1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

The Speech

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Dec 6, 2011.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Obama gave a speech today. It was a speech that should have been given many times by many Democrats and honest Republicans over the last 30 years.

Obama chose his site carefully. The Kansas town he delivered the speech was where TR delivered his justly famous "New Nationalism" speech. Some of the things Teddy said in 1910:

After praising the Civil War vets, TR quotes Lincoln...

Here's the heart of TR's message, though the whole speech is still relevent and worth reading:

With that as a backdrop, here are the highlights of Obama's speech as I see them.

After praising the Greatest Generation and recounting the causes of the economic meltdown...

He brings up TR's speech...

Good spech. Probably better in person than it reads. By most accounts, Obama wrote it himself. He's not quite Teddy, but what he said needed to be said... particularly the part about Republican economics being an absolute failure.

#1 rimrocker, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
    2 people like this.
  2. Hightop

Hightop Member

The best part was his talk about his assassination 16 year old US citizens and his continuing raids of medical mar1juana facilities. It sent a shrill up my leg. Dumbasses.

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

The Roosevelt connection was brilliant!

great post rim

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks, rimrocker. I had missed that, and I doubt the media will give it the time of day, unless a bird pooped on him or something.

TR was a phenomenal president. The more I read about him, the more I can't believe he actually existed.

Where will the next TR come from? I wish I could see it happening in my lifetime.

5. Major

Major Member

This should be the theme of his 2012 campaign.

6. mc mark

Probably is major

7. rimrocker

I don't think that word means what you think it means. However, I'm pretty sure the meaning of your last sentence is unintentional irony.

8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it will be.

and he will lose.

1 person likes this.
  9. Major

Major Member

Like he did PA and VA in 2008.

10. mc mark

let's keep it on the speech shall we?

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He gave a great speech about nationalism and what's on the front page of MSNBC is Alec Baldwin being kicked off a plane. This country is ****ed.

12. basso

Supporting Member

worse.

but you keep ****ing that chicken.

13. Major

Major Member

I've been curious what he'd pivot to. He can't run the 2008 campaign again, and he really can't run with "Republicans suck" as President. He has to present an alternative vision, and it seems like he found one. I hope he pounds this theme over and over and over again. It has the potential to be a truly powerful message - and one that speaks to a lot of the anger of both OWS people and Tea Partiers (though they won't for him anyway). It's just a message that has a powerful ability to resonate. And maybe more importantly, it's a hard theme for the GOPer to argue *against*.

If Europe collapses, it likely doesn't matter. But if it doesn't, and the race is competitive, I love the way he's positioning himself.

14. basso

Supporting Member

auch ich.

15. rimrocker

Well, he's not coming from the Republican Party anytime soon.

16. rimrocker

I believe I speak for all others in this thread when I say that even though it might be temporarily satisfying, the best thing to do is to not scratch it.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Too much specific policy that too closely allies with one party over another for me, personally, to consider it an objectively great speech. I feel that a great speech needs to transcend ideology and/or somehow bookmark an historical event or era. If this ends up spurring tax policies that end up balancing the budget, reducing debt, raising the standard of living such that both sides end up agreeing with or appreciating the policies, over time, then I would change my opinion of the speech.

For some reason I felt his nomination speech, especially the "ownership society/on your own" stuff, was a little more compelling speech. And then McCain's concession speech, just because of the TR/Booker T. Washington reference.

18. basso

Supporting Member

with present deficits, there's no such thing.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's a function of one party basically losing its bearings and cynically selling out as openly and obviously as possible to an idea - more power to the powerful - that just doesn't have a whole lot of benefits.

20. basso

Supporting Member

Troo.

[​IMG]