1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Star Wars Kid is back and he is going to be a lawyer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 3, 2010.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Talking about Internet bullies...

The Star Wars Kid Is Back and He’s Going to Be a Lawyer

[​IMG]

It was eight years ago that Ghyslain Raza slashed his way into our hearts with his Star Wars Kid video. Sadly, Raza suffered from severe bullying and abuse for his video and eventually ended up in a psychiatric ward for children. However, his video was seen 1 billion times and multiple thousands of geeks came immediately to his defense. While those must have been the worst years of his life, things are now looking up.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HPPj6viIBmU&hl=de_DE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HPPj6viIBmU&hl=de_DE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

He and his family sued the kids who leaked the video for $250,000, settled, and that seemed to be the end of it. Now, however, Ghyslain just became the president of the Patrimoine Trois-Rivières, a heritage society dedicated to conserving his hometown in Quebec. He’s also working on law degree at McGill in Montreal.

I can’t imagine what the younger Ghyslain went through but I’m sure most of us felt the effects of bullying in our younger years. It’s great to see the Star Wars Kid take the traditional path of the bullied – a few years of torture for being different and then a lifetime of success for that selfsame difference. My bully, incidentally, works at a Kroger grocery store in Ohio, if LinkedIn is to be believed.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/06/03/the-star-wars-kid-is-back-and-hes-going-to-be-a-lawyer/

2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

That's awesome.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Pretty soon we're going to start getting updates on all of these internet peeps. :cool: it's somewhat melancholic to think "hey, I saw that video 10 years ago"... soon. :grin:

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It seems that a lot of times those kids that do the bullying end up working for those that they bullied.

DD

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Cool story, yo.

Bullies peak too early

6. Raven

Raven Member

I think that's a feel good myth.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

for the most part. I've seen a lot of ex jocks and a holes in high places too.

8. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

samfisher is going to work for you? :confused:

:grin:

anyhow, i'm sorry to hear the guy ended up in a psych ward for that. though it was funny, i can't imagine how the dude was treated. stay strong ghy.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That video is hilarious.

10. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

hhahahahhaha what the hell is that nerd doing

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i love the versions with the added effects. :grin:

12. dmc89

dmc89 Member

That is not true. Varies from industry to industry. I see that in some engineering firms though.

The kids that used to bully (mostly jocks) ended up as traders in banking. Due to their personality, they usually climb the corporate ladder faster than your quants/nerds. The corporate world and high school share some similarities.

13. TopsDrop

TopsDrop Member

Man, **** that dude!

14. Shaunjon

Shaunjon Member

even Arrested Development made fun of him

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/YcYGDaVjywmRGBYdmEzBqw"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/YcYGDaVjywmRGBYdmEzBqw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

He's a member of a glorified rotary club, he's still in school, he's got some kind of weird rosacia and a stupid smirk on his grin. And his parents sued for six figures for bullying.

16. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

That video still cracks me up.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Is it just me or does
    [​IMG]

look like an offspring of

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Great edited version:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3GJOVPjhXMY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3GJOVPjhXMY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

19. TISNF

TISNF Member

That video, in my opinion, was the first major internet meme hit. Top five video all time. The problem I had with this kid's "emotional trauma" is he didn't have to end up in a psych ward...he didn't have to let it offend him to the point where he ended up being alienated in a psych ward.

To think he's going to have long success because of his experiences is debatable; clearly he's going to have the "trauma" with him for years and years to come, when there should have been a point where he sucks it up, develops a thicker skin, and says "it was embarrassing, but you know, if it was anyone else I'd laugh just as much. So it's time to stop taking myself so seriously and laugh with it."

I wouldn't have wanted to go through what he supposedly went through, but everyone's had their share of social un-acceptance and criticism. Laughter is the best medicine.

But...this guy's probably going to end up being one of those lawyers that gets easily offended and takes himself too seriously; people will still make fun of him for one thing or another, but soon he'll have the ability to sue and prosecute. :rolleyes:

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ I believe "playball.avi" was more popular than this... but it was more of an UNDERGROUND hit... if you know what I mean... :eek: