1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Team's Dependency on Kyle Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 17, 2012.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The one constant that we have not had is a consistency in types of play from the PG position.

Even though Lowry shoots a lot more than he used to, he is still a guy who looks pass first.....now you go to Dragic who is a shoot first guy, and the team bogs down unless he goes off, same can be said of Aaron Brooks last year.

What Morey needs to do is get another complimentary PG like Lowry (not as good etc) but with a similar style in order to clear it up.

Because the team is built to play with Kyle or a Kyle type of player....Morey needs to go get the next best thing....ISH SMITH !

DD

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'm all for Ish Smith. I see him as a poor man's Rubio.

3. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

I'd say hang on . . . The way Sammy and Chandler are playing D - I think we will win 7 out of the next 8 games . . . Scola, Martin, - playing consistent enough and Dragic has improved and finishes extremely well - Lowry playing at elite level- At 13-8 We are going to be in position to pick up a 6 or 7 seed - Let the team come together and gel - adding another piece in the mix doesn't make sense - unless (obviously) it's a blockbuster and we land a stud.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

we already have an elite passer who can break down defenses with his athleticism

[​IMG]

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You guys are hitting on it. The truth is Hayes is not here to facilitate. The second unit, with Dragic, does not have a true facilitator. Dragic is a shooter first, playmaker second.

Go back to last year and look at our +/- when neither Hayes nor Lowry were on the floor. I'll bet you it's negative. Just like this years bunch with Lowry on the bench.

We needed to improve on our core, which was Lowry/Hayes and then Martin/Scola. We didn't improve. We lost a critical piece.

6. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I have no problem relying on him. It is developing him for a bigger role next to the bigger stars that need to be placed next to him. Scola and Martin are scoring threats but together they could be used to bring a guy of similar talent to Lowry here. A guy who can get his own shot and create/do multiple other things. The Team would be better off for it because that guy can easily fill in for who we replace and we have the backups at Martin and Scolas position to fill in for them too.

7. cod

cod Member

Pat and Hill just need to make a few more shots closer to the hoop. When they do it'll start getting easier for the guys outside.

AKA the Jordan hill effect.

8. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this. McHale is doing what he can to win each game. In the short run, it is working, but in the long run the team may be better if they took a few more losses while some players find a way to fit together.

But I do understand McHale leaning hard on the PG. I just have concerns about how Lowry will hold up to so many minutes in the compressed season.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Fixed it for you. Just cut Flynn and Thabeet, those guys are just a waste of roster space. Lin would have been awesome on our team. Ish Smith as well.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Well, the Kyle Lowry dependence is gone for at least one night. Let's hope the 2nd unit keeps this up.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I wonder if Lee being in there helped some?

DD

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Patterson is a good consistent scoring option in the second unit.

Problem is, he is way too passive.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Has to do with the Piston being terrible more than anything else IMHO.

Anyway I think Mchale and co. found a short-term solution to the playmaking woes of the 2nd unit by playing C-bud and Parsons together with PP and Dragic. C-bud and Parsons are good passers so while you don't have a pg you have 3 good passers in the lineup. The D ain't that bad too.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Jordan Hill being out in the second half probably helped.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm all alone on this one, but personally, I believe Lee is the second best point guard in the rotation.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hollinger's writeup on Diaw before this season provided some chuckles:

[rquoter]
    + Ballhandling combo forward held back by increasingly poor conditioning.

+ Sees floor well but often eschews easy shots to make pass. Midrange shooter.

+ Good defensive player. Strong and moves feet well. Subpar rebounder.

Whoever wrote that French people don't get fat clearly never went to a Bobcats game. Although Diaw's conditioning has had surprisingly little effect on his game, he's clearly been living large of late. It hasn't affected his hunger for passing, however, as he led all power forwards in Pure Point Rating and assist ratio.

Diaw eats up small defenders on the left block, where he has a nice right-handed jump hook shot, but the hard part is persuading him to shoot. He averaged just 13.3 points per 40 minutes, even though he's become a decent mid-range shooter that hit 44.6 percent of his long 2s last season and shot 34.5 percent on 3s. He chews up most big men off the dribble, too, with his superior ballhandling skills, but in spite of all that he finished below the league average for power forwards in usage rate.

His rebounding famine is another problem. While Diaw has advantages in most respects at the power forward spot, he rebounds like a wing. His conditioning is part of the issue, plus he's not a leaper and he's a bit undersized. He was second-to-last among power forwards in rebound rate at a pathetic 9.0.

Defensively, Diaw once digested opposing power forwards with ease but increasingly burps up scoring chances. He makes up for being a bit short by having superior strength, which helps his post defense, but his conditioning has slowed him a bit in help defense and he provides nothing on the boards. His defensive numbers had been very strong earlier in this career, but last season they were quite ordinary across the board.

All told, it's tough to swallow the idea that Diaw can remain a starter for long. His PER remains below the league average and he's not providing enough defense to compensate. Relegating him to sixth man while promoting Tyrus Thomas is an idea the Bobcats should chew on.
    [/rquoter]

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The simple solution? Bring back Adelman.

It's the same thing with McGrady during the JVG era. The team played like chickens without heads whenever TMac was not there.

Adelman was able to generate a great offense without a star player. Now McHale is back to the give-it-to-the-best-playmaker-and-we-are-doomed-without-him system.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Adelman was also able to keep that star player nailed to the bench barely playing over 20 minutes a game until his pet player goes down with an injury.

Neither McHale nor his system is perfect. But let's not pretend Adelman was either. Running the offense through your best player seems to work well for most teams who have won the championship of late. None of them needed Adelman's gimmicky offense.

19. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

No, I agree with you 100 percent.

Dragic irritates me. The offense stalls and scrambles whenever he's in at PG. You can tell the difference. He doesn't look to set up others, and that's horrible when he's one of few who can actually create his own shot. I mean, his style works with the second unit because there's no true post threat so the Rockets have no choice but to run-and-gun, but it's not the recipe for success.

I don't mind Dragic at the 2 with Lowry at the 1. I actually think it makes a lot of sense. But I do think mcHale should tinker having Lee see more time at the 1 and Dragic at the 2. It might be a nightmare defensively - particularly on Dragic's end - but the Rockets are a nightmare defensively anyway.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

^^ Besides, it's not really that simple because

1. Adelman is under contract for several more years.

and

2. The Adelman system required a good high post passer to work efficiently. We don't have that guy.