1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Team's Dependency on Kyle Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

During the course of the season, it seems that the team has had problems playing without Kyle Lowry on the court. Lowry had to play 41 and 49 minutes in back-to-back games recently, and had to be rushed back on the court last night when the team was blowing a significant 4th quarter lead to the Wizards (and Lowry wasn't even having such a great stat-stuffing game, ether). I don't think it's just McHale being paranoid, either: Lowry's on-off/court +/- numbers per 100 possession have been more than +10 both this season and last.

So, I am wondering what everyone think of the issue and potential solutions.

My own thoughts are as follows:

1. It's probably not all that shocking that the team does much better with Lowry than without him: he is the best player on the squad after all. It's happened with other best players on teams and coaches have often relied on them for heavy minutes (the situation reminds me of Steve Nash and the Suns, which struggled to find a backup for him).

On a related point, I am not sure if this is means Dragic is especially incompetent-- he seems to put up perfectly respectable personal numbers, has some interesting skills (had fun watching his "dream shake" move) and seems to play hard, if a little bit out of control. He's probably no worse than most of the bench PGs out there, just not nearly as good as Lowry, who is playing at a very high level.

2. So, what are the solutions? I can think of a few routes:

a. Do nothing Due to the lockout and lack of training camp, many of the guys havent' really played together much in the 5-men combinations being deployed and they may well be just getting used to the new coach. The starting lineup didn't look so good just a few games ago, so maybe the Lowry-free lineup will fix itself, too.

b. Steady hand The one thing that bothers me about Dragic is he gets out of control. So maybe a more experienced and steady player like Jarrett Jack or Mo Williams would be better?

c. 2nd Star The team has guys who can score (Martin and Scola) but they are really guys tend to score off assists rather than create their own opportunities. Maybe what the team needs is another guy who can create for both himself and others either from the perimeter or in the post (like Pau Gasol) but this is easier said than done.

d. Point Forward/Center
    Having a good passer at PF/C could take some pressure off of the PG having to bear such a high shot-creating burden. The issues is they are not that easy to find. The only candidate I can think of is the fat Boris Diaw.

e. Mutombo No, not the actual Mutombo, but someone who did what Mutombo did filling in for Yao Ming: An aged star player playing reduced minutes-- maybe like what Billups is doing now. Not easy to find. Chauncey is taken. Maybe Steve Nash? But that's probably fantasy.

f. Von Wafer Also not him specifically, but someone like him: a guy who is pretty much only good at getting his own buckets and whose job is to come in and do exactly this. I am thinking someone like Michael Beasley here.

Thoughts?

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I've very obvious on the court.

Similar to how we needed T-mac to create and score his first few years.

1 person likes this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Simple. Bring back Aaron Brooks as a backup PG, whenever he gets out of his Chinese contract.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Fixed it for you.

2 people like this.
  5. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Its our reliance on the pick n roll. Lowry is the best pick and roll player, and seems that it is also the bread and butter for Mchale. Without it, unless Martin or Scola are having good games (shooting off screens or post up respectively), our offense struggles. It seems most whenever Lowry is in the game, we'll run a quick play, and if it breaks, the backup is always Lowry pick n roll with X player...and while it is effective, it has the issue you posted this thread for.

Lets face it, the RA motion / spacing offense is slowly diminishing and with it comes reliance on true passers, and Lowry is really the only one on our squad (besides Twill on the bench).

6. Dei

Dei Member

Scola used to be able to work his way into the basket.

7. durvasa

I think Dragic is good enough to where he shouldn't be benched. However, I just question his point guard skills. He's more like a poor man's Ginobili.

If we could bring in a veteran who could settle the offense when Lowry isn't on the floor and allow Dragic to play more as a scorer than a setup man, that might be ideal.

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Besides bringing in somebody who can create their own shot, like Pau Gasol and Nene (oh wait), the most likely scenario is probably bringing in somebody cheap who runs a team better than Dragic, like Ish Smith or maybe even Jeremy Lin.

9. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Haha!

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The team goes how Lowry goes because that is McHale's system, he wants the ball in his hands almost every play - whereas Adelman had a share the ball mentality which was much harder to prepare for....

OK, that out of the way, the OP is right, the problem with that system is we need another pass first PG......for the 2nd unit and surround him with shooters.

DD's solution - pick up Ish Smith.

DD

11. cod

cod Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. durvasa

But the team was very bad last year without Lowry on the floor as well.

[rquoter]“He makes very good plays and what I really like about Kyle is he knows the strengths of the guys he’s playing with,” said Rockets Head Coach Rick Adelman about his point guard’s ability to orchestrate Houston’s offense down the stretch of close games. “Kyle’s been the guy that we’ve leaned on, he’s been the playmaker. He’s just been terrific and you can’t say enough about him.”[/rquoter]

1 person likes this.
  13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

G. MARCUS MORRIS

14. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

well i think his legal troubles are the only way we can tank this year.

15. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Both Martin and Dragic are struggling to score when Lowry is not on the floor, that was different from last year when both played well. I think the rockets should give a try for other backup PGs if Dragic can not handle hid job.

16. DaDakota

Yes, but it was less noticable due to the system.

DD

17. Mr. Clutch

Weren't Lowry's 2nd half stats from last year even better than what he has done so far this year?

18. Mr. Clutch

Jeremy Lin was the answer.

But we had to keep crappy Flynn.

19. DaDakota

Lin would have helped a lot too, what about Ish Smith though, he just got released from Golden State and he is a push the ball and pass it out kind of guy?

Of course we would have to cut...whats his name.....Adrein to clear a spot.

DD

20. rju1986

rju1986 Member

"..the Lowry-free lineup will fix itself, too."