1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol, what?

CPAc was, like most mainstream GOP gatherings and most GOP candidates - literally filled to the brim with people on stage and off pushing the Big Lie about the 2020 election and who believe that 1-6 was just an ordinary protest and celebrating the failed coup (as well as promising the next one)

Im not as deep into MAGA culture as you but "no really it's just a sarcastic meme!" despite your MAGA bona fides is simply not credible.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I get it not all people at CPAC were at Jan. 6. Probably very few were there. I also agree the vast majority of Conservatives aren’t violent and are law abiding. I have a hard time though expressing sympathy for them feeling like they are being generalized and stereotyped when so much of their rhetoric is to paint Democrats, Liberals, and Progressives as being anti-American and pedophile groomers. Who continue to claim that all those who support BLM are violent looters.

For that matter painting fellow Conservatives who don’t tow the line regarding the last election was stolen or the culpability of Trump as anti-Americans traitors too.

Also my advice to CPAC and others if is you don’t like being called racist or violent then you probably shouldn’t be inviting a speaker who literally spoke against race mixing and protecting the purity of his race or celebrating people who were battling Capitol LEO.

3. SamFisher

Vast majority

A survey released Thursday by the conservative American Enterprise Institute (AEI) found that the vast majority of Republicans not only don’t think Joe Biden was legitimately elected, nearly 40 percent of them think political violence is justifiable and could be necessary.
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics...blicans-conservatives-political-violence.html

Newlin, No Worries and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I think the vast majority of domestic terrorists didn't participate in the riot on January 6, 2021. I also don't think CPAC was associating themselves with people who burn down car dealerships, blow up abortion clinics, put things in trees to destroy chainsaws or any of hundreds of other terrorist acts. It seems far more likely they are talking about people who are falsely labelled domestic terrorists.
    Since the FBI doesn't deny the document that was released by Project Veritas is an authentic document, I have no reason to believe it is not genuine.
    If you think the banner is an actual declaration that they are actual terrorists, I don't think we can have a rational discussion. You seem to be living in a different parallel reality than I am, where there are millions of terrorists living in the United States.
    Oh, I do. Mostly that results in me believing people aren't very smart.

5. SamFisher

Totally rational discussion of totally non Jan 6 non terrorists

The line to see Straka in the cage stretched all the way to the back of the exhibit hall at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas. His performance came after he participated in a panel alongside Kash Patel, a former Department of Defense staffer whose text messages were wiped around Jan. 6 (and now author of a children’s book about Trump), and Arizona Rep. Andy Biggs. In that panel, Straka berated Biggs, along with the rest of the GOP, for not doing enough to help Jan. 6 defendants. Members of the audience got riled and started booing and heckling Biggs. (Biggs, in an apparent bid to improve his standing with the crowd, called to defund the Justice Department and the FBI.) ​

quikkag and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It the Rs trying to create a Big Tent, by inviting White Nationalists, KKK, Neo Nazis, Oath Keepers, Proud Boys, et al.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What

in

the

entire

f***?

How is this not a cult again? It's definitely not all republicans as there are some sane ones. But this stuff at CPAC is cult like activities and actions. If you have even the slightest thought that there's nothing wrong here, you are IN A CULT AND YOU NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY.

Newlin and quikkag like this.
  8. SamFisher

I don't know, but according to @StupidMoniker this is all very normal political stuff related to the project Veritas whiners - not at all related to Jan 6 or cults or anything like that, because CPAC would never do that!

deb4rockets, DaDakota and quikkag like this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you were familiar with Project Veritas, the history, editing techniques and refusal to provide original copies of anything, you would have a lot of reasons to believe it wasn't genuine.

quikkag likes this.
  10. StupidMoniker

Actually, I said it also included January 6, just that it was not the only thing covered. That doesn't fit your narrative though. This is the danger of overusing alarmist language, it waters down the meaning. Domestic terrorists used to be people like Timothy McVeigh. Now it is people like Matt Walsh.
    I am familiar with Project Veritas. The times they are accused of deceptive editing and the like, the people they are covering deny the story (also, it generally turns out to be partially true). The FBI has not said anything (as far as I know, and Wray was testifying about it in the Senate, so it would have been a great opportunity to say, "Hey, that is a fake document.").

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know one way or the other about the document with certainty. It is also possible the document is real but the circumstances surrounding it are different. The context could have been changed. It may also be that the FBI doesn't want to comment on it one way or the other since Comey's comments caused such a stir.

But just given the source and the fact that Veritas will not share unedited information is troublesome.

12. SamFisher

ah i see, so now you have pivoted to " it includes solidarity with the 1-6 terrorists AND a bunch of randos from the alt right extended universe not yet directly implicated in the 1-6 terror attacks (though they probably have been, not really care enough to check)

Well, that certainly makes it much better.

Used to be that people like Liz Cheney were the ones who led the party away from the McVeigh's and the MTGs, now Matt Walsh (whoever that is) has led the party towards the 1-6 terror movement and the Roys and the Boeberts and the Hawleys etc and force out the Cheneys.

But, i guess you stayed.

13. StupidMoniker

I didn't pivot at all. I said the CPAC banner was not claiming that all the people attending CPAC were terrorists, it was making fun of the people that call everything they don't like domestic terrorism, including but not limited to attending school board meetings, etc. It has nothing to do with the alt-right (is that even a thing anymore), people "not yet" implicated in the January 6 "terror attacks", or whatever fantasy you have of Nazis taking over America. It is literally some edgelord trying to "trigger the libs". Apparently, it worked.
    The fact that you group Marjorie Taylor Green with Timothy McVeigh kind of makes the point.
    Matt Walsh is a troll on the Daily Wire who made the movie "What is a Woman?" and wrote the children's book, Johnny the Walrus.
    I'm guessing the GOP and CPAC don't like Cheney because she is reducing their chances of winning. I can't speak for them though. Maybe they really are mad that she has exposed their super secret plan to resurrect Hitler.
    I left the GOP over a decade ago. To me they are all talk on important issues, but mostly just Democrats with tax cuts. They don't want to make the important substantive changes to return us to Constitutionally sound republican governance.

14. Agent94

Agent94 Member

What is the difference in MTG and McVeigh's ideologies?

Christian Nationalist - check
    Supports the militia movement - check
    Anti federal government - check
    Homophobic - check
    Racist - probably

#3314 Agent94, Aug 9, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    VooDooPope and jiggyfly like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That still isn’t a majority but it is disturbing.

16. SamFisher

Vastly.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

To note Brandon Straka berating others for not helping Jan. 6th defendant’s is particularly rich considering he’s not in jail because he cooperated with authorities to turn in and convict other Jan. 6 suspects.

For all the talk that MAGA works has about traitors to their cause this guy literally turned against MAGA when it came it doing actual jail time.

VooDooPope, jiggyfly and SamFisher like this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I’ve noticed several posters who say they don’t like Trump or the current GOP yet still go to great lengths to defend him and to downplay the actions of him and his supporters.

I believe you that you are a Constitutional Conservative and I can believe you that you didn’t vote for Trump. What I don’t know is that if you feel you have to defend and downplay Trump and his followers because you’re devils advocate or because you reflexively have to oppose those who you don’t agree with ideologically.

As Liz Cheney who is on almost every other issue is the enemy of progressives has eloquently stated Trump and his movement is a threat to Constitutional
    conservative principles. He’s a threat to the separation of powers, he’s a threat to federalism. He’s a threat to limited government interference in the market.

VooDooPope and jiggyfly like this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

AzaOe
    irs really not hard to just tell the truth.

I don’t consider myself a democrat, but I will always vote for them as long as the republicans keep going to this rabbit hole of stupidity at the top.

20. SamFisher

The fact that you're morally offended by this linkage and maintain some sort of artificial line btw the 1/6 bombers/terrorists and the 1990s version makes the point better than i ever could

* (note, MTG probably would say McV was an antifa crisis actor, as that appears to be her official line on the 1-6 terrorists as well)

Sure chief, that's why you spent the last 24 hours constructing fake explanations to defend the sanctity of.....CPAC chyrons

"I didn't leave GOP, the GOP left me when they refused to abolish the Postal Service in clear violation of my rights under Maritime Law.... ....
    meanwhile here's a bunch of multipart posts in support of every single MAGA person and policy that is ever mentioned (1/654) - @StupidMoniker from 2016 to present.

TheFreak and VooDooPope like this.