1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The Supreme Court Justices don't have twitter accounts? They could have just said as much if they do.

You seem to post on the simple, easily disproven issues but when it comes to the former POTUS running again to get immunity from lawsuits or Florida's GOP House candidate that won't concede and claims "voter fraud" even though he lost 20-80, or about DeSantis attempting to pass laws that don't make "white people feel bad" for their part in history you're MIA.

Can you ever man up on these?...or will you ignore the facts and slither away like usual?

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

That's not what the reporter reported...

Supreme Court hears arguments on campaign finance law, issues statements on NPR report
    Three Supreme Court justices issued statements Wednesday addressing an NPR story about relations among the justices. On Tuesday, NPR reported that that Justice Sonia Sotomayor, a longtime diabetic, had indicated to Chief Justice John Roberts that because of the Omicron surge, she did not feel safe being in a room with people who are unmasked, and that the chief justice, "in some form asked the other justices to mask up."

On Wednesday, Sotomayor and Gorsuch issued a statement saying that she did not ask him to wear a mask. NPR's report did not say that she did. Then, the chief justice issued a statement saying he "did not request Justice Gorsuch or any other justice to wear a mask on the bench." The NPR report said the chief justice's ask to the justices had come "in some form."

NPR stands by its reporting.

What is incontrovertible is that all the justices have at once started wearing masks—except Gorsuch. Meanwhile, Justice Sotomayor has stayed out of the courtroom. Instead, she has participated remotely in the court's arguments and the justices' weekly conference, where they discuss the cases and vote on them.
    https://www.npr.org/2022/01/19/1074...mpaign-finance-law-issues-statements-on-npr-r

And gorsuch is still the only justice to not wear a mask, still earning the adjective...

VooDooPope likes this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I would be glad to answer any questions to me in those threads.

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

They're all GOP related which is the topic of this thread in which I just asked you about those issues? Just disappear without answering, it's ok. You can always go to a conservative Reddit or Facebook safe space if you're feeling down and need a pick-me-up.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

eknbn2b019v71.png

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am on record here hoping the orange doesnt run again. He can be beat so there are better options at this point. I dont hang out in this thread so I will need to do more reading on the desantis question. I appreciate the banter.

7. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

9. NewRoxFan

The leading candidate for the republican presidential nomination (and ex-president) whining again...

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is the headline from the linked NPR story, which clearly is a hit piece on Gorsuch:

Gorsuch didn't mask despite Sotomayor's COVID worries, leading her to telework.

11. basso

Supporting Member

further:

"It was pretty jarring earlier this month when the justices of the U.S. Supreme Court took the bench for the first time since the omicron surge over the holidays. All were now wearing masks. All, that is, except Justice Neil Gorsuch....

...according to court sources, Sotomayor did not feel safe in close proximity to people who were unmasked. Chief Justice John Roberts, understanding that, in some form asked the other justices to mask up.

They all did. Except Gorsuch, who, as it happens, sits next to Sotomayor on the bench. His continued refusal since then has also meant that Sotomayor has not attended the justices' weekly conference in person, joining instead by telephone. Gorsuch, from the beginning of his tenure, has proved a prickly justice, not exactly beloved even by his conservative soulmates on the court."

read the goddam story, which is an opinion piece thinly disguised as reportage.

12. NewRoxFan

What was inaccurate? It didn't say Sotomeyer asked gorusch and it didn't say gorsuch refused. It did say he didn't wear a mask (as apparently he hasn't recently) and according to sources roberts "in some form" asked the other justices to wear masks.

13. NewRoxFan

Again, what was inaccurate about the title?

14. basso

Supporting Member

directly contradicted by the chief:

15. NewRoxFan

The ussc public relations team is not unlike any other pr team.

Addendum... gorsuch knew of his colleague's health history, and obviously knows he sits right next to her, yet chose not to wear a mask. And she chose to work remotely.

16. basso

Supporting Member

you're drawing an inference that is not supported by the facts.

and we have the statement from the justices themselves.

17. NewRoxFan

That kumbaya statement from ussc pr does not address Gorsuch not wearing a mask leading to sotomeyer needing to work remotely, but I guess it’s great that the justices don’t hate each other

No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

some readers pushing hard for a story they'd desperately love to believe in

Astrodome and basso like this.
  19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

When or if it happens I hope you come back so we can all shove your face into it. I know what you’re doing probably comes natural in your profession but if you don’t see the erosion of democracy in this country something is wrong with you.

Play devils advocate all you like but in the end it’s going to come back to bite you in the ass. Mark my words…

20. basso

Supporting Member

CSPAN = ussc pr?