1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Whether we want to face it or not, due to trumpism and the big lie, and the stoking of the fires of obstruction by republican leaders and 70% of their followers believing that the election was not legitimate, we are at the precipice of civil war. We are not quite there yet but with the actions of desantis, abbott, mcconnell, and a long list of traitors more loyal to their cult leader than to their country, we are getting closer to permanent destruction of our democracy. Most r's are either oblivious to this or really don't care. They favor altered election laws instead of putting trump in jail where he belongs. SMH. How did enough people in our country get this stupid forging this new reality we are now forced to live with?

Rashmon and deb4rockets like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's more ironic is that Stefanik is far less conservative than Cheney and voting record has been somewhat mixed.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/06/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage
    "For many Republicans, however, the calculation to boot Ms. Cheney, a strict conservative, in favor of Ms. Stefanik, who has a far more moderate voting record but has wholeheartedly embraced Mr. Trump, is more complicated."

ROCKSS likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

She changed...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/07/politics/kfile-elise-stefanik-trump-comments/index.html

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ROCKSS likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So I see what some are angling for.

Cruz wants to be leader of the Senate and many House members want to be speaker of the house.

I think they will end up destroying themselves with factions.

dobro1229 and deb4rockets like this.
  6. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Voter suppression bills in the middle of the night based on the bullshit of their reality tv host leader.

the state of the Republican Party. A danger to democracy.

deb4rockets and VooDooPope like this.
  7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

A) I was not speaking of any application of law.
    B) Why would being a prosecutor preclude someone from being a free speech advocate?

8. NewRoxFan

What free speech was taken away?
    Are there limits to "free speech"?
    Aren't you the person arguing that protestors should be limited to sidewalks and not allowed on public streets?

subtomic likes this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

More than anything too it’s about tapping into that Trump donor fund. Just look at what MTG hauled in just in a month by simply being a troll. They feel that it’s essential to fund their campaigns at this point and that’s the sole reason Trump was able to quickly get the GOP back in line and back on brand within hours after the insurrection.

Cruz and The new lady are smart enough to know that if Trump is running again ... which he is almost surely imo ... they cannot run against him for president so they are all playing the long game that at some point he’ll die or get arrested or something and magically his base will stay with them.

I don’t think they are necessarily wrong either. If you meet people like my mom it’s clear this is their brand and identity. Trump just gave them the confidence to be who they’ve always wanted to be and allowed a Vision of post democracy authoritarianism in America.

I also think the party is going to get worse and more brazenly anti-Democratic. You might disagree with me put im fully convinced that if Trump was not running , MTG actually would win against Cruz, Hawley, etc in the presidential primaries fairly easily. When people like her continue to get success and raise money it’s just going to ratchet up how much more crazy people like Cruz and Lindsay Graham feel they need to be in order to keep relevant.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't know about MTG she does not have much personality and she is a woman, which knocks her down a peg in that world.

I think Hawley and Desantis are frontrunners but Hawley has a bit too much eddie Haskel in him to get mass appeal.

I think its gonna be really close and nobody is gonna be able to solidify the party after the primary.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah if you ask people like my mom who they know it's all about who goes viral on facebook which is why I think Hawley will struggle in the primary. Nobody really knows the guy. That's why I say someone like MTG that can go viral would stomp guys like Hawley or Cotton. Alot of these people... especially those who know better that went to Harvard, etc.... have no shot in hell.

The nomination though is still Trump and will always be Trump as long as he's breathing. So alot of this palace intrigue is sort of a waste of time. But either way it's clear that if any of them win back power between 22 and 24, this experiment is pretty much overwith. Even if Trump goes away one way or another, and someone like Cruz wins, even Cruz won't be able to control the base of his party if he wants to fall back in line with the constitution, and Democracy. The cats out of the bag, and this party will never be able to reverse course. They have to lose, and lose bad for many many more election cycles to be reformed as a legitimate Republican party (small "r" Republic).

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Margorie Taylor Greene is a joke really.

4,300 people live in Rockmart. I see about 43 people there. I guess 99% of the town had better things to do than listen to her speak her BS, and this was in Georgia.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

https://apnews.com/article/az-state...ty-education-1e3b8785418c50c4104698b9d8676c38

Arizona bill banning ‘biased’ topics in schools advances

PHOENIX (AP) — The Arizona House of Representatives has advanced a bill with a last-minute amendment that would ban racist, sexist, politicized or other controversial topics in schools and penalize teachers with fines.

Republican state Rep. Michelle Udall, who introduced the amendment Wednesday, said the newly amended bill is intended to ensure students are not taught that their race,
    ethnicity or sex determines their character.

Charter schools and state agencies would be prohibited under the Unbiased Teaching Act from discussing controversial issues in schools unless teachers give equal weight to divisive topics. Violations would result in $5,000 fines.

#GOPwoke

#553 Phillyrocket, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
  14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The AZ GOP is really an example of why the GOP is probably beyond redemption at this point. They're clinging to a two seat majority in the State House and Senate and lost five statewide elections between 2018 and 2020. You would think that a party would reflect on these losses and would consider focusing on real things (school funding, covid, etc..) but instead the AZ GOP is conducting "election audits" and doubling down on culture war legislation.

And the AZ GOP can't even count on gerrymandering. Arizona's districts are drawn by a non-partisan commission so this will just further cement their decline in the state. The VA GOP is in the middle of the same self-destruction. Republicans from swing states are doubling down on all of the same strategies despite the fact that those states are trending the opposite direction.

Rashmon likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

Don't have to go as far as Arizona...

Texas educators alarmed by bills targeting class discussions on racism and sexism
    https://www.statesman.com/story/new...teaching-racism-sexism-discussion/4943995001/

Rashmon likes this.
  16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Posting on twitter, facebook, instagram, or some other platform, I presume, given her statements about Big Tech.
    Depends on who you ask. A free speech absolutist would say no. I would say you actual criminal fraud should fall outside of the free speech one should fight for. Everyone gets to determine for themselves what limits they would support or oppose with regard to speech.
    I said you don't need to worry about getting hit by a car if you are on the sidewalk (or at least need to worry much less). I don't support blocking other people's rights in your exercise of your rights, generally speaking. I don't know if I would go so far as to say I am for an absolute limit of protesters on public streets. Certainly a permitted rally that has applied for a street closure should be allowed, the same as a parade or something of that sort. The street is where the cars go though, so if you are on an open street blocking traffic and someone puts the driver in danger, I don't oppose a law that allows them to run you over.[/quote]

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's the natural progression for a party bereft of ideas to solve actual every-day problems in peoples' lives.

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This might be a dumb question, but what about these laws that grant immunity to motorists who hit protestors with their car prevents violent actors from ramming their car into a crowd of people they don't like and maintaining plausible deniability that they were just trying to get somewhere? I generally agree that aggressive in-the-street protests by BLM are politically stupid and an awful way to win anyone over to your cause, but I can also see a crack in the door for political violence under the cover of the law with these new measures.

19. NewRoxFan

[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of social platforms available to post to. So plenty of available avenues to express hate speech and false statements. I believe that's the beauty of free enterprise... lots of options, lots of alternatives. Twitter.com doesn't want it in their business, then there is always parler. Isn't that the argument that wedding cake makers pose when they discriminate against same sex couples?

So, a free speech "absolutist" would argue that yelling "Fire!" in a crowded movie house should be permitted because... "free speech should always be free"? If not, once you allow someone to decide there are limits... well, there are limits. And a private business can set their limits.

And someone driving a car can target protestors on the sidewalk. Which happens. The rest of your argument is simply an effort to cover your desire to limit free speech of those you don't agree with. You take your anti-free speech (from those you disagree) to such an extreme you favor drivers running down protestors.

deb4rockets likes this.
  20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

So Republicans are against private companies setting their own guidelines on what’s appropriate but support government restrictions on free speech like in schools where teachers can no longer have open discussions on race or other sensitive topics?

Has the world gone topsy turvy? Where have all the private businesses can regulate themselves and government’s role is to protect freedoms not limit them GOP gone?

Why don’t conservatives just come out and say we want freedoms but only when we like what is being said, or protested about, etc.