1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Ten Greatest Individual Performances since 1986.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eyhab27, Jun 30, 2009.

1. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

I dont know if anyone posted this, but it comes from the cavs site. Top ten performances post-1986. They have Dream listed as 1 with his quadruple double!

http://realcavsfans.com/?p=974

June 14th, 2009
    The Ten Greatest Individual Performances since 1986.

top10Sometimes a player just flat-out dominates a basketball game. There’s nothing you can do to stop him, phase him, or even slow him down. Over the past 23 seasons, the fans have been treated to quite a few of these spectacular performances. Therefore, I felt it necessary to celebrate the ten greatest NBA regular season statlines since the 1986-87 season.

#10.

Drexler Dethrones Kings — 11/01/1996.

A 34 year old Clyde Drexler opened up the 1996-97 season with a bang to say the least. In the first game of the season, in front of a Houston crowd that cheered him on over a dozen years earlier in college, Drexler almost did the impossible–record a quadruple double. Drexler posted the necessary 10 steals, but was one assist shy of the feat as he led his team to victory with a triple double.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199611010HOU.html

Camakazee’s rating:

Honorable Mention Performance: On January 10th, 1986, Drexler was also just short of a quadruple double, recording 26 points, 11 assists, 10 steals, and 9 rebounds against the Milwaukee Bucks.

#9.

Milwaukee No Match for Malone — 1/27/1990.

Karl Malone dominated this particular game, attempting 26 shots, thirteen more than anyone else who played that night. However, no one would dare call Malone a ball hog, as he sank 21 of them en route to 61 points. Malone also added 19 made free throws and 18 total rebounds.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199001270UTA.html

Camakazee’s rating:

Honorable Mention Performance: On May 4th, 1999, Karl Malone scored 29 points on 84.6% shooting, tallying a triple double with 12 rebounds and 10 assists.

#8.

O’Neal Feels at Home — 3/6/2000.

In the coziest road game known to man, Shaquille O’Neal led his Lakers to victory over the Los Angeles Clippers in the Staple’s Center. In a Mantle/Maris-like race, O’Neal showed Malone how easy it was to tally 61 points, only he decided to one-up-him (technically five-up him) in the rebound category with an astounding 23. Shaq made 24 field goals that evening compared to only 23 field goals combined from the Clippers starting five.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200003060LAC.html

Camakazee’s rating:

Honorable Mention Performance: On November 20th, 1993, the Sultan of Swat recorded 15 blocked shots to go along with his 24 points and 28 rebounds as the Magic survived the Nets.

#7.

Bird Blazin’ against Portland — 3/15/1992.

The Hick from French Lick felt no mercy for the Trailblazers or Clyde Drexler in this late season matchup. Drexler had one of his best games of the season, recording 41 points, 11 assists, 8 rebounds, and 2 steals. Bird, however, wouldn’t let Drexler or Portland get the last word in as he scored 49 points, bested Drexler in all four categories, and led the Celtics to victory with a triple double in this double OT thriller.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199203150BOS.html

Camakazee’s rating:

Honorable Mention Performance: On March 16th, 1990, Bird recorded a 46 point performance to highlight his 10 assists and 8 rebounds. This time, however, he was nearly perfect, missing only one free throw and recording zero turnovers.

#6.

Stockton Spurns Spurs — 1/15/1991.

The Spurs and Jazz entered this January game with the same number of wins–24. John Stockton wanted to ensure that it was his team that advanced to 25 wins first with a performance that commanded three more assists to get to that magic number. With 20 points, 28 assists, and 8 steals, Stockton needed only 12 shot attempts to completely control this game, as his Jazz cruised to victory.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199101150UTA.html

Camakazee’s rating:

Honorable Mention Performance: On January 3rd, 1989, Stockton gave Houston fits as he scored 26 points on 75% shooting while recording 24 assists, 6 steals, and only one turnover.

#5.

James Delivers 52 on Set Stage — 2/4/2009.

While David Stern may not recognize LeBron James’ triple double in Madison Square garden, it’s one that Cavalier fans certainly won’t forget. With all of the media buzzing in New York City after Kobe’s big performance, James stepped up and delivered. As if scoring 52 points on better than 50% shooting wasn’t hard enough, LeBron led his team with 11 assists and 2 blocks.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200902040NYK.html

Camakazee’s rating:

Honorable Mention Performance: While I run the risk of coming off as a homer for placing this performance fifth, it’s more about the type of player LeBron is that nets him a top 5 spot. In the 23 season span I’m covering, on only 12 occasions has a player recorded 50 or more points and 9 or more assists in a game. Michael Jordan was the only other player to do it more than once (he did it twice), as LeBron James accomplished this feat an astounding five times.

#4.

Jordan Bests Cavaliers — 3/28/1990.

While it pains me to write about how Jordan demolished the Cavaliers yet again, the greatness of this performance cannot be downplayed. With little help alongside him, Jordan outscored the rest of his teammates combined, accounting for 59.0% of his team’s points as he led them to an overtime win. In addition to the 69 points, Jordan also grabbed an absurd 18 rebounds, 10 more than anyone else on his team.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199003280CLE.html

Camakazee’s rating:

Honorable Mention Performance: On January 15th, 1989, Jordan tortured the Boston Celtics to the tune of 42 points, 11 assists, 9 rebounds, and 8 steals. Jordan also went 16-17 from the free throw line.

#3.

Admiral Sinks Clippers — 4/24/1994.

Up only 2 points going into the fourth quarter, David Robinson capped off the perfect night. Scoring an outlandish 71 points, Robinson accounted for 63.4% of his team’s points while taking only 47.1% of the Spurs shots. Robinson also added 14 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2 blocks in a game that saw him outscore the Clippers entire starting five. By 33 points.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199404240LAC.html

Camakazee’s rating:

Honorable Mention Performance: On February 17th, 1994, David Robinson recorded the almighty quadruple double in a win over the Detroit Pistons. Robinson scored 34 points and added the bare minimum 10 assists, blocks, and rebounds in order to accomplish the feat.

#2.

Mamba Strikes Raptors for 81 — 1/22/2006.

In a night that most NBA fans will not soon forget, Kobe Bryant handed in of the most dominant performances in the history of the game. Kobe’s 81 points marked the second most in an NBA game, second to only Wilt’s 100. Bryant single-handedly took over the game, and given his supporting cast, it couldn’t have happened too soon. At the end of the night it took Bryant only 42 minutes and one game to score 81 points. With three points on the night, Kwame Brown had scored 82 points over his last 13 games played and 352 minutes of action.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200601220LAL.html

Camakazee’s rating:

Honorable Mention Performance: On January 7th, 2003, Kobe unloaded for 45 points on 12 made three pointers, tying an NBA record for most threes in a game.

#1.

Hakeem Haunts Warriors — 3/3/1990.

While David Robinson’s quadruple double only got honorable mention as #3 on the list and Hakeem fell 52 points shy of matching Kobe’s offensive output at #2, Olajuwon walks away with #1 honors given the well roundedness of his game. I would even go as far as to suggest that this may be the most well rounded statline in an NBA basketball game. Going to the free throw line only twice, Olajuwon made his 29 points more appealing by grabbing 18 rebounds, blocking 11 shots, dishing out 10 assists, and recording 5 steals. Oh, and he didn’t record a turnover the entire game. The NBA officially reviewed the tape and came to the conclusion that Olajuwon only recorded 9 assists (sound familiar?), but still credited him with the 10 assists for his career statistics. Regardless, this, ladies and gentlemen, is about as close as you can get to a quintuple double.

2. Chronz

Chronz Member

I hate triple doubles and arbitrary marks with a passion.

3. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I hate you.

Really though, that was a great performance. Its especially cool that after they took away that assist, he turned around and got another one about a week later. :eek:

Beast.

4. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Hakeem's line looks like something from a video game. I can't wait for my Hakeem the Dream DVD; it should get here any day now! I haven't seen that since it first came out on VHS.

1 person likes this.
  5. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Without any qualifiers.

Hakeem Beast Mode Olajuwon

6. Chinesekid123

Chinesekid123 Member

my favorite was t-mac 13 points in 35 vs spurs :)

7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I was wondering where this one was also.

8. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

oh so lebrons 50 something points against the knicks are there but kobe's record breakin 61 arent?

wow, i cant believe they hate on kobe like that. but hey. everyones used to it.

9. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

wth are you talking about.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I can't believe Clyde made that list! I vividly remember Willis missing a 3 that would have given a 52yr old Clyde the quadruple double as time expired. Thats probably the exact moment the Rockets Curse began, all because of Willis.

11. ThaBlackKnight

If you haven't noticed...one thing about Kobe's "greatness" is that its almost ALL SCORING RELATED.

The other guys mentioned all have rebounds, assists, blocks, steals to go with their points.

This is my main argument as to why I feel Kobe is overrated as a PLAYER.

As a scorer, I feel he's top 10...no argument there.

However, Jordan, Bird, Magic, Dream, Shaq, Wilt, Kareem, West, Baylor, Drexler, Pippen, Robinson, Lebron, and Dwade all have more COMPLETE games than Kobe in every area of the game.

While Kobe has some of them beat in scoring ability, I feel everybody I just listed is much better than Kobe at defending, getting assists, steals, blocks, and rebounding.

Im not hating on kobe or anything, but i honestly feel that to be considered one of the greatest, you have to do more than score a bunch of points for a good part of your career.

Just compare his rebounds, steals, blocks, and assists with Jordan and you'll see why that is just a ridiculous comparison...you will wonder how anybody could compare these 2.

Michael Jordan is in another galaxy when you compare their all around games.

Micheal Jordan's stats

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

Kobe Bryants stats

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bryanko01.html

12. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

The name of this article is "individual" performances. The fact that Tmacs 13 in 33 is not top 5 of this list is a joke.

13. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Holy crap, I know Kobe is mentioned in the article but christ, some of you have some unhealthy obsessions about him.

Do you ever think we'll ever see someone like the Dream again? So agile and fluid at his height....sigh....

14. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eQB3R7LoukI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eQB3R7LoukI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

15. ThaBlackKnight

In my honest opinion, I think Dream is the closest ALL AROUND comparison to Jordan:

They were both elite defenders.
    Jordan was better at steals, but Dream was better at blocking shots.

However, Jordan was a great shotblocker for a guard, while Dream was great at getting steals for a big man.

(Dream averaged more steals per game than most guards in his prime)

Both had the best footwork in the game. Both of them could carry a team of medioce players to decent success.

Both elevated their games in the playoffs. Both shot high % from the field. While Jordan was a great passer, Dream was a great rebounder, although Dream was a good passer and Jordan was good rebounder for a guard.

As far as completeness of the game goes, these 2 did EVERYTHING on the court. I think this is the closest comparison

Jordan and Hakeem Olajuwon...the 2 most complete players in NBA history

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Kevin Willis? Because he was supposed to hit three pointers or something??

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not even mentioned on the list cause it was more of a great performance in short period of time, not the entire game.

however, hakeem quadruple/almost quintuple double for a whole game without a turnover. that's perfect basketball.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The best thing about this is that about 2-3 weeks later, he got his quadruple double.

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Olajuwon destroys Admiral for stealing an MVP trophy.

Period.

20. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I guess this since this is game-long performances, or then Tmac's 13 in 35 and Miller's 8 in 8 don't count.

His stat line was impressive, 33/8/5st/2ast, but at 44% shooting, where this guy seems to relish efficient scoring. I don't think LBJ or Kobe should be on there though, or at least that high. Kobe's 81 should be near 10, against a Raptors team that was well below .500 and LBJ scoring a 3x2 shouldnt be at 5 just because he did it more than Jordan. And against a Dantoni Knicks squad? Cmon, try not dropping a triple double.

When Hakeem pulled that Quad double, it was against a Bucks team that had a better record than the Rockets. I don't remember who covered him, but they had like 5 guys at 6'10" or taller. He dominated while only being the team's 3rd highest scorer that game.