1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The smart play (once again)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 4, 2023.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After Wemby....

Forget about moving up for Scoot. Way too costly to move up.

Miller has character issues, and questions on the court.

Amen is a boom or bust guy IMO...not the percentage play we need here.

Jarace Walker is the answer. He can guard 1-5, and has more than a little Julius Randle in him on the offensive side. (got the three, great vision, a great midrange game, and can work inside)
    Also, he's the long athletic guy that Ime loves, which we need more of. Walker will get quality minutes right away, but this is a manchild who will grow into a beast. The teams that pass on an opportunity to move on him are going to regret it for a long time. And, we are in the catbird's seat.
    We talk up Amen, holding him ransom...and then fork over the pick for a nice haul...moving back a couple of spots for JW.

It's the smart play.

Eat em Up, and ...Go Rockets!

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good thread

daywalker02 and Plowman like this.
  3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I honestly think the least risky pick where the rockets are picking is Cam Whitmore. His floor is super high, but he’s got the upside you need out of the #4 pick. If the Scouts say Miller is the clear #2 or #3 player in this draft I guess I can live with that. But I have no problem taking Whitmore over Thompson. I don’t think Walker has the upside of Cam, Amen or Miller, but he’d be a great pick at like #7

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I have less expectations basically because I have been thru the Greens and the Jabaris and the Sengüns and Taris.

Someone like Jarace would be the safer pick.

I would not mind Whitmore, Ausar, Black or a surprise pick.

I do not think those picks between 4-7 are worlds apart as people make them out to be.

I think someone picked all their flaws but we could play the game all week long. Twice on weekends.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've been saying the exact same thing for a while now. I like Walker a LOT more than the guards that can't shoot. He gives you a massive boost to the defense and I think he has upside as a shooter.

No matter what, you know he's going to give you above the rim play and more than solid defense. That makes him the safe play.

fattz, groovemachine and Plowman like this.
  6. mightybosstone

I like Walker, but if you have a top 4 pick and you're a rebuilding team with no obvious superstar on the roster, you have to swing for the fences and draft players with the highest ceilings.

Walker is a safe top 10 pick. If the Rockets were in a position to go safe or if they were drafting in that 6-8 range, I'd be all for it. But given their roster and who's there at 4, you go with Amen or Whitmore, IMO. This may be the last top pick they have for a while. They can't afford to play it safe.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

burlesk likes this.
  8. marinara

marinara Member

JC the star baby

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Taylor Hendricks?

prs325 and fattz like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but Ime Udoka seems to be the safe guy, I think he does not want another scandal, so I am guessing his picks would be safe too.

I am not too okay with Amen because he would need a lot of work and at least another 3 years.

I like Whitmore but he is a tad too young, 18, you would have to wait for his maturity to come along.

clos4life likes this.
  11. sydmill

sydmill Member

I like Walker, but what does he do to Eason and Smith? All 3 guys are probably best playing the same spot. At 4 I'd prefer to get more flexibility than I think Walker provides.

If there was a way to get 6 & 11 from Orlando I would be all over Walker and Wallace as a combo that starts to give more of a defensive identity.

#11 sydmill, Jun 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
  12. NewAge

NewAge Member

Amen can pass but can't shoot. Whitmore can shoot but can't pass.... Either one is years away, which means even if they blossom, likely will be for another team. Honestly, both of them have less of a chance to become a star than Jalen Green, and I don't think Green has much of a chance... So we're talking a very small hypothetical of a star player.

Walker will give you production much sooner.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Jarace Walker can't fit with Sengun and his fit with Jabari isn't ideal either. He's the safest pick, not the best fit.

Ausar Thompson the jack of all trades might be safe enough and he has upside too. A good role player on a position of need.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is one of those drafts that has a 7 ft 5 guy at the top and then everyone after that is either a guard or someone below 6’9 until the 10th pick or something.

That is weird to me.

saleem likes this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

Nah

Bo6 likes this.
  16. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm starting to think there's a chance Walker really drops a lot. I've been seeing more and more boards having him around #8 to #10. I wonder if there is any way we could trade up to get both Amen and Walker? I wouldn't count on it happening, but that would a great outcome, getting both a high-upside moonshot and a high-floor defensive/connective guy like Walker to hedge bets.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

On the contrary, the fit is pretty good, especially if you are hell bent on having guys like Green and Sengun on the court, a guy like Walker could make up for their defensive shortcomings.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is the smart plan - 20 win seasons indefinitely until we get lucky - who's with me?

payaso likes this.
  19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Not that I disagree entirely BUT this probably needs to be treated as our last opportunity to grab a player with a mega high ceiling. Personally, I am of the opinion that between the odds of us keeping our pick next year or the Brooklyn pick being very high we will get another bite at the Apple. BUT just in case, I was us to grab Whitmore at #4 and then move up for Walker.

#20 and the Brooklyn pick with 1-5 protection and Christopher should do.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

They play different positions, one is a PG and the other is a SF. PG need to be able to shoot way more than a SF needs to create.

The limited passing needed by a SF can likely be taught. While running a P-n-R, once past the pick the ball handler has the shot, a pass to roller or another pass if help comes. This is a play taught/run by all teams which most players learn.

In contrast to the “oh-**** there is 5 seconds on the clock it is time to create” non-play.

RC Cola likes this.