1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Team Owes Case Keenum One

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by yuisakata, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

Agreed. Nuk almost made the play due to his ability to make a great adjustment with his body. Case will improve on location to Hopkins as he gets more reps with nuk. Nuk is a very crafty wr with very good hands. I'm 100% ok with looking more towards Nuk on jumpball plays. I just think that's the area of Nuk's game where he actually is better than andre. Everything else goes to andre but nuk his an elite jumpball game.

2. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

Also, OP's post and thread sucks.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

OMG, it's Donny Most! You missed so many thoughtful, really insightful discussions about Matt Schaub these past several weeks, man...

I wouldn't term either a drop, necessarily. Hopkins' ball, especially, was, technically, a bad throw (it should have been to the shoulder opposite the defender so he can't, you know, make a play on the ball). But... picking nits; they'd be fools to not give Keenum the rest of this year, if for no other reason than to confirm the team's next QB isn't on the roster.

IMO, once teams get film on him - and it'll happen in two weeks when the Colts get a bye to dissect his game - he'll come crashing down to earth and we can start the process of moving on from these QBs and, very possibly, this regime. The absolute *last* thing this team needs is any delusion about its QBs.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

And what happens when Keenum finishes out the season playing on the same level as, or above, what he showed in KC? Would that still be a delusion or do we draft a franchise tackle in the first round to protect Keenum?

1 person likes this.
  5. solid

solid Contributing Member

I wasn't surprised by Kennum's performance. I have seen him make those throws many times. He has a certain "sizzle" about his game, a combination of confidence, cool, and competence. He knows what he is doing. The pressure on him in the second half was other worldly. He literally didn't have time to raise his arms. No QB succeeds with that kind of pressure. I believe his upside is higher than Schaub or Yates. He does not have Schaub's experience, but he is so much more exciting to watch. If he was given more freedom, he would even be more electric.

I stood up more during the game than any game I have seen this year. Very gritty, but exciting game. The "little" things made the difference. With better protection, the Texans would have won. A running game would have helped too. Kennum didn't lose the game for the team, but with a little more help, he could have won it.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

That seems unnecessarily negative. Hard to come "crashing down" when you're not exactly on top of a mountain at the moment. Teams already have a ton of pre-season film on Keenum, anyway. The thing that struck me is that he played in the shotgun most of the game. That is definitely not something that happened in pre-season.

You have to wonder, is that by design, or by necessity? I'm guessing necessity, because of the lack of RBs (once Foster went out, it was shotgun all the way) and the lack of pass protection (shotgun gave Case more time to read blitzes and gtfo of the pocket).

Nothing Keenum did looked like it was a product of any kind of scheming. He was very dynamic with his throws, had excellent timing, made good reads, and is naturally mobile and extending plays. That's not something film can do much to help you stop. That's just talent.

7. DonnyMost

I thought this quote by McNair was notable:

“I thought he did a hell of a job. He was outstanding. If we’d have given him better protection at the end, I think he’d have gotten us down the field again. He showed a lot of poise. I was proud of the way he played.”

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I agree with this. I didn't expect much from him against KC in KC. He proved what he's capable of as an improviser. And the OL didn't do him any favors at all.

I don't KNOW that the's the answer long term. But he just might be.

9. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

this is HILARIOUS. one damn good game with an understaffed offense against possibly the best defenses in one of the most hostile environments in the league and you've already determined keenum will come "crashing down to earth". yet 5+ years into the schaub experiment and you were still carrying his jock :rolleyes:

newsflash: your opinion on qb's is essentially irrelevant at this point. save everyone the hassle of having to scroll past your expert qb evaluations from now on.

1 person likes this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That's a good way to look at it, actually.

Can't wait to see another sample.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Well that is encouraging. He saw what many of us saw.

12. Hey Now!

Well, routinely finishing among the league leaders year after year buys you some equity with me...

I was impressed with Keenum yesterday; I think he should be the starter the rest of this year, and I'd be thrilled if he established himself as our franchise QB. But I don't think he will.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

I agree. Hopkins was completely and utterly underutilized in all but one of the games Schaub started.

Case showed just how good Hopkins could be.

14. Hey Now!

I'd say Keenum and his fans are pretty estatic right now; some have even suggested giving him whatever the hell he wants for 2014. My guess is that he, and his fans, are in for a rude awakening in as early as two weeks.

So... IOW, they have a ton of film of him *not* doing what he did yesterday? (And are we really going to label 79 career preseason pass attempts as a "ton"? That's roughly three games against, 100% of the time, second, third and fourth stringers.)

The leap from one-game wonder to full-time QB requires figuring out how to overcome teams finding, and exploiting, your weaknesses. The Chiefs were, more or less, able to do it after 2Qs. You think Indianapolis isn't going to have Keenum cracked with a week off?

I don't remember him ever being under center so I'd wager by design.

He looked very good; I was very impressed with him. Having zero experience with Keenum, I'm cautiously optimistic they stumbled onto something potentially intriguing. But I have a sinking feeling the Colts in two weeks, assuming he starts (and he should), are going to bring everyone back down to earth.

15. DonnyMost

You're not a fan of hyperbole based humor, are you?

A ton compared to the none you intimated.

Exploiting Case's weakness, or exploiting the Texans' weakness? I'd say the latter. The OL was a turd sammich yesterday. Our best pass catching and blocking RB was out. We couldn't run the ball and were routinely in bad down and distance in the 2nd half. I think it's pretty easy for KC to figure out how to stop any QB in that kind of situation. Blitz the right side, which they did.

Fosters carries came almost exclusively under center. Once he went out, the play action under center also went out the window. So it was shotgun or bust.

Nobody, outside of maybe Antec, is on cloud 9 right now. We're impressed. We're cautiously optimistic. But we're still 2-5 and basically dead in the water. The fact Keenum legitimately deserves to finish the year is what most people are happy about. He's a QB that brings something different to the table and we're going to get a real shot to see if he can be the man. That's something any tired battlefighter should be a little excited about.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1st and goal . . . .and cannot punch it in . . . . . . .

When that happened . . . I told my friends it would bite us in the ass
    and it did
    once again . . Kubiak Kubiaking . . . .

Really wanted him to show some balls and say . . u know . . this is 4 down territory

Rocket River
    That is all . . . .

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hell . . it was strange hearing Posey's name called

Rocket River

18. Hey Now!

Check the thread title, Donny...

It's none, Donny. If KC spent more than a millisecond watching preason film of Case Keenum throwing meaningless passes to Jeff Mahael in the 4Q of a preseason game in Tampa Bay, they're fools. And based on how well they schemed the Texans, they're not fools. Heck, they didn't even know he was starting until Friday; Reid said the QB was irrelevant - that they run the same system, regardless. Only... they didn't, did they? Meaning, again: they had *zero* film. But now the league has something legitimate to look at, re: Keenum, and they'll crack him. Everyone gets cracked.

Nope. Came out in shotgun. And Ben Tate was still there; the rushing attack wasn't uniformly altered until he went down.

And I'm right there with everyone. It was fun, and if we momentarily discard the s***sandwich this season has become, it was a *great* game. But I think the excitement will be short-lived.

#38 Hey Now!, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  19. Hey Now!

I didn't understand the Jones carry at all; makes zero sense to me. Why not roll Keenum out? Having said that, better pass on third down, and it's 7. Too bad.

The one that really got me was the fourth-and-one, I believe to make it 17-16 - after the fumble, IIRC. Nantz and Simms was literally starting to discuss the viability of going for it when Kubiak essentially shut them down by not hesitating to send Bullock out.

He definitely played not to lose yesterday.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

All Season . . . . all his career

Rocket River