1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Storm's impact on the Democratic Campaign

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As a Democrat, I'm getting increasingly concerned about the storm's impact on the election, and yes, I'm certainly concerned about the storm's impact on the people and infrastructure of the region, which could be huge, but I'm looking at this from a political angle. The President's campaigning is going to get a major disruption. He can't just leave Washington during this and campaign in several of the swing states, or he'll get hammered for "ignoring the crisis" as President, but Romney can do what he likes, say what he likes, and go where he likes, hammering Obama the entire time, no matter what's happening. All he has to do is open every campaign speech with a "solemn" comment voicing his "concern" about the situation there, telling everyone to "pray for the people," blah, blah, blah, and then launch into his campaign rhetoric, which changes, of course, depending on where he is, and how he feels when he licks his finger and sticks it up in the air.

Something has to be done. Obama needs to be in Washington looking after the country during this evolving crisis, of course. The country expects him to. Hell, I expect him to, unless the White House floods, or the storm turns out to not be as bad as so many experts are saying it's going to be. One of my concerns is that someone besides Joe Biden, who I admire, but who hardly campaigns as effectively as the President, needs to step up and take up the slack. In my opinion, it needs to be Bill Clinton, it has to be Bill Clinton, and I would love it if Hillary hit the campaign trail as well, but that's unlikely, worse luck, considering the situations overseas that she has to keep an eye on. Yes, Bill has been doing some good campaigning for the ticket in selected spots, but now they need to slip him into President Obama's slot on the campaign trail, because the President's going to be very busy over the next crucial days, and Clinton is the only guy I see who can have Obama's impact on the electorate.

I'm going to be watching how this plays out. I'm worried. President Obama will be showing leadership during this crisis, which will help him politically, but that isn't the same as campaign rallies in the swing states. Thoughts?

Double post/thread! Just pick one and delete/close the other thread, if that's possible. I'd appreciate that.

#1 Deckard, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

Sally is the October Surprise

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Whoops! Double post. I was trying to edit the title, changing a lower case "i" to an upper case "I". If someone can delete one of these, I'd appreciate it. I should have just left it alone.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

The day after 4 Americans were murdered in a terrorist attack by Al-Qaeda (including an American ambassador), Obama skipped his intelligence briefing to do a fundraiser in Las Vegas. He doesn't give a **** about some storm.

5. BigBird

BigBird Member

Who is Sally? I think you mean Sandy.

6. thumbs

thumbs Member

Why not ask about the impact on the presidential campaign rather than just the Obama campaign? Of course, that's about all Obama is good at.

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

I am bracing for the storm. Thank Allah we live on a hill. The flooding gets bad near the water.

8. mc mark

mc mark Member

[​IMG]

9. David Stern

David Stern Member

Which swing states are in the storms path? Ohio, etc? How will this impact turnout?

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A cheap shot, thumbs. You might try reading the title of the thread. Hell, there are two of them.

11. mc mark

mc mark Member

Don't sweat it Deckard. The trajectory of the election is set.

BO will reassure the country that he will do all he can to lead with calmness and composure. Mr Obama has already started by visiting FEMA today and Washington offices have already closed for tomorrow.

If Romney attacks him during this time he will look like the petty, desperate loser that he is and the country will see once again what a mistake it would be to elect him.

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Rest assured, conservatives and Republicans will go out to vote in this election come hell or high water.

And the Liberals and Democrats? They may not be quite as motivated. We shall see.

13. thumbs

thumbs Member

The title reads "The Storm's Impact on the Democratic Campaign." As far as cheap shots, I'm a minor leaguer. Look at the accusations that Romney is a liar, a felon, etc. However, this will all shake out in a week or so. I could refer you to another thread where I suggested mc mark vote early because of the possibility that Sandy will knock out power that would prevent his vote.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wish I could be as sanguine about this as you are, but I'm not. I'm also not sweating, but I am worried. You make a good point about Americans seeing Romney "taking advantage" of the situation, assuming he does (and I'm assuming he will), but if he plays it right, not everyone will see it that way. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

17. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

I'm hoping the storm will blow all the crazies away and keep the sane people. :grin:

18. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

Why does Gaia hate Baracka Obama?

19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Member

Same here,..dearth to liberals..dam crazies! ! No I'm posting to wish everyone well. This is really looking like a perfect storm. 6100 flights cancelled, millions may go without power...as far as politics, the people will decide. My own wishes is for Romney to win. , and it's okay to differ. My own wife may vote for Obama, but I'm trying like heck to change that...I just hope this isn't a Katrina like affect but I'm worried for the people. . .

20. Granville

Granville Member

Hurricane Sandy = 2012's version of a Hanging Chad