1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Tankathon Extravaganza 21/22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Grizzlyshark, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

I got this idea based on Itmar on twitter (give him a follow if you arent @itmar_17_10 ) who posts a daily tankathon draft sim to see where the Rockets end up in the draft.

I thought id expand on that idea a bit more and run through a whole mock draft using everyones favourite online trade machine and also do a few off season Rockets moves based on the draft outcome and where i see us moving forward.

I will try and be as true to one tankathon draft sim a day HOWEVER where i will differentiate from Itmar is that i will keep going until we get our top 4 pick (not sure people would be into just our late rounders.. but that could change).

The main reason i want to do this is 1. Im not HUGE on college ball. I read draft analysis and watch the odd game here and there but would really like some feedback on guys, from you. This board helps form a lot of my opinions around the NBA so im counting on you all to do it again. And 2. Fun.

So.

Without futher ado. I present the 1st of (hopefully) many Tankathon Extravaganzas!

Tankathon #1

Notes from draft sim.

1. Houston
    2. Minnesota
    3. Toronto
    4. Orlando
    5. Detroit

Rockets also get #23 and #24

Mock draft:

Link to mock draft:
    https://tradenba.com/mock-drafts/BOmYQFGiD

1. Houston draft Cade Cunningham
    2. Minnesota draft Jalen Suggs
    3. Toronto draft Evan Mobley
    4. Orlando draft Jalen Green
    5. Detroit draft Jonathan Kuminga

Other notes:
    Houston draft Davion Mitchell #23 and Chris Duarte #24.
    Kai Jones to the Wizards at 8. Ziaire Williams to the Grizzlies at 14. Day'ron Sharpe to the Knicks at 21.

The fade for Cade worked! Rockets get the guy to team with KPJ for their backcourt of the future. Not a lot to write about this one. The general consensus for #1 in the draft.
    Rockets also pick up 2 guards late in the draft. While some more size would have been good here, i think the 2 guys taken fit with the Rockets long term, or at the very least are the kind of talents that can be showcased and flipped. Im VERY big on Davion Mitchell. He's shown to be an absolute dog who will do it all as a guard on defense. Duarte is a do it all guard/wing. If he put this all together while still being 19/20 he would be a top 10 pick no doubt. His age is a factor, but this year with Tate, the Rockets have shown they will take a flyer if the talent is there.

Offseason moves/trades:

Link to trade machine:
    https://tradenba.com/trades/H0YKBGf3k

For some reason the Hornets seem like a team that would be willing to take on Wall. It may be the Russ rumors from last year, but i still think a Wall/Ball backcourt could be a good thing for the team looking to compete.
    NO send a 1st for getting off the Adams contract that goes to Charlotte.

Steves contract may be a hard pill to swallow but its to get off the Wall contract. Same length. Less money.

Give. John. Collins. All. The. Money.

Its been stressed on the board enough how much fun a Collins/Wood front court would be and i whole heartedly agree.

Rockets line up:
    Cade/Mitchell/Augustine
    KPJ/Gordon/Duarte
    Tate/KJ
    Collins/Wilson
    Wood/Adams

Was trying to find a creative way to get off Walls contract. Let me know what you think!

Hopefully people enjoy this and it gives me the motivation to keep on going. Thanks team!

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I went from 6 to midnight real quick, but would totally bust if were Green or Mobley instead of Cade

csc177 likes this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is actually a great way to do it - publishing a simulation every day. This is much better than just saying "_______ has a __% chance to win." This is a lesson that we learned about 5 years ago.

saleem likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This is coming from a place of total ignorance for me so be gentle lol. Is there a prospect out there good enough that would make Stone/Rockets trade #23 and #24 (and maybe another 1st?) to move up into the low teens to nab?

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

can tillmen even afford cade?

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Franz Wagner or Zaire Williams for me and hell yes THIS is the draft to do it. Will probably be one of the best drafts in recent memory. DRIPPING with talent. Should even be able to find a rotational guy with the pick in the 20s.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I want to see Sharpe as the first pick in the 20's for the Rockets. I like Hyland as well.
    He's a tough guy.

Grizzlyshark, sydmill and fattz like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This will be fun to follow along. Thanks

saleem likes this.
  9. saleem

Please make your own suggestions to this exciting thread. I look forward to your posts.

Deuce likes this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Or maaaaaayyyyyyyyyybe: #23, #24 + Danuel House, Jr. for a top 8 pick? (post-lottery, when teams know exactly where they stand)

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. steddinotayto

I'm all for whatever can move us up on the draft board, especially if we keep our top 4 pick in this next draft.

saleem and topfive like this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

I agree. And two top 10 picks in this strong draft would certainly speed up our rebuild.

Plus, f$#k House. I feel horrible about his recent tragedy, but am still pissed about the bubble stupidity.

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Why would Charlotte trade for wall when Rozier, Graham, Ball, and Monk are better than him?

14. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Not sure if we would be able to get as high as hes projected, but im big on Kai Jones.

Whats better than 1 Christian Wood? 2 Christian Woods!

15. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Im not really sure if Rozier is the better player than Wall to be honest. And im kinda betting on Charlotte thinking the same.

If Wall and KPJ can coexist succesfully this year and KPJ can attribute some of his success to working with Wall then thats a point in our favour.

Rozier woukd be a part of this trade and Melo would move more into that ball handling 2 guard spot (like KPJ).

Wall, Melo, Graham, Monk aint bad. Along with what they have been succesful with this season, and their draft pick, that should hopefully be a playoff push next year too.

16. fattz

fattz Member

What could we get if we traded the first pick? I would lessen to what was said for sure. Mobley is the real get here. If some was willing to give a great asset and keep us in the top three I would do it. Just think if there is a chance to add an asset and keep the same tier we should do it.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Even worst case scenario and they crash out if the lottery, Rockets will likely end up on opening night with the highest-drafted rookie on their 15 man roster since Sam Dekker at 18 in 2015

Before that you have to go back to Royce White/ Terrence Jones. It's actually amazing how we not only survived but thrived for 10 years with Capela and almost no other team-drafted players becoming above-average contributors. The last top 10 pick we had was Yao Ming!

18. steddinotayto

Goes to show you can just throw out mostly random guys on the floor with Harden and he can get you into the playoffs.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I love the idea behind it - but really, any creative idea that involves a team giving us a pick/s for the privilege of Wall's contract is not realistic (IMHO). Even though he will only have 2 years left, they are 2 quite highly paid years! I'd be happy if we could just manage to break it into more manageable pieces...

Plus also, Charlotte have 2 point guards already (Ball and Rozier), and then Devonte Graham. I really don't think that's a reasonable destination unless they are moving Rozier (and given the way he has played the last 2 seasons, Wall is potentially a downgrade to Rozier on the court).
    The right idea though - a team desperate to make the playoffs or add veteran leadership to go deeper in the playoffs is the right angle.

Grizzlyshark likes this.
  20. saleem

Do you think that Wall might do a better job for the Pelicans?

Grizzlyshark likes this.