1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

**** your feelings bro

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

But why is it an event worth reporting? Do you report every city council meeting in America? There is one reason why that video would be newsworthy in a "state of the republican party" thread, isn't there? Do you otherwise care about the politics of a random city in Alabama.
    Yes. I was quite up front about what I was doing and why. You could think it was stupid or wrong or mean, but intellectually dishonest it was not.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Why was it a topic worth posting in a discussion topic about republicans? Oh, I don't know, perhaps that both people involved were republicans. And a news event that was reported nationally. Maybe next time I will approach the forum police to have topics about republicans reviewed?

And you thinking that voting in a primary for a candidate you don't support just to troll co-workers isn't intellectually dishonest probably shows a bigger problem in your intellectual honesty.

dmoneybangbang and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. StupidMoniker

It isn't about what you are allowed or not allowed to post. I have said repeatedly on this forum that I think people should be able to post essentially whatever they like (bearing in mind legality). My point was what is the REASON for posting about it. Certainly is involved Republicans, so that checks out, but what does it have to do with the STATE of the party? Unless you have a particular interest in the municipal politics of a small Alabama city, I could only see one reason why this story would be of interest. Why do you think it was reported nationally? Do you think it was because some municipal policy at this meeting bears on a national interest?
    I think you are confused about what intellectual honesty means. Joking is not intellectually dishonest. Pretending that a post which is clearly about racism is really about, well you refuse to say what your point was but anything other than racism would fit here, is intellectually dishonest.

5. NewRoxFan

Clearly two republican lawmakers accusing each other of offensive things is good sport for critics of the republican party. But... and I have said this a number of times... the councilman vocalizing the n-word in a government setting while being videotaped was wrong. Wrong and offensive. You, on the other had, defended what he said. Which illustrates your character. Or lack of.

Furthermore, I view the elective process to be a serious responsibility of being a citizen. People fight for that responsibility. You think voting for a candidate you don't support in order to piss off your co-workers is a joke, which again, reflects on your character and intellectual dishonesty.

6. NewRoxFan

george p. bush comes out of this looking like a fool. And worse, a fool in front of his family.

7. NewRoxFan

8. StupidMoniker

You are sooooo close. Why is it wrong and offensive?
    Again, I don't think you understand the term. People write in Snoopy or Mickey Mouse as a candidate. People voted for moronic television personality Donald Trump by the millions and actually elected him president. No, I don't think a joke vote for a candidate no longer running in a primary election in which I don't care who wins the Democratic primary (and the party I support doesn't actually have a real primary to determine our candidate) is some betrayal of a sacred civic duty. Sanders took California by 400,000 votes, btw, so I wasn't affecting the outcome.

9. NewRoxFan

You need to have someone explain why using the n-word in an official government meeting is wrong and offensive? What other offensive and wrong words do you need help with? Again, this really is a reflection of your character and integrity. But please continue on...

And yes, people writing in Snoopy are also showing a window into their character, their integrity. Especially in a presidential election. Especially during a time when the elective process is under scrutiny.

And it doesn't matter whether you think your vote counts. I live in the reddest of counties in a red state. That doesn't make my vote any less important to me. Because when it is all said and done, I know I voted for the candidate that best represented my beliefs. So my integrity is intact.

Obviously your integrity is less important to you... hence you continue to argue...

10. NewRoxFan

11. StupidMoniker

I know why that particular word is considered offensive, I want you to admit why it is offensive. For some reason you refuse. I wonder if it has anything to do with your denial of making racism accusations.
    I don't view it as a lack of integrity. Why would voting for Klobuchar or Snoopy or yourself or Snooki lack integrity? Congratulations, you lessened your preferred candidate's defeat in your district by 0.0001%. Until we have ranked choice voting so third party votes are more meaningful, people who don't support either of the major parties can only hope to generate enough support in the general to get their party on the debate stage or getting public funding. The primary is meaningless to me. Hell, I wish millions of more people would have voted for Snoopy or Jorgenson or anyone but Trump and Biden and we could break the two party stranglehold.

12. dmoneybangbang

LOL. Take the L......

You can say the N word all you want with your buddies..... just make sure no one is recording. For whatever reason.... you and your people have an accountability issue.

NewRoxFan and vlaurelio like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what do you mean, "your people"

14. astros123

astros123 Member

I'm thinking D. What do you all think

VooDooPope and peleincubus like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Jeffries is a Democrat, you're in the wrong thread

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

History is (and I mean history 200-300 years from now) will likely regard Trump as the worst President in the history of the US under every metric. I would think they will be able to quantify these things very well by that point. He is all of those things above and the worst of it all I think he may be the least intelligent president in history and will likely never have a President less intelligent. I do not mean U Grant A Jackson or George W Bush dumb I mean I think Trump is another much higher level in that regard.

VooDooPope and Phillyrocket like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

dude, there's no way we make it that far into the future . . . per William Shatner:

https://www.trektoday.com/content/2021/07/shatner-we-wont-make-it-to-the-23rd-century/

Shatner: We Won’t Make It To The 23rd Century
    T'Bonz 1 week ago
    [​IMG]

© ET, © Discovery Channel
    In an interview with The Big Issue, William Shatner spoke about mankind’s future, his love of danger, and his own mortality.

Many fans of Star Trek drew comfort from the fact that humans made it to the future without destroying themselves, but Shatner doesn’t think this will happen. “Fifty years ago, I read Rachel Carson‘s Silent Spring,” he explained. “I remember vividly. What she said was going to happen has happened.

“And I remember coming to England and giving an interview saying, ‘Hey, this is what’s going to happen.’ And the interview that was published was, this stupid actor thinks there’s going to be these terrible things. I remember resenting it. Because I’m an actor, can’t I have an opinion?

“What we’ve done, all of us, is bury our head in the sand. It’s so awful to contemplate what’s going to happen. And it’s going to happen.

“Recently I’ve been reading about the city of Miami thinking of erecting sea walls. All those port cities – England is filled with port cities – are going to have to erect walls, the way the Dutch have, to keep out the ocean. No question about it.

“I’ve seen maps of what the ocean is going to do to Bangladesh. There’s sixty million people in Bangladesh! It’s going to be underwater! Where are those people going to go? India already has too many people. Pakistan, are you kidding me?

“That’s going to be the way it’s going to affect the world. And it’s going to be awful.”

“The real reason everything is happening is there’s too many people,” Shatner added. “The planet can’t sustain seven billion, let alone ten billion. It’s such a complex problem. And nobody’s dealing with it. Nobody! It is going to be, not the end of mankind, but it’s going to be the decline of mankind.”

At ninety, Shatner has fewer years ahead of him than behind him, and he has thought about mortality and his own death. When his time comes, there will be no graveyard burial for the actor; he wants to be buried and then have a tree planted on top of the remains. “I am going to be a redwood,” he said. “I have a place I want to be buried, some land I own, which is just below the sequoia forest in California. Of course, you want to be a sequoia, the biggest tree. But it takes the longest, one thousand years, so a redwood will be more viable.

“I want my body, my ashes, to nourish the roots of a young tree and grow. And actually, that’s one of the answers, isn’t it? Instead of taking up land for the dead body: Oh, there goes Uncle Sam, let’s go see Uncle Sam in his grave. Then you stop seeing Uncle Sam and Uncle Sam’s body lies there moldering. And it’s of no value!

“This way you use the atoms of your body to nourish something living like a tree. I think it makes a great deal of sense. I love it. And I want to be a tree.”

Meanwhile, Shatner is living life fully. He went underwater for this month’s Shark Week. “I drive fast cars,” he said. “I go under with sharks. And my family say, don’t – for God’s sake! And I find myself doing it.

“There was a woman, they called her the shark whisperer. For the last thirty years she’s been working with sharks to the point where she could pet a shark and she carried a shark over and put it on my lap. Now I’m petting a bloody shark with my bare hands. I’m in the midst of danger. And I’m loving it.”

Source: The Big Issue

18. StupidMoniker

I think you are confused. This is about a city councilman quoting a mayor. I do not and have not said "the N word" outside of quotations or discussions about the word itself since before I even understood what racism was (like as a 4 year old). The issue I have is with false accusations.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Oh my god are you still blabbing about this? Use the N word all you want. Say it loud and proud if you want. Just don’t be shocked if everyone around despises you, and you lose your job.

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

If only you cared as much about the false accusations of a stolen election by a disgraced former president and his brainwashed cronies.

Rashmon likes this.