1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Aren't you a martial artist? I don't think you are teaching cops about community policing? The very nature of what you are teaching is going to require practical application.

In the military, we did practical application of martial arts skills. Obviously. It was even part of our morning physical training in many mornings(ground grappling, sparring etc). But training on things like cultural awareness training when deployed overseas, LGBTQ acceptance, ya all those things are done through power point lectures and I can tell you that the vast majority of grunts retain like 1% of those classes, forgets 50% and the other 49% turn into memes and inside jokes at the barracks.

Right now the Biden admin has a three prong approach to policing :

Hire 100,000 more cops across the nation

DOJ investigations which finds problems, not solves them.

And training on "community policing"

Only the last one addresses cultural issues. You can tell me another thing the Biden admin is doing to actually address the cultural issues in these departments because right now it seems to be just classes. And yes most cops probably dismiss those type of classes as soon as they aren't around their higher ups. And many higher ups just do the classes to just check checkboxes so they can tell the DOJ or whoever is doing oversight that they did the class. It just becomes an administrative trivial step at that point.

#6841 fchowd0311, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes it does and what I teach in sports martial arts isn't the same as what I teach in the use of force in other situations. One reason why I'm so outspoken regarding issues of self-defense and why it's a bad idea for a civilian to try to be an LEO. I also teach de-escalation, including understanding psychology and psychological tactics to defuse a situation. A lot of that was taught to me by an ex-LEO.
    That's the military and if I recall you were infantry so you probably weren't given more involved training than units with more specific assignments dealing cultural situations might've. I don't know what experience you have with LE or with training LEO. There are similarities with the military but it's different. It seems like you're generalizing from your experience to what PD's are doing.

3. fchowd0311

It would be a bad use of resources to not teach infantry the most about cultural awareness as it's the grunts in remote villages in Afghanistan that are doing the most interaction with local remote populations.

The similarities between the military and law enforcement is that it's literally the same group of people. 90% of my former peers are cops. It's literally the go to profession for former Army and Marine infantry. Law enforcement is full of former grunts and MPs. It's the same culture, same political leanings etc.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Sure they should but my understanding from people in the military are there are specialized units that deal much more with cultural sensitive issues. There are also people who work with the State Dept. and other groups who have more specific training than military when dealing with overseas.
    Yes a lot of LEO have served in the military. That doesn't mean they undergo the same training. Since these were people you served with did you get training in things like how to properly cuff, someone, what the "recovery" position is, or how to preserve chain of evidence?

5. fchowd0311

Do you notice every thing you are referring to in terms of training is for what happens AFTER initial interaction with a suspect or detained individual? Proper restraining techniques is not what I mean by "changing the culture". The type of things that might change culture like the concept of "community policing" is mostly given in a sit down classroom setting. That ain't going to do much until the cops that actually are hired don't have pessimistic right wing views about poor minority neighborhoods.

A cop doesn't go through the same training as a infantryman. I never claimed otherwise. I'm referring to the same culture, same political leanings etc that are shared amongst grunts and law enforcement. It's because it's mostly the same people.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

OK then have you had de-escalation training?
    LEO do get that. As stated much of the de-escalation training I had was from a former LEO.
    You would agree that that de-escalation training would improve interaction between LEO and minority neighborhoods. Also how do you know that community policy is mostly given in a sit down classroom setting? The training is also done through interaction with the community including meeting with community members and getting involved in community events. I know this first hand because I've participated in such things with LEO.
    That is the point. You're making an argument about training yet you haven't had the same training. Attitudes and political leanings aren't the same as training. And yes I will agree that is a problem among LEO. The point of training though is to try to address those. It's not simple or easy. As a local district commander told me the leadership of Minneapolis and St. Paul PD recognize this which is why they are reforming things through different and better training. Through what type of candidates matriculate through and through who they retain and who they are trying to get move on.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

I guess my overall point is you aren't going to change ideology and right wing leanings of cops through classes and even practical application such as meeting with community leaders. Because at the end of the day the boots on the ground cops are just going to see those attempts as trying hinder their jobs and make it more difficult. I'm sure you will admit that a large portion of cop culture is very antagonistic and defensive towards "liberal" politicians and feds trying to restrain their tactics because many of them sincerely feel they are at war with the community they are policing and these new policies and training will accomplish nothing besides increase risk to their safety and the safety of their comrades.

Cop culture has to buy in to the concepts of things like community policing before the classes and training are actually applied rather than scoffed at.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes I can agree that "cop culture" has a lot of problems that you speak of. I've seen it and even experienced it first hand. Like most groups though LEO aren't monoliths and there are many LEO who recognize this is a problem. Major change is usually slow and especially within institutions as large as Law Enforcement. Dismissing the training and the efforts though that is being undertaken I think is self-defeating. Politically major moves along "Defund Police" aren't going to happen. Radical restructuring of PD's is very difficult and like in Minneapolis many of the proposals aren't well thought out and resisted by much of the public including in minority high crime neighborhoods.

New training, new policies, getting new recruits is a generation long effort. I've heard directly from high ranking officers and local political leaders that that is what they are working for. I think supporting that, keeping pressure on them to keep to that is far more productive than just mocking them as powerpoint shows.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

trying to pass even more restrictive abortion measures will work really well for republicans

Do republicans have anything other than ban abortion, cut SS/Medicare, and woke?

because u know, what most people actually care about is the green M&M and Scooby Doo

FranchiseBlade and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

They also have that the 2020 election was stolen, children are being taught CRT and about LGBTQ, the border is being overrun, Biden is old and boring. Also that the justice system is being weaponized against them but we should back the Blue (except when they are protecting the US Capitol)

peleincubus, Xopher and Reeko like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

banning books seems incredibly fascist

it will eventually escalate to outright banning the teaching of selective parts of history...teaching about slavery is banned...Holocaust is banned

Andre0087, Xopher and astros123 like this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What? That's insanity. What are they afraid of? They're afraid of their own children. That's what they're afraid of.

I was encouraged to read by my parents, avid readers themselves. My mother and I made weekly trips to the local library, the Park Place library, to be exact, in southeast Houston. It didn't take long for me to read all the science fiction they had, while making a serious dent in the history selection and the mysteries, as well. Eventually, we started making periodic trips to the central library, Downtown. I was lucky when it came to my parents.

Back then, you could buy paperbacks for 35-40 cents. It's what I spent most of my allowance on. I still have a few. Some were "doubles." Two short novels or novellas, with a "front page" on each side. You just flipped them over. I have a couple of those, as well.

Hearing about this stuff turns my stomach.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eventually, you will have people taking the draconian measure of lists. We must take a stand, now.

Andre0087, Deckard and Reeko like this.
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Ban Shakespeare and E. e. Cummings.

To this day I never understood why they made me read plays and poems written by men who could not write in proper English or knew the proper rules of grammar. That too in an Advanced English class.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We should pledge allegiance to the AR-15?

FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

#6860 No Worries, Feb 8, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2023