1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Team's Dependency on Kyle Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 17, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If Lee is paired with Dragic in the backcourt, I don't see why it would make a difference in the defense. Dragic would still, presumably, be guarding the opposing PG for the most part.

With Dragic running the point, it just seems like it takes the Rockets too long to get into their set, if they ever actually run a real set. Too much scrambling, too much probing that doesn't lead anywhere. Maybe having Lee take charge of point duties would be a good thing, but I don't think he has the playmaking abilities that Dragic has.

2. gah

gah Member

This is the type of comments you make that put me off.

How can you call somebody a point guard when that somebody lacks the two most essential skills needed for that position? namely ball-handling and passing ability. With his level at said skills, in no time he would have team doctors checking him for glaucoma (tunnel vision) if a team makes him a full-time back-up PG.

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Exactly. Are we really going to pretend last year's bench didn't look like complete junk as well without Lowry, with Adelman? Getting rid of Brooks and swapping Hill for a productive Patterson got the bench back up to +0 after being a huge negative. This year Patterson has not been productive to start off, and there is still Hill. As Patterson rounds into shape and takes Hill's minutes again, the bench should begin to settle down. Also I have hopes that Morris can take all of Budinger's minutes as more of a iso scorer that could also be a prime option for the second unit.

I do not dislike Adelman. However it does irk me when people put him on a pedestal and act like he was some savior. He was a solid coach with strengths and weaknesses, just like our coaches before him, our current coach, and our coaches in the future. It's funny that some Rocket fans find it offensive that the current coaching staff is doing a better job than last year.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

See no need for change. You are just trying to squeeze as much out of this lineup as you possibly can. Perhaps this is as much each of the last few years as is possible? Of course Rockets fans never think of that. The only way you can get more out of these players is for Parsons to develop, Dalembert to mesh better, Patterson, Hill, or Morris develop into a reliable weapon. Changing up point guard and shooting guard minutes of NBA veterans wont do anything. They are what they already pretty much will be for this team.

5. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Lee has actually played PG at times in his career. He's a sound ball-handler. He's not a flashy passer, but he would pass more than Dragic and be more than happy to set up others, which is what you need.

6. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Lee may not have the pure playmaking ability in the point guard sense, but he would certainly bring stability to the spot, which is sorely needed.

As far as defense, I could see Lee guarding the opponent's best perimeter player since Dragic tends to get broken down on D a lot. Lee would be crucial against dribble penetration.

7. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

On an unrelated note, when was the last time Kyle Lowry has dunked? Can he even dunk any more?

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

His pet player also happened to be his best option at the point until the injury happened. Do you dispute that fact?

Who is pretending Adelman was perfect??? :confused:
    I was just pointing out that Adelman was one of the few coaches that does not rely on a star playmaker to run a good offense. The topic of the thread has something to do with dependency on Lowry.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I know. It was a tongue in cheek statement.

and

True. Pretty sure if Adelman was here, Hayes or Miller would still be here.

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

kinda like the rockets dependency on olajuwon? or the bulls dependency on jordan, or the lakers dependency on kobe
    etc etc

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't hate McHale and I don't think Adelman is perfect. But how is this year's coaching better than last year?

12. gah

gah Member

Man, you are mistaken. He is adequate at best, he is not a sound ball-handler at all. Why? because he can't dribble in traffic, he was a turnover waiting to happen when he tried to last year. And he has 1/4 of Dragic's passing ability. Why? Because his court vision is none existent. What I meant by tunnel vision is that Lee can't dribble or pass unless it is on a straight line. I can't remember the time where I saw him changing directions while dribbling, something that even Von Wafer can do. Of course he would pass more than Dragic but in quantity not in quality of the passes. Saying Lee is better is almost the same as saying that Jordan Hill is a better passer than Brad Miller. He can occasionally do more than the basic pass but he turns it over at a high rate when the degree of difficulty rises.

Can he be your emergency PG? Yes, because when he stays within his boundaries the ball is safe and the guy is a team player but make sure you have a play-maker out there with him because that's definitely what he's not.

13. durvasa

I don't know. But I also don't see how it is discernibly worse, just by the results.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think it is worse either. I was asking the poster who asserted that the current coaching was better than last year's.

It's just too early to judge McHale's coaching for now.

15. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Lowry's numbers are significantly down the last 2 game, the long minutes are starting to get to him. The dependency is too much bit hopefully that will change during the season or we need to look for another back-up.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Abso-freakin'-lutely?

Brooks was arguably the better fit alongside Battier/Ariza/Hayes, which means at the very latest, Lowry should have been the 35 min/game starter the second Kevin Martin became a Rocket.

And I was just pointing out that Adelman was completely dependent on Lowry as well last year, his offense and defense falling apart when the bench came in. His system was no panacea.

I like McHale's quick adjustments. I like that he isn't afraid to experiment. I like that he doesn't pick favorites. I like that he has held Martin accountable, and while Martin's offensive efficiency has dipped while still adjusting to the new system(or new rules?), McHale has made him a better and more complete player by competing on defense and facilitating/passing on offense(averaging career high in assists).

That is all pretty subjective though. Objectively, we are 3 games ahead of the same time last year, all while transitioning to an entirely new coaching staff, with no training camp, extremely limited practices, playing a much more difficult schedule.

I agree that it is still early, but at the very least McHale and co. are looking a lot less like the headless chickens that most thought they were initially(not saying you did).

17. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Don't forget 2 years ago when the AB-led starters actually had a negative +/- and Lowry's bench carried us.

18. Burko

Burko Member

Do you get more points for a dunk? ;)

All this talk of relying on Lowry makes me wonder how your guys would react if we got a legit superstar on the team..... Would you still worry about reliance on a single guy?

19. durvasa

A lot of people didn't like our reliance on McGrady, back when he was a legit superstar.

20. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

I don't agree that Hill is still the problem like last year.

Also, lineups 1 and 5 don't seem too shabby to me:

http://basketballvalue.com/player.php?year=2010-2011&id=891