1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The solution for the Rockets at shooting guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KingCheetah, Dec 23, 2023.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hey, we have swindled teams on Jeremy Lamb, Donte Greene, etc before. Well, Darryl Morey did. :cool:

Easy and NewAge like this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

People were on Jalen when he was shooting 35% from 3 so that point is moot. My point was simply FVV isn’t used properly. You can’t force a player who has never been a good finisher in the paint to get the most touches and second most shot attempts on the team. Finishing or drawing fouls in the paint is important and if a player isn’t proficient at it then playing him in a system that features him in this role seems forced and misused. The offense has stalled quite a bit if a Sengun PNR or post isn’t there and FVV is forced to hoist up a long 2 or mid range J. There has to be balance between FVV and Green in terms of touches and ball sharing but also the coaches need to create opportunities and lanes for Green. Green isn’t merely a spot of 3 pt shooter. He is best on the break, iso, or dribble handoff top of key to create. His paint numbers last year was up among league’s best. So why the drop off this year? The issue I believe is usage and opportunity and Udoka isn’t using FVV or Green where they are at their best.

anthony59237 likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

If the #1 scoring option wasn't such an abject failure, maybe we would spend some time complaining about the 3rd or 4th option.

4. TheBeastSystem

trev's defense must be bad cuz he's been filling it up everywhere he's been for several years

topfive likes this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

6. Dredd

Dredd Member

Ok.

7. MystikArkitect

There are no centers.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jalen wasn't consistent and when he was shooting 35% it was a mix of him shooting 41% one game and 28% the next. Sure Jalen might not be put in the best position to succeed but this is the Houston Rockets not the Jalen Rockets. It's the same thing last year when no plays were being called for Jabari, it's cuz he sucks and the coach ain't gonna design a play for a dude who can't shoot open shots. Jabari had to adapt and change his game, he went from no 1 option in college to learning how to scrap and get 2nd chance points now look how good he is now.

Same thing here. Jalen is scoring 52% TS so if the coach wants to win why should he design plays for Jalen at the expense of the team? OK Jalen scores more but at what cost? So the team efficiency takes a huge hit? Makes zero sense. Tbh Udoka is already being considerate of Green by not taking him off the starting lineup, Green should be locking himself in the gym with Sullivan to fix his broken J. With a TS of 52% that means every time coach designs a play for Green that's just asking for a clank and turnover.

The reality is moving off the ball and shooting open shots should be a requirement for all NBA guards. If Jalen can't do that he doesn't deserve to be a part of this team's starting lineup.

As for your complaint about FVV the reason is because Jalen Green is playing like a scrub that's why FVV attempts are climbing. If the SG can't shoot 3s it just make it harder for everyone else to score that's why FVV is being forced to take more shots in the paint cuz only he is being respected from the 3 pt line.

#28 roslolian, Dec 27, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't want Amen hanging around FVV after what happened to Jalen (offseason training). Not going to chance it.

Stephen_A likes this.
  10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Not that simple my dude. Again it’s a team not one player. Have you been part of any team in your life? Do you call other team mates failures? What if someone called you a failure? How would you feel? I really don’t get the singling out one cog in the machine. There’s several games FVV misfired in crucial points in the game like last night. Several 4-6 TO nights for Sengun or poor defensive nights. Several poor shooting nights for Bari. Udoka wants him to be a 3rd option in this offense and it’s evident after 29 games. It’s not working. FVV isn’t Murray, Ja or Haliburton. Square peg in round hole.

11. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Hmm, maybe Jalen should've worked out one on one with Westbrook, seems like a good person to teach him how to leverage his athleticism into contributions on the court...

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

As bad as you think FVV played Jalen played much worse so I don't really understand what your point is other than you are extremely biased towards Jalen Green. If FVV is a square peg then Jalen right now isn't even a peg, he's like the dirt on the peg that's how bad he has been playing as of late and that's why he is getting so much hate.

13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

That’s your assumption not necessarily truth. The Rockets are one of the top teams playing PNR and the Rockets utilize FVV heavily in this role as the PNR ball handler. They run the offense through him and Sengun from beginning of the season. You agreed with me players need to be put in positions to succeed and this is just it. Over relying on a PG that is a poor paint scorer and mediocre dribble drive guy is one reason why the offense isn’t where it needs to be. I never said the whole team runs through Green or that he is the only player we should care about did I? Put him in a position to succeed and this first 30 games as a third option isn’t it.

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Rephrase what your point is because it makes no sense

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

If he is failing as the 3rd option why should he be the 2nd or first option? If somebody failed his application as a janitor do you make him the president instead? Makes zero sense.

16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Re read what I wrote dude

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

You keep saying FVV is bad so make plays for Jalen Green but Jalen plays worse than FVV. You keep blaming FVV for the loss but last I checked JG had the worst plus minus and always seems to have the worst plus minus every game among the starters.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

I reread it and it's a very Jalen centric pov. I like Jalen but I care about the Rox more than Jalen. Just like Jabari last year he has to get with the times otherwise he won't be a good player on this team.

What the Rox want from him is what every good SG needs to do. Otherwise he is just gonna be an empty stats padder and won't be useful for a team trying to win games.

19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I didn’t blame anyone you did.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL you just said FVV is a square peg in a round hole and the reason we lost this game.