1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The term "Islamophobia" is a misnomer and a propaganda weapon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 28, 2012.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

lol feel free to call this dude an "Islamophobe"

zero ****s given

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I don't see any difference of this word from antisemitic. One side use Islamophobia to slam those opposing their viewpoints while the other uses antisemitic to slam opposing viewpoint.

Any person speaking up for the palestine people or the cruelty of Israel actions on gaza immediately gets accused of being antisemitic. U see this behavior quite often and even on the d and d.

Idk why folks would get triggered thinking Islamophobia is a propaganda weapon/misnomer word just comes off as being a hypocrite.

#64 DatRocketFan, Dec 5, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The difference is that one of the terms is used to shield an IDEOLOGY (Islam) from criticism, the other is used describe hatred against PEOPLE (Jews).

An ideology should never be shielded from criticism, but that's what the term "Islamophobia" attempts to do - precisely because the ideology itself does not allow anyone to question it (neither its own followers, nor "unbelievers"). That's the trick, and the trap.

If there were an equivalent term to antisemitism, I guess it would be "muslimphobia" or something like that. Nobody should hate Muslims just because they are Muslims, just like nobody should hate Jews because they are Jews. But that's not what the term "Islamophobia" is about.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn’t eat bacon

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The fact that one can't publish pictures their prophet (one of many examples) without the fear of death or dismemberment definitely skews it against traditional liberal values. So it's definitely a double standard that has been weaponized and much different than claims over how anti-semitism is "weaponised" by virtue of the "victim" or "oppressed" using provocative threats and violence to suppress dissent.

I would not fear for my life by publishing sacriligeous things about Judaism.

I wouldn't do it in front of an extremist orthodox jew, but that orthodox jew wouldn't plot months or years of their life to "get me" just because some cleric told him to.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To think that more Muslim immigration will lead to Iran is a phobia. Even many Muslims in iran are against the rule of the mullahs.

FranchiseBlade and Xopher like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

14. Invisible Fan

Assuming I take the premise at face value, what can politicians do about it? They definitely don't want to alienate the target group or inflame sympathizers. They can't reverse course on immigration policies either as it's way past the tipping point.

I see some parallels with this and climate change policy. The opposing faction considers the pro side Alarmist, denies the social influence of either issue. Then when faced with mounting evidence, they start slowly acknowledge "something" is happening, but not entirely attributed to the root cause.

This form of sandbagging only hides the hopes and prayers by the opposing faction of it not being a "big deal" and not being wrong.

On a sidenote, as much as Americans bristle at the pace of Latinos crossing our border, I do NOT envy the demographic shifts happening in Europe. There are many well meaning and industrious immigrants, but there's also a sizable 2nd gen population who will cling onto the rage and victimization of their ancestral brethren and decide to do worse for it while throwing away any semblance of opportunity and agency afforded to them in their new country.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Except this isn't a frog in the pot argument where people are just in denial about the dangers of immigration. From first hand experience living in an area with a lot of Muslim immigrants am not experiencing any actual moves towards sharia law that the alarmist raise. While living in a northern climate in just the few decades I've been here I have noticed changes that match what is to be expected from Climate Change.

No one denies that there are Islamic extremists or that Iran is bad. That doesn't mean that Birmingham England or Minneapolis Minnesota is turning into Iran. Much of the Muslim world doesn't have Sharia and rejects it. Even in Iran many Muslims resent the rule of the Mullah's and religious police. The OP himself has been Islamic countries relatively recently and not been subject to Sharia.

Xopher likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Quite a bit of strawmen (snowmen?) you cooked up. The author wrote more than just using sharia law as an example. She mentioned it only once to describe the openess to radicalization British Muslims have replied on the record.

Maybe you didn't face any blood curdling Gaza protests up in in Minnesota (It snowed in Texas! Therefore...), but the discussion in Europe is very real and in their faces. They can wish the protests ended as far as dumb students holing themselves up in encampments and demanding schools to feed them or else...they cry to the media and mommy!

Thanks for providing an example to my point though.

Further reading material to gloss over
    https://www.restorationbulletin.com/p/islamism-and-the-far-right-two-sides

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Let's see what will happen in the Netherlands.

18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Wait, what is happening here?

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The question by @Invisible Fan was what could be done about discussion about the dangers of islamization being shut down by accusations of "islamophobia".

My impression is that a government is being formed in the Netherlands (after this coalition winning the majority of votes in a democratic election) that is critical of political Islam.

I am curious to see what actions they might take to address the dangers - as perceived by me - of further islamization.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The OP has raised the specter of Sharia law in this very forum multiple times.

as far as openness to radicalization as stated no one denies there aren’t Islamic extremists. In fact there were some Minnesotan Somalis who joined ISIS. It was only a handful out of thousands of Somalis and the Somali community took the lead in addressing the situation including working with authorities.
    As noted many times Ilhan Omar is my US Rep and she’s frequently a target of claims that she’s actually a radical Trojan horse. I criticize Ilhan Omar for a lot of things but that she is some Muslim radical isn’t one of them.

I don’t know how much time you’ve spent to Europe but I’ve been recently. Why yes I did see several Palestinian flags and rallies. It’s again not as though suddenly Amsterdam is a hot bed of Islamic extremism. As far as I can tell you can go about and do everything. You could before.

Thanks for providing an example to my point though.[/quote]
    And thank you for illustrating how much alarmism there is over this issue.

let me ask you this? Do you believe that immigration from Muslim countries is actually some fifth column to take over the US and Europe?
    Yes I did just gloss over it and again no one is denying that there is Islam extremism and the piece itself notes that there are many Muslim immigrants who have no interests in extremism and are fleeing it themselves.

Again I don’t know how much time you’ve spent in Islamic countries. I know ATW has spent some time recently. The majority of them aren’t Iran and many of them actively combat extremism.

peleincubus likes this.