1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The South Still Lies About the Civil War & Slavery

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Mar 19, 2013.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

There is a disconnect. To him that IS NOT a racists comment. Thus, he believes he is not racist. His idea of not being racist is someone who interacts with other races. Notice how every time someone accuses him of racism his immediate response is along the lines of "I work with people of so and so race" or "I personally know people of so and so race" as if interacting with a certain race gives him the green light to spew out any derogatory comment he wants about that race.

#61 fchowd0311, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lol you two

just because I said there are stinky Indian people in the world doesn't mean

A) All Indians are stinky
    B) Other races don't have stinky people
    and
    C) That I discriminate based on smell of the affected Indians in question

Your witch hunt is comical. Good humor, gents

3. fchowd0311

please tell me how you saying "raping everybody + disgusting body odor + bed bugs + ****ing in a hole in the ground" is NOT a generalization of a race of certain people? You fall back after you made a stupid statement by saying "I don't mean all indians". How are we supposed to assume you were not generalizing a race with that initial comment?

4. bigtexxx

hilarious

The better question is how you jumped to assume that I meant every single Indian stinks.

You're frustrated. I might suggest taking a deep breath and moving along. You're not winning any arguments here.

have a nice day

5. fchowd0311

I guess I was wrong in assuming that you were stereotyping when you said "raping everybody + disgusting body odor + bed bugs + ****ing in a hole in the ground" in reference to an ENTIRE NATION.:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  6. bigtexxx

Zboy and Nook broached all those topics earlier in the thread

and yes you were wrong.

7. fchowd0311

well explain why I was wrong. You made a statement "raping everybody + disgusting body odor + bed bugs + ****ing in a hole in the ground". It was about an entire country. I made the logical assumption you were stereotyping an entire nation. You also referred to smelly Indians in another thread about oriental Asians not needing deodorant. I find it pretty logical to assume it was a racist comment. Anyone besides Bigtexxx disagree with me here?

8. bigtexxx

love the appeal to your friends for the pile on. I guess you can't stand on your own?

All those things were mentioned by others in the thread prior to my mentioning them. I meant they were present in India. I don't know how you extrapolate that to mean every single Indian rapes, smells like body odor, has bed bugs in their bed and ****s in a hole in the ground.

So you're wrong.

9. fchowd0311

I don't think even the most ardent racist would say EVERY SINGLE person of that particular race has the quality the racist was stereotyping.

Bigtexxx, do you believe an indian man is more prone to body odor than a white man?

10. bigtexxx

I have no data to prove or disprove that. What do you think?

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It is clear that there is no proof that bigtexxx is a bigot so I urge you all to be the bigger men and stop persecuting him for his posts. heheh

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So people should just shut up and take it when people do that stuff and not call them out?

I grew up in the south. And the racism there is pervasive. And people talk about the good ole days before Yankees took over - STILL! The confederate flag and the old south is a symbol for slavery - the reason the war was fought was because of slavery. The flag exists for that reason.

It is extremely racist down there. And I think calling it out is far more effective than lying down and taking it.

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

As I noted earlier, there are many, many quotes from southerners on the cause of the Civil War. The major issue was slavery and southerners were not shy in making it known...

(Looking at that first quote, I seem to remember a poster on here taking a similar stance on the Declaration.)

And then there is the Texas Declaration of Secession...

If there be any doubt about the primary cause of the Civil War, here's a summation...

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Do you think the 48% of white Southerners mentioned in the OP's article are racists?

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great post. There's no doubt that was the major cause for southern secession from the union. The bit about State's rights is revisionist history. There were other things the South was grumpy about, but none of that was enough to make the secede. Slavery was the issue that made it enough for the southern states.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Racist Southerners? A bit simplistic aren't we?

Go to Chicago, Indiana, Michigan, large parts of Ohio and you will every bit as much racism directed against African Americans as in the South. Hell Chicago is absurdly segregated and it was done at a governmental level.

People love to simplify issues to the point that they lose reason. There were horrible racists in the South in the 1850's... And in the North as well. Hell there was a strong minority of proslavery advocates in the North.

To gloss over that half the country owned human beings is wrong. However it is also wrong to believe that the North was the white knight. There were many economic and political issues at play, with them rooted to the issue of slavery.

To the author, instead of worrying about some ignorant jackass at a NASCAR even with a rebel flag, why not write about the poverty and incarceration levels of African Americans... The systemic and tolerated racism in areas like Chicago. I suspect folks don't do that because they want an easy target and boogy man.

1 person likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I don't think having a crappy education that mis-informs you makes you racist, no.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

No doubt there is racism everywhere you go on this earth. North south east and west. No one is saying otherwise. What you are assuming is that if you criticize one group you are giving everyone else a free pass. Don't assume, ask.

The south racism is endemic into the culture. That's the difference. I don't care about some confederate flag waving moron at a NASCAR event. Unless you are living under a rock, you have to know what you are doing. I grew up in New Orleans, and let me tell you how racist of a town that is. If you think it's even comparable to NYC, you have no clue.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The article also mentions that roughly the same amount of white NON-southerners think the same as well as 39% of the blacks that responded.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

glynch still lies about other people being warmongers who want children dead.