1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Contrasts the words of Ronald Reagan in his farewell speech and the words of Trump yesterday.

My parents came here legally but I’m technically an anchor baby as when I was born here neither of my parents were citizens or had permanent residence. I don’t resent people whose parents came here illegally or like the dreamers came here very young. I think most of those coming here illegally are not here to do us harm but want their own chance to build a better life and add to this country.

As the commentators here in this piece say. America is not a country built on ethnicity or religion and no matter where you or your parents come from you can be an American.

2. astros123

astros123 Member

@Salvy parents came here ILLEGALLY and he only become legal afterwards. Scumbag who got lucky and now wants to deport everyone else. Worst type of MAGATs

Andre0087 and deb4rockets like this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How do you know that?

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He said so in one of his posts.

5. Salvy

Salvy Member

My parents came here illegally, proceeded to become citizens shortly after...... I was born here. My parents also didn't come during a Biden open border crisis, they came fleeing an actual civil war and not just simply claiming asylum because of Biden's easy open border policies. My parents did not get a hotel in New York or San Francisco, they worked hard and purchased a house at an extremely early age as residents. Paid taxes like everyone else and contributed to this country.

6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Unbelievable. Yeah, it's pretty disgusting when those who were born here from illegal migrant parents don't want to see anyone else get a chance at a life better than the one they are desperately seeking to escape. Of course, they try to justify their situations as more dire, not knowing what poverty, violence, or whatever else made thousands of others put their lives at risk to escape from. They'd rather just act like they are more worthy of being an American. It's fine for me but not for thee. The MAGA mantra.

FrontRunner, astros123 and Andre0087 like this.
  7. Salvy

Salvy Member

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Most illegals pay their taxes. That means that they we should cut them a break, right?

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

From what I recall your parents came at a time when many were accusing Reagan of not doing enough to address the border. There were many then too who said the exact same things that “illegals” were bringing crime, disease and taking jobs. Then the argument was that mules were bringing cocaine over the border.

Also as you’ve noted yourself El Salvador has had a lot of issues with crime and gangs in the last ten years. Bukele wouldn’t have been elected if it didn’t. Venzeula has been racked with economic and political turmoil under the Maduro government.

Also you don’t think that people who like your parents made dangerous crossing risked their lives so they and their children could have a better future aren’t here to do just that?

It’s sad how much you’ve turned your back on people like your family. If anything g given my family came here legally with my parents working hard to earn scholarships at US universities. I should resent your family for just crossing the border and then benefitting from the generosity of Americans and Reagan’s amnesty.

I don’t. I recognize that your family came here to build a better life just like those come from El Salvador and Venezuela now.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This attitude by so many who were immigrants or recent descendants of immigrants is so prevalent. It’s “my family worked hard to get here while these other guys are just lazy here to leach off the country.”

It was powerfully summed up in this scene from the show Warrior.

“your people came here the same reason my people did. The cubboards were bare and the people needed to feed the children.”

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There's many things to trash McConnell over, but Garland issue has been overblown by liberals. Garland getting a hearing wouldn't have made a difference because republicans had a majority, The only credible loss is the impact the hearings would have on the elections which is low to negligible because the libs who did care about scrotus (significantly smaller than pro-life cons) were already making a fuss about Garland. I guess libs wanted Collins to flip during confirmation or something, as if no one has seen that Charlie Brown plus Lucy with the football trope X many times before.

Can't blame Mitch for lib voters being complacent about issues that didn't impact them yet. Even with the latest scrotus shitshow rulings, polling hasn't revealed a sizable bloc for Biden in order to retake scrotus. Republicans are more unified on the judicial long game.

The bigger impact to senate norms was Mitch overriding the filibuster for federal court judges.

Also, his refusal to convict was him reading the tea leaves for votes to convict. Romney, the christened living Republican saint of libs after McCain's passing, became a social pariah within his own party because of his vote to convict and he admitted he wouldn't be as emboldened if he couldn't afford a ridiculously expensive security detail for his family.

13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

That was Harry Reid, McConnell did finish the job of going fully nuclear with the Supreme Court. In hindsight, RBG should have retired, Garland's seat was still stolen IMO, and the Dems failed at the long game because they expected the GOP to play by the rules...lol. Now we have a true shitshow with them banning everything from books to DEI to the right to peaceably assemble. The party of small gubment ain't for it after all...who'd a thought?

mtbrays and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. cdastros

cdastros Member

15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Not defined? Hmmm...

[​IMG]

16. Salvy

Salvy Member

Despite stating my position many times in this forum regarding immigration, I''ll do it once more and clearly because I find you somewhat tolerable compared to your woke dumb liberal buddies.

I support immigration, I have always supported immigration. I believe immigration is important for every country to thrive. Immigration is essential in nearly every single component of a great country. I am a product of immigrant parents, the opportunities granted to my family and I should also be granted to others. The opportunities granted to my family and I were granted to immigrants before us and before them others. All these people have made America into the country it is today. Our political leader's should not be looking into neither ending immigration nor to welcoming every immigrant that want's or needs to come here. While as good people with good western values we want to help other's we are in no position to help other's if we cannot first help ourselves.

I am 100% against mass immigration and open border policies and especially when we can't even get inflation under control. We can't even get the housing market under control. I'm a real estate agent, I work with investments mostly and it is insanely difficult to both buy and rent at the moment.
    Mass immigration and blindly welcoming everybody in results in more crime here and in China and Europe and virtually anywhere. We need a stronger border, we need better immigration laws, we need better politicians that aren't looking to cater to one side or the other in order to get votes. We need politicians that are willing to put the work in to make this country better for everyone even those entering illegally.

You cannot let thousands of people in every day because maybe a few of them are good hard working people, you also can't keep all of them out because there may be a few murderers and rapists... However, we will never be able to stop immigration all together. Both legal or illegal, my parents crossed illegally. They're main priority was to fix that, I don't think they were here longer than a year without a proper residency and working permit. I was little when they came home late at night from english and citizenship classes after working all day. This is what we want from illegal immigrants, this is what we should want and expect from them.

We don't want protests for free housing, we don't want violence and we don't want them killing our people. We don't want them filling up hotels and shelters that could go to our very own citizens in need. This DOES NOT happen under normal immigration, this happens when a poorly ran government decides to do nothing because their political opponent is pushing a strict border.

With that said, none of your woke buddies care. I'm conservative, for that I'm the enemy....Regardless of my position.

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Good thing Trump wasn't President when your parents crossed. If he had his way they would have just shot them, or deported all of you without giving your parents a chance at citizenship. If you think only a few of those thousands wouldn't cherish the opportunity to work hard and work towards citizenship then I'd say you are wrong. That's so ridiculous to even say. I bet 90% of them would work their butts off to have a safer life, food on the table, and a job. Guys like Abbott and DeSantis made a game of shipping busloads of immigrants to cities without enough housing to put them in temporarily. They didn't give a damn. What did you expect them to do? Just have them sleep on the street after being shipped there?

Sure, there need to be limits, but you're lucky your family got across and were given a right to citizenship. That doesn't make you or your parents any better people than most of the others trying to get across illegally. Why don't you just go live in the worst corrupt countries in Central America and see why they are desperate to get out? You and your woke woke retort shows you are as juvenile minded as Tinman and the rest of the bigots, racists, and MAGA cult on here. You guys support an ignorant racist sociopath and criminal for President, which says a lot.

#11137 deb4rockets, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    astros123 likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Most illegals pay more in taxes than they will ever, ever get back.

No Worries and deb4rockets like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

That's just not a thing that happens here in reality...try again

It cost a whole LOT of money to get someone legalized with a work permit/greencard...it was over $40K of legal fees and bullshit...and that was 40 years ago, It's way more expensive now.

I've been here and done this, so don't try to bullshit a bullshitter.

#11139 Buck Turgidson, Mar 3, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    deb4rockets likes this.
  20. astros123

astros123 Member

cdastros likes this.