1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the democratic party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 27, 2021.

1. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really disagree with you, but there are a lot of desperate people who are having to ration insulin just to stay alive. So one could make a legit argument that price controls on insulin is a life or death matter, and that we can't allow a procedural hurdle stop us from doing the right thing as soon as possible.

But you're right - as imperfect as this bill is (especially the removal of the carried interest elimination), it's a good thing for the country as a whole and the Democrat party politically.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Yes, we should be reducing taxes, not increasing them.
    The government has no business investing in businesses. I don't know how you can be against corporate welfare and for this. This is literally corporate welfare.
    The government has no business being involved in health care at all. Certainly price caps are never a good idea.
    I couldn't care less what is popular.
    Free market economics is what I want. No interference from the state except for the extremely limited purpose of protecting peoples' rights.
    Absolutely not. Get the government out of business matters. The only money the government should be sending out is paychecks for the very limited roles the federal government is supposed to play (military, legislators, judges, postal service, etc.). No corporate welfare for health care, green energy, oil, computers, or anything else.
    Nope, pro-freedom.
    Unleash US businesses to do as they do best. We have the most powerful industrial machine in the world, there is no reason the US will be last in any business unless the government gets in the way.
    Just free markets with open competition.
    The title is the less important part, but it would be nice not to pretend a bill does one thing when it really does something totally different.
    I'm not running for office, I don't need to sell anything.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Both DEM and REP have put up very partisan bills with no chance of passing just to get politicians on the record.

I don't think that's the case here. Both sides have said insulin cost is too high. Both sides have said they want to deal with this. I wasn't sure how true that was. We came 3 votes shorts. 57-43. 7 REP voted for this. So a number of Republicans were definitely part of the side that wanted to solve this. I appreciate knowing that now. It's within striking distance. If enough voters flip the Senate side to those that are willing to vote for the insulin cap, it has a great chance of passing in 2023. Huge uphill battle though because big pharma is going to spend millions now to make sure that doesn't happen.

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Kudos to you for engaging in a traditional policy discussion. That is in short supply among the republicans here. I was going to say “conservatives”, but I don’t think the traditional definition of conservative fits the deplorable running around here.

I’m not familiar enough with your posting history to know if this is an aberration or not, but the policy discussion is welcome and sorely needed, so kudos to you.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

6. Salvy

Salvy Member

Lol, Beto can gtfo......

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You were saying?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Diverse crowd

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. Salvy

Salvy Member

Gaining so much momentum? LMAO... There are only so much woke blue haired libs in Texas...

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

This is a diverse crowd....

[​IMG]

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

That’s the crowd of protesters?

12. Salvy

Salvy Member

And this is true momentum....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Salvy

Salvy Member

Nope, just a crowd of diverse America loving people...

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

LOL.

16. Salvy

Salvy Member

Got any news on Latinos for Trump? Or women for Trump?
    [​IMG]

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. Like Trump told women at one of his rallies, "We're getting your husband's back to work"

Do you believe staged photo ops are representative of the population in general?

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You are in a cult. Please seek help.

FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If Kansas can overturn the abortion bill in that state Beto might have a chance in Texas, just wish he was not so insufferable and tone down his Bernie lite shtick.

20. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Lots of California and New Yorkers in Texas now... Texas is getting purple every month....

T_Man

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.