1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Exactly why it's important that the rest of the country know who is turning the House into a clown show and has no interest at all in sincere governing.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Republicans are going to attempt to keep him from getting the nomination but @astros123 does have a good point that the way the primaries are set up for the GOP if he wins early he could lock it up like he did last time.

I took the bet largely as a fun way to support Clutchfans but I'm not certain that Trump won't be the nominee.

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The House GOP is not serious about governing and much of the Republican base has no interest in governing. This is all symbolism, "Virtue Signalling". It's not about whether these will actually become law or do anything other than messaging to the base.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm getting irked by the 'don't want to govern' messaging about the House Republicans. If Republicans also controlled the Senate or the Presidency, they might do some 'governing', but a party is pretty powerless holding only the House. The only thing you can do that would be perceived as 'serious governing' involves making concessions to the Democrats, which isn't electorally smart. They'll participate in some bipartisan stuff that is neither controversial nor newsworthy. But mostly, they'll be doing a lot of nothing because they only control one part of a 3-part system. Democrats want to repeat this 'not governing' idea to somehow put some pressure on Republicans to go along with what the President wants and the Senate passes. But it obviously isn't going to work, and might even make horse-trading harder. If Biden wants something for his agenda, he's going to have to give Republicans something in trade to buy the votes from the House. That's how our government is built. In the meantime, the headlines about what the House might pass are amusing, but aren't helpful.

DCkid likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

TBH, I have zero ideas. I just was playing around. I'm not a Trump-type voter so I have no idea what they are thinking. Maybe being stale and whiny is exactly what they love. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

When Democrats controlled only the House from 2019-2021 they got a fair amount done. Besides impeaching Trump twice, Pelosi was able to cut some deals with Trump and some Senate Republicans to get some things done.

If McCarthy was serious and not just concerned about holding spearkership he wouldn't be caving into Matt Gaetz or hugging MTG but would be lookign to work with some Moderate Dems and Senators like Manchin and Sinema to see if he could get some parts of the GOP agenda passed. Biden is willing to deal and even cross the aisle so he might actually find Biden willing to work on him on some things too. Obviously they're not going to get things like a national abortion ban or 30% Medicare cuts but he likely could find some success on things like tax reform and the growth of entitlements.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Nice

Origins of the Fair Tax
    Bruce Bartlett, a tax expert who worked in Ronald Reagan’s White House and worked for other Republicans, explained years ago how the proposal marketed today as the “Fair Tax” was initially pitched by an organization created by the Church of Scientology during its dispute with the IRS over whether it constituted a church and was thus tax-exempt. (The tax exemption for churches created by Congress puts the IRS, an agency focused on revenue collection, in the unenviable position of determining what is a church and what is, well, a cult.)

The Church of Scientology’s only goal in the matter was to eliminate the agency causing it trouble, and lost interest once the IRS threw in the towel and allowed it to present itself as a church.

But by then several politicians had bought into the idea and introduced it as legislation, which has been reintroduced in each Congress since as the Fair Tax.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. astros123

astros123 Member

Deal. I'll screenshot this.

Anyone else??? Tipjar 25 dollar bet?

JuanValdez likes this.
  9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Actually the near total concern of virtually all the Congress people of both parties that they will do whatever is necessary to keep their seat or even their post in Congress. I have some sympathy for say 55 pus year old engineers or other employees of oil companies or tobacco companies who know their firms are lying ad trying to stop the transition to clean energy or trying to addict kids to tobacco. They will be SOL if laid off. The Congress folks are very employable .

10. dmoneybangbang

Yep.... When the GOP controlled the 3 branches.... they lowered taxes and made the tax system far more complicated then they peed and went to bed....

Oh and they had no issue approving Trump's increased government spending.

The major problem is that Medicare and SSN costs are ballooning as the population ages and Boomers start cashing in their socialized retirement and healthcare. Will the GOP cut those entitlement programs?

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Actually their position is that the present system is pretty sweet from their perspective and especially that of the donors. Many contented moderates and libertarian espouse the benefits of divided government in which little can be passed. Gradually it leads to more and more crazy cultural "issues" in the country as problems cannot be addressed.

Rashmon likes this.
  12. astros123

astros123 Member

I think you forget trump refused to work with dems as long as they were investigating him. Trump had ZERO interest in governoring and didn't do **** **** in congress. He couldn't even pass a border wall funding bill and senate Republicans used him for tax cuts and promised him infrastructure. Its funny how people forget how utterly awful trump was politically as president.

He had zero interest in being president and just loved the frame.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sure, why not?

I think age and corruption charges will get in his way. Republican voters hate a loser, so he has to be the winningest loser to get by...

By 2024, 25 dollars will be enough to buy you a cup of coffee :D

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Trump said a lot of things but did pass criminal justice reform and the first CARES package with Democratic help. Most Senate Republicans knew that the Wall was never a serious issue which is why they didn't pass funding for it. Ironically Pelosi and Schumer offered Trump a deal on Wall funding for address DACA and Dreamers which members of the Republican caucus largely torpedoed.

15. astros123

astros123 Member

You folks are literally donating your money to clutch for free. You're giving GOP voters WAY too much credit.

69% of GOP voters think trump won the election and biden isn't legit
    72% of GOP voters think trump wasn't the loser in the midterms and they lost cuz of RINOs

GOP voters don't think trump is a loser !!! They don't live in reality and are absolutely brainwashed !!!!! You guys are giving MAGA too much credit. They are BRAINWASHED

@JuanValdez

I have 3 wagers on the gop nomination and I'll be messaging each of you three. If anyone else wants to bet 25 dollars or any amount I'm game!!!

Republican caucus didn't torpedo it but rather trump himself. And trump messed up the infrastructure himself. It had nothing to do with congress

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/5/22/18635824/trump-infrastructure-week-pelosi-schumer

You forgetting?

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes most members of elected government want to be elected again that doesn't mean that there aren't many who are willing to work to get stuff done. As noted in my post above Pelosi and Schumer were willing to work with Trump to get Dreamers and DACA addressed and did work with Trump on criminal justice reform. While working with Trump wasn't popular with the Democratic base they were willing to overlook that if it could accomplish other other goals.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. astros123

astros123 Member

John took a tough a vote on gun legislation and got ALOT of crap and boo and threatening voice-mail but still voted for it cuz he has a good relationship with biden and he liked the bill. Biden got mitch McConnell for God's sakes to vote for a deficit Infrastructure bill.

Republicans have gone out their way to support biden and take tough votes in senate cuz biden isn't an assh0le and he's actually well liked by his people. Relationship matter in life ALWAYS.

Rashmon and rocketsjudoka like this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As I said you might be right. A few things to consider though is that Trump is now a three time loser, it's four if you count losing the popular vote. Many Republicans know that and more importantly are speaking out about it. A few years ago many Republicans were literally willing to lay their lives down for Trump as in the insurection. You're seeing Trump being openly crossed now by people who had been his biggest supporters for instance Boebbert and Gaetz. Trump's disastrous NFT rollout was mocked by some of his biggest supporters in the media including Steve Bannon and OAN.

That's infrastructure and I agree Trump messed that up. The border wall deal was a different issue.
    https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/the-immigration-deal-trump-shouldve-taken-didnt-msna1174156
    "As we discussed at the time, the basic contours of the deal were straightforward: Schumer was willing to accept funding for a border wall in exchange for DACA protections for Dreamers.

After Trump negotiated the terms, the White House balked: Chief of Staff John Kelly called Schumer soon after to explain the plan wasn't far enough to the right for Republicans. Trump himself declared that he'd need far more in any deal, including significant cuts to legal immigration.
    As we discussed at the time, the basic contours of the deal were straightforward: Schumer was willing to accept funding for a border wall in exchange for DACA protections for Dreamers."

Now Trump could've pressed Republicans harder for it but the argument that Kelly put forward was that Senate Republicans weren't going to support it.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He's got brand appeal, but 'Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.' aren't multiple choice questions.

Besides, I doubt all these "independent" libertarian folks calling out senile Biden and "liberal corruption" will want to wear another **** eating grin defending fat boy for an entire election cycle.

I hope you're wrong, but there's no doubt media is salivating over the ratings bonanza if Voldemort comes back.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Forgive me, I'm old. But other than must-pass legislation like the CARES act, I can't remember anything big Democrats got in that time period. Here's a list of the acts passed, but it's tedious to look through all that to identify stuff that's "big" and a Democratic interest. And, I recognize that making an exception for "must-pass legislation" is a sneaky move, but Covid did rather dominate the conversation in the 116th Congress. To the broader point, you reaffirm what I said -- you can get some of your priorities, despite controlling only the House, by cutting deals. You're not going to cajole McCarthy into overpaying by saying he isn't willing to govern over and over. He just (finally) got the speakership so we'll have to wait a bit for deals to materialize. But they won't be coming from proposals from cranks in their rank and file. At some point, Biden will want something from McCarthy and then we'll hear what the trade offer is.

EDIT: Thanks for the callout, I'd forgotten criminal justice reform - though I'd call that more serendipity than Pelosi magic. But sure, she can have some credit.

Whichever way it turns out, @Clutch is getting 3 free cups of coffee in 2024!

Invisible Fan likes this.