1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tags:
  1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

If someone knowledgable could explain the Cap/Tax implications of today's move, I'm sure a lot of folks (including me) would appreciate it.

Please and thank you.

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

patience my young padawan...Bima shall enlighten thee..

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

They can still dump salary to avoid the tax before the nba contract year ends

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Maybe we saved 900k in salaries on the deal?

Fairly shocked we didnt drop below tax line today. Odd. Might be Morey saying 'screw you' to Les for being cheap and not hiring a coach?

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

We took back about $735k less in salary, which means that Les will pay about 1.5x less than that it luxury tax. So barely a drop in the bucket. This trade was not about the luxury tax.

It did back us off of the hard cap slightly (I think it's 1:1, so $735k) to maneuver if we want to sign a buyout player, for example.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes, I believe we will have a Clutch/Bima podcast by tomorrow

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We saved Les some money- AIN't it GREAT to be a Rocket fan?

We get to cheer for the owner saving money and Morey doing it to save his job.

WOOHOOO !!!

Good times ahead.

DD

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm sure it was a secondary thought to trading Lawson, but other than that it would have been very hard to get below the tax line (since we were not all that close to it to start with) without having a blatant firesale.

Man, you are as dense as ever.

Yes, I'm sure Les is just stoked by having to pay exactly $1.1 million less in luxury tax while his team is meddling and the future uncertain. If there is one thing that the firing of McHale told us it is that Les is not cheap and cares about winning.

BTW $1.1mil is less than .001% of Les Alexanders net worth. So yeah, I don't think he's sweating over the luxury tax.

#9 DieHard Rocket, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

11. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

How does passing Anthony onto Philadelphia impact the numbers quoted in this thread?

12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Morey and Les: 1

Tax: 0

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

For an owner spending millions of dollars , it is a big deal and I would probably be aware of it too if in his shoes. That being said, the team is like a part time hobby that generates profit for him consistently. The guy inherited Hakeem and hasn't done jack since for a very good reason.