't know who these guys want the Texans to draft. All i know is they think Bridgewater is the smallest and most frail QB in the history of the NFL.
    "Baby hands" Bridgewater!!!!

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I just don't want a baby minded Manziel.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

They're taking Bortles.

Then the entire fan base can **** a brick. :grin:

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

VanderMock 3.0

13. Bogey

Not what I wanted, but would not mind this draft. Really love the Skov pick. All though I think we would be missing out on a future great QB, Garappollo has just as good of chance as others of becoming a viable QB. Just hope we are building a stud D in the process.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Not me, I'm perfectly ok with Bortles, Manziel, or Clowney.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Bro you either are too lazy to read or can't comprehend what you read

I've been lobbying for Clowney since the beginning. I've been remarkably consistent. I've always thought Bridgewater could be good, but certainly not at 1-1. I'd consider him if he's there with the top pick of the second round.

16. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Brian Baldinger:

No brainer to take Clowney at number one?

Yes.

Why is that?

Most talented guy in the draft. Tremendous upside. He's a position of need, good fit, and in your division, I would say that ability to pressure Luck into mistakes would be a good way to chase the Colts right now.

More likely to get a guy(QB) in the 2nd round now than maybe 5-10 years ago?

Partly that but everyone is throwing the ball in college football. Very few places where they run it. Nick Foles at Austin Westlake, he was going on 7 on 7 when he was 15 years old. A lot more players now are capable. Outside of throwing, what else do you bring?

{I like Clowney but my fear/problem is} are these second tier QBs {Carr, Garoppolo, Mettenberger's} ready to play so I'm not watching Fitzpatrick for 16 games?

You can't look at it that way. You gotta draft the best player. Is Manziel better than Aaron Murray? I don't think so. Is Mettenberger a better pro than Bridgewater? I think he will be. It's Billy O'Brien's decision. Is there someone he can draft who is a day one starter or can be eased into the position so Fitzpatrick isn't starting 16 games?

Hard to decipher who the best QB is.

It's not a glob as much as it is a process. The whole process is designed to shred these guys apart. Part is the process, then there are more numbers this year and teams are scared by getting burned. It's a perfect storm. The process, getting burned, a lot of players. You have to trust your instincts on what a guy is going to be. Andy Dalton is what he is. Just what he was at TCU. A good player but when the games get big and sudden death, we haven't seen him play a big game yet. He's not that guy if you want to win the prize.

Teams will appreciate having an extra couple of weeks?

No. Even worse. What happens now, with all this time and information and tape available, you get further away from your gut instinct. We stop trusting our instincts because we're afraid we're going to make a mistake so we start taking in more and more information and further away from our gut.

Why is Mettenberger a better pro than Bridgewater?

Bigger and stronger. He's gone through adversity, getting beat out at Georgia, transferring, going through a situation off the field, coming back from a knee injury, playing in an offense that didn't allow him to be a gun slinger. He got everything it takes to be a really good player. The comparisons out there to Roethlisberger are real. Bridgewater threw really well at Louisville but when I'm in his presence, I'm not wowed and doesn't seem like he can walk into a room and take charge of the room. He's gonna be counted if taken in the first 15 picks to be that guy and I don't think he's ready to be that guy.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Way to go Johnny!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Mettenberger strapping on shoulder pads, helmet and wil soon throw. <a href="http://t.co/m0vipnkWPT">pic.twitter.com/m0vipnkWPT</a></p>&mdash; Drew Dougherty (@DoughertyDrew) <a href="https://twitter.com/DoughertyDrew/statuses/453969239724920832">April 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NotreDame&amp;src=hash">#NotreDame</a> DE Stephon Tuitt at <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Jaguars&amp;src=hash">#Jaguars</a> today, <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> Thursday.</p>&mdash; Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt) <a href="https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/statuses/453984588906635264">April 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm going to stick with Barr guys. He just stands out in that trio of he, Mack and Clowney. I just can't ignore that thing about only having played two seasons and still having those stats. It shouldn't be overlooked.

Mack: 4 seasons, 185 solo tackles, 29 sacks

Clowney: 3 seasons, 87 solo tackles, 24 sacks

Barr: 2 seasons, 97 solo tackles, 23 sacks

What if Barr had played all four seasons? He would have possibly amassed 30-40 sacks and possibly match tackles with Mack.

Now do you see my dilemma??:confused::confused: