1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the democratic party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 27, 2021.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know folks claim to hate the cartoons you post but sometimes they are spot on

Gioan Baotixita and MojoMan like this.
  3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Some folks claim to hate the cartoons I post BECAUSE they are spot on.

Gioan Baotixita and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. Gioan Baotixita

This is so true. What the hell happened to you classical liberals?

MojoMan likes this.
  5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

The irony here is that this particular "cartoon" more readily depicts the old "hippie" boomers who went MAGA in their old age.

Kind of like some of the boomer posters here who used to be moderate Democrats.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Question.

Would a classical liberal be for or against a private entity expressing their private property rights by denying someone entry into said private property without a mask or vaccine?

Would a classical liberal be for or against private corporations dictating whom is allowed on their privately owned servers?

The party of "classical liberalism" aka libertarians or the GOP have abononed all notion of the free market and allowing the markets to go with the wind on social issues. As soon as the market sides with social issues against conservativism, those who claim to be classical liberals abandon the core premise of classical liberalism and turn fascist demanding that the state fight those natural cultural changes in the market.

When the market favored conservative social stances such as in the 50s and 60s, they were all about that "classical liberalism" because it was convenient.

7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

For the right to do so. I wouldn't say classical liberalism has a particular take on masking and vaccines, per se.
    For their right to do so, against the practice of doing so.
    Some do, some don't.
    Some people do what is expedient, regardless of their claimed stance. Some people hold to their principals, regardless of their claimed stance. Some people prioritize principals and expediency differently based on their perception of the importance of an issue or how it may affect them individually. That is the variety of humanity. I wouldn't say libertarians/classical liberals are any more or less prone to hypocrisy than those who profess any other ideology.

King1 likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

Yes some people...

So I'm basing my claims on the predominant thought and the leaders such as Trump who get voted in. Obviously not every single conservative had the exact same values.

But we are speaking for consensus, a movement popular enough to elect a president that exemplifies said movement.

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I wouldn't view Trump as a libertarian or a classical liberal. I wouldn't say he has any real convictions beyond his own self-interest, and he appealed primarily to right wing populists. No libertarian would have supported the bump stock ban, for example. Libertarians are not generally in favor of tariffs. Libertarians are almost invariably against tax increases, and he eliminated the deduction of state taxes. Trump really seems to appeal to more Conservatives and NeoCons than libertarians. Conservatives are not libertarians.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

I know what the ideal libertarian would believe even though I disagree with them on many economic issues.

But from my experience anecdotally, the ones who call themselves classical liberals the most are the ones who are the most addicted to that Trump cult. Now maybe I have a skewed anecdotal view due to my experience.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol at hippies being classical liberals

and lol at the current dem party being hippies

The country voted for Biden, not Marianne Williamson

Andre0087 and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. TheresTheDagger

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not sure why this go in this thread. They believe the government is hiding info showing the Saudi was responsible for the attack. Maybe this would fit more into a “the state of the American parties”

“Since the conclusion of the 9/11Commission in 2004 much investigative evidence has been uncovered implicating Saudi government officials in supporting the attacks" the families' statement explains. "Through multiple administrations, the Department of Justice and the FBI have actively sought to keep this information secret and prevent the American people from learning the full truth about the 9/11attacks."

"As we approach the 20th anniversary of 9/11, and having been used as a political bargaining chip for two decades, our patience has expired," the 9/11 community's letter explains. "We had great hope that President Biden, who campaigned on bringing truth and trust back to the Oval Office, would value the lives and sacrifices of America's citizens over diplomatic relations with a country accused of mass murder."

And the 9/11 families have receipts: "Biden the campaigner, in an October 2020 letter, promised the 9/11 community that, if elected president, 'I intend to be a President for all Americans, and will hear all of their voices. The 9/11 Families are right to seek full truth and accountability...I will direct my Attorney General to personally examine the merits of all cases where the invocation of privilege is recommended, and to err on the side of disclosure in cases where, as here, the events in question occurred two decades or longer ago.'"

14. TheresTheDagger

The current Democrat President is not welcome at the 20th anniversary ceremonies of 9/11 by 1800+ Americans most impacted by the event and you don't think this reflects on the current status of the Democrat party? Especially in the wake of the events of the past month?

Here. Let those people speak for themselves.

"However, we cannot in good faith, and with veneration to those lost, sick, and injured, welcome the president to our hallowed grounds until he fulfills his commitment."

"It is our deep hope that President Biden promptly upholds in meaningful ways his campaign promise to us"

Astrodome likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No, because that group has been dissatisfied for 20 years, spanning multiple presidents.

If you are talking about ending the war, since they do not refer to it in their statement I have no idea how they feel about it other than I’m sure they are satisfied that Bin Laden has been killed. They might as likely has been thinking that extended war has been a major distraction away from the real culprit - the Saudi.

“If President Biden reneges on his commitment and sides with the Saudi government, we would be compelled to publicly stand in objection to any participation by his administration in any memorial ceremony of 9/11, given its continuation of polices[sic] that thwart Americans’ rights to hold accountable those who, known evidence reveals, materially supported the 9/11 hijackers," the letter adds.

"It is our deep hope that President Biden promptly upholds in meaningful ways his campaign promise to us and then stands by our side at the 9/11 Memorial in New York City on 9/11/21, where we can together honor those who died and were injured – armed with the truth that it has taken 20 years too long to receive.”

Their ask:
    “Implement a policy toward the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia that makes clear it must acknowledge its role in terrorist attacks against our citizens and residents, which in the last 20 years include not just 9/11 but the horrific murder of Jamal Khashoggi, and the murder of U.S. service members in Pensacola, Florida; and, accordingly, immediately cease the Kingdom’s support for acts of terrorism.”

16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

That's like citizens on the border saying Trump isn't welcomed until he fulfills his commitment that Mexico pays for the wall. He's the President of the United States and can go where he wants.

So much partisan bickering over nonsense, no wonder China is expected to take the economic edge in the coming years. We can't agree that the sky is blue...

ROCKSS and Deckard like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

As @TheresTheDagger brought up 911 here…

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/03/9-11-documents-declassification-509468

President Joe Biden signed an executive order on Friday directing the Department of Justice and other government agencies to review documents related to the FBI’s 9/11 investigations for potential declassification — fulfilling a campaign promise just days before the 20th anniversary of the terrorist attacks.

Biden’s order requires Attorney General Merrick Garland to release the declassified documents publicly over the next six months.

The president’s executive order came after nearly 1,800 Americans directly affected by the attacks issued a statement last week, opposing Biden’s participation in any memorial events this year unless he upholds his pledge to declassify the documents, evidence they believe may show a connection between Saudi Arabian leaders and the events.

“My heart continues to be with the 9/11families who are suffering, and my Administration will continue to engage respectfully with members of this community," Biden said. “I welcome their voices and insight as we chart a way forward.”

ROCKSS, Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

20. TheresTheDagger