1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It's actually not apples and oranges. It's an essential public service. The fact that people that think if education is suddenly another "choice" service and that children will be at the level or greater than China, India, etc. are at is pretty hilarious.

Just like with policing, and firefighting, that service, if privatized would not be economical if the public doesn't have a large enough pool to elevate quality. Like with insurance pooling, the larger the pool, the less variance there is, and the greater equity & stability everyone gets year over year. There's an argument on health insurance of course, but NOT much argument on policing, firefighting, utilities, THE MILITARY, and yes.... public education.

Maybe I am an idiot like @King1 immaturely states I am, but I definitely know alot of teachers. My wife being one as I've stated here multiple times. Yes, our education system especially here in Texas is falling off, but you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. You improve the system. Things like getting rid or improving the STAAR testing would make a hell of a difference. The issues with teacher quality in my experience is more to do with burnout than anything. They get sick and tired of constantly being crapped on by parents, and the school districts need to have more money to invest in conduct specific staff where they can focus on teaching more, and less on dealing with kids conduct issues.

You can believe whatever you want, but I won't sit by here and let someone spout the whole "voucher" BS. Its an obvious attempt to test out an extremist ideology, and sell it as normalized capitalism. The voucher system would be a catastrophe, and would be yet ANOTHER method of the far right extremists forcing their ideology on everyone us. So I'll say it again... if you don't like public schools... don't put your kid in one, and put them in a private school. You do have a choice, but you don't have to force feed your ideology of a right wing Ayan Rand utopia down our throats. Conduct your Ayan Rand experiment on your own dime.

dmoneybangbang and Rileydog like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll gently push back on these voucher comments. I understand the criticism, I appreciate public schools, but vouchers in many contexts make sense. And the biggest proponents of vouchers for the past 20-30 years have been inner city blacks and ethnic minorities. So I think with careful design, vouchers can make a lot of sense as a response to structural inequalities in education.

3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

People don't take you seriously or sincere when you start off a conversation with the most right winged conspiracy theories as fact when anyone with a pulse knows that's simply not true BUT it does fit your narrative, so you say its been proven that Fauci lied and profited off Covid, do you believe in space lasers also? Did Fauci and the CDC have to pivot several times, yes they did, the strain was like no other and just like anything uncommon to science you may have to change your thinking, its not always black and white.............but you would take that as a lie or incompetency? I get it, your a fox variety show enthusiast so that's what you have been fed for the past few years. Fauci served the US for many decades and should be heralded but also held to accountability and I think he did the best with what he had to work with, mainly a boss who wanted to try his own form of eradicating the disease by....what was that again, injecting windex or bleach into your body??

4. dobro1229

It would be like pulling all 20 to 35 year olds out of a health insurance pool if we did it the way that Texas Republicans would do it. If you had people who make the most money or have the most expensive properties (property taxes is obviously how we fund most of the local public education) in every community pulling their tax dollars out of the local school district, you'd have the system fall apart, and those who pay the least amount of taxes with the least amount of tax dollars to afford a decent school.

Now if the state creates a system to provide equitable dollars for every child (I think DC has a system like this) then the state is going to have to DRAMATICALLY increase it's budget to go towards schools to offset the tax dollars pulled from public schools, and that system is basically another system of welfare funding, and you'd have the right really upset about yet another increase in spending on social welfare.

There's also no indication that going the voucher route has an improvement in test scores.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/...-and-test-scores-and-they-are-still-negative/

So I think we are looking at two things that are separate conversations:

-How to improve education (has nothing to do with funding systems, and everything to do with the in-class education)
    -Ideology - (I want full control of my money/screw everyone else)

If we can separate those two topics, I think people will agree more on solutions that actually make sense. My goal here is to drop the Ayan Rand fever dream out of the discussion first, and actually talk about the things that do matter like districting, STAAR testing, TRA, etc. Texas under the current leadership rolling out a voucher system would mirror that of what happened with abortion rights where you have the extremists just forcing their ideology on everyone overnight, and we are left with this chaos. There's ALOT of ways Texas can improve it's education system without going full blown extremist overnight like the Republicans here are trying to do.

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

and now apparently we have the religious right putting “In God We Trust” signs across public schools. I’m kind of glad really because this kind of overreach will piss people off and perhaps help people see they better vote.

jiggyfly and dobro1229 like this.
  6. Rileydog

Im not a teacher. I’m a lawyer who respects and values teachers. Are you really this stupid that you can’t see the difference between health care professionals and teachers?

Pray tell, in what way did construction workers deal with Covid in a way that is remotely similar to teachers having to be in close quarters, indoors, with 25-30 kids for hours at a time?

Pray tell - did the teachers stop teaching the 3Rs? Of course not. Did they teach CRT somewhere? Pray tell, show me the horror. Of course you can’t. It’s a boogey man.

“worked well for decades” …. See, Now I think we are onto something. You’d rather things be like they were in the 70’s and 80’s, maybe 60’s right? Where society was less black, less brown, less Asian, less gay? Where schools just taught Americana, apple pie, Davy Crockett, Sam Houston, William Barrett Travis?

Our founding fathers bravely fought the British and won independence! Do we really have to talk about the fact that the Constitution counted black people as 3/5th a person? Why do we have to talk about how Native Americans were slaughtered?

Sure the civil war happened, but do we really have to talk about slavery (whisper it) for more than 12 seconds? Jim Crow? Civil rights era? Ugh, what if they learn that discrimination still exists today? Think of the children!!!

I know this is a lot, so don’t forget to show us where CRT is being taught. If you know what CRT is.

7. dobro1229

Yep. That political dark money group disguised as a Texas business has been outed now thanks to good journalism. I wish that story would be bigger news because it's very important.

The issue here in Texas with school board elections is these groups have access to Texas voter data, and they seek out Republican voters to tell them when school board elections are, and the elections are run by Republicans so if you are not a Democratic voter or an independent, you have no idea when these elections are taking place unless you know a teacher who tells you to go vote. Most people just simply have no idea when school board elections are which is a huge problem.

On a separate but related point, Yang's Forward Party says they are focused on targeting these areas of the country that Dems don't organize in. If they really were serious about making an impact, one way would be simply doing local school board election notifications to Democrats, and Independents along with Republicans where they can give a quick message about why REPUBLICANS should go vote for a Forward party candidate. What a huge value add that would be to our country, and especially Texas. Of course it goes without saying the Democratic Party is failing here at the local level, but that's another point.

8. raining threes

Being a lawyer says all that needs to be said.

Are you saying people of color are what's causing the decline in education. If so you basically are saying people of color aren't capable of learning the 3 R's at an acceptable level anymore. I disagree with this train of thought and frankly consider this racist. What happened to the days of if you couldn't read/write/do math you failed and had to repeat that grade.

#3628 raining threes, Aug 19, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  9. raining threes

School board elections have to be posted on the ISD website as well as signs on every corner in every town I've ever lived in. Are you saying Democrat voters are to stupid to figure out when election day is? I disagree with this, but if they are they don't need to be voting anyway because the educational system hasn't taught them how to read or they don't care.

10. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

The point of education should not be socialization, and certainly not indoctrination. Beyond learning the basics it should be about teaching people to think for themselves.

whag00 and raining threes like this.
  11. raining threes

So giving taxpayers options in how/where to educate their children is a bad thing. It doesn't have to do with ideology it has to do with having the opportunity to provide children with better education than they are currently getting.

12. raining threes

On this I agree.

Getting back to the 3 R's.

whag00 likes this.
  13. Rileydog

you are funny, but sure I’ll play.

yes, I’m a lawyer. That means I got an undergrad degree, read and write at an exceptional level, am smart and hard working enough to have gotten into a top 15 law school in this country, excelled in law school, then worked for top law firms in Houston who only hire the best and brightest. Im also a product of public school, worked and paid for my own college and law school expenses. So I know a thing or two about a thing or two.

to the nonsense that you just posted, are you the product of a failed education system bc it seems you have trouble reading. Try again, as nowhere did I suggest people of color are why the people education system is failing or can’t learn at an acceptable level.

Still waiting for you to explain where CRT is being taught.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If that were the case, sports in schools wouldn't be a multibillion dollar industry.

For many of these deplor rejects, highschool sports is the pinnacle of their lives.

Priorities right?

Andre0087 likes this.
  15. raining threes

No, I'm just suggesting you have no soul.

That's exactly what you brought into the discussion when you brought the their are more brown/black people in this country than in the 70/80's. You're basically blaming the decline on the education system on this. I'm not talking about CRT/Sex ed teaching to children with you. What I'm telling you is that school systems have gotten away from emphasizing the 3 R's.

BTW, the country becoming more brown is by design by the globalists from both parties. The Bush clan was actually the worst. Biden is trying to take the mantle from them. This is the reason another Bush will never be POTUS again.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lol a large portion of grade school education is absolutely socialization. Wtf are you talking about dude? In fact one of the main reasons people who disagreed with the school closures during covid was the lack of socialization for young kids and losing out on that practicing of socialization skills.

Also what do you mean by indoctrination? Like your US Texas History course leaving our small tidbits like how Mexico banned slavery well before Texas and Mexico clashed which means they actually might have had the moral high ground which would make us have a non hero worshiping outlook on people like James Bowie?

Those history courses in grade school seemed more like folk lore courses that created hero worshiping cults of people like Bowie.

Is that the indoctrination you are talking about?

17. fchowd0311

Lol sorry about that dude. I'm a small part of that problem as I added to the brown population in your beautiful white country. Sorry about that.

Zboy likes this.
  18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Does one of the Rs stand for risibility?

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. Rileydog

I would think everyone agrees with this conceptually. The devil is in the details. I don’t know your views or beliefs, so I’m curious…

would you consider the following subjects to be “education” or “socialization/indoctrination”? I would open up this question to anyone who would like to discuss.

- the factual backdrop of why the civil war was fought and the importance of slavery to the South

- why the founding fathers included the 3/5th language in the constitution.

- Jim Crow and civil rights movement, why it was necessary, and facts about how some Americans opposed integration and equality

- factual details surrounding killing of native Americans and Japanese internment camps

- facts regarding the holocaust and the fact that it actually occurred

- the definition of discrimination and racism

- empirical data on the educational experiences of different races and socioeconomic classes

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

I can tell by the way he typed that comment he probably didn't put much thought into it.

Just no indoctrination okay? None of that stuff and no socialization. We can't have that going on in our schools.